• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HDHP: Lori MacNichol - Intro To Backcountry Flying - Wednesday June 10, 7pm CDT

Reducing the throttle works fine for takeoff. Landings though are a different kettle of fish.

Yes, and even takeoffs are different. High density altitude has a significant effect on engine power, thrust AND lift. So, just reducing power on takeoff sorta replicates high DA, but..... Best deal is to come up here to the hills and practice some actual density altitude ops.

MTV
You are both correct. My comment was only as an observation as to what and how initial training was done with me at less than 8 TT. This was initial training in a sea level environment, in a low horsepower airplane with the most advanced instrument being a slip ball. It was part of teaching me how to fly a wing. The highest elevation airport in the State was an hour away at only 1009 msl. What is demonstrated and practiced during initial training makes a big and often lifetime impression. Techniques learned during those early hours have come back and saved my bacon many times since. That artificial high altitude demonstration take off early on could save someone else once they are out in an unfamiliar environment on their own.

Hi DA is big factor. There was a day in the Pacer where the 7000 ft runway in Rawlins, Wy was just about not enough.

You are both correct. My comment was only as an observation as to what and how initial training was done with me at less than 8 TT. This was initial training in a sea level environment, in a low horsepower airplane with the most advanced instrument being a slip ball. It was part of teaching me how to fly a wing. The highest elevation airport in the State was an hour away at only 1009 msl. What is demonstrated and practiced during initial training makes a big and often lifetime impression. Techniques learned during those early hours have come back and saved my bacon many times since. That artificial high altitude demonstration take off early on could save someone else once they are out in an unfamiliar environment on their own.

Pete,

We agree that you have to do what you can with DA training. We were simply making the point that it is really difficult to accurately represent high DA at low elevations, but you have to do what you can. But, DA is a sneaky little bastard, even near sea level.

id spent 11 years in cool coastal Alaska Flying floats and wheels when I moved to Fairbanks. Warmest temps I’d flown in was maybe 70 F for years. I was handed the keys to a brand new 1985 Cessna 185 on floats. I’d heard that these new Cessnas were real dogs compared to the old ones I’d flown earlier. And, I’d been flying a Beaver mostly for several years.

So, got in that shiny 185 and started moving GW loads.......434 msl, mind you.....and holy cats.....rumors were true, that brand new plane was a DOG! On about day three of this nonsense, it occurred to me from waaay back in my pilot training somewhere, a smart instructor had done precisely what you described, Pete......and a light bulb came on. Glowing dully, but still.....

So, I started calculating DA at Fairbanks and 94 degrees F and the Upper Yukon at 100F. Turns out that brand new 185 was a hell of performer! I was just too dumb to realize it for a while.

Point is: Density Altitude is a sneaky bastard......it’ll creep up on you if you’re not paying attention. And it’s hard to accurately simulate at low DA.

MTV

Back