• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Simple things never stay that way

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
400C8A65-B1DB-45BF-8E6C-7C18653DAD5C.jpg
One Of the greatest sources of pride and satisfaction I have is owning my own airstrip. Some would see it as a chore, but I cleared it , stumped it , brought in 15000 yds fill, screened loam and seeded it, fertilized and watered it. It doesn’t take long to mow it, usually 1 cold one, and be sure to leave the cellphone in the truck.

Now instead of getting lost for 30 minutes I have to be on the phone with Kubota dealer to explain why the dang thing is tripping a DPF filter regen every 10 mins. The whole diesel fuel emissions issue is a huge pain in the rear
we have to inject diesel fuel into the DPF to burn off the soot it smokes and shakes and lights flash then keep on mowing. Seems like 15 years ago we had more+reliable engine performance than today at a lot less cost
i don’t have much advice since all the codes and regen are happening across the different fleet it doesn’t matter what color tractor you run. All I can add is not buy a Kubota, I have had terrible luck getting this resolved at the local dealer, and the new england Kubota rep could care less

Attachments

• 400C8A65-B1DB-45BF-8E6C-7C18653DAD5C.jpg
    400C8A65-B1DB-45BF-8E6C-7C18653DAD5C.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,849
Last edited:
There are times I find happiness with my 1972 Kubota. Heck I no longer have a battery in it, I just use an Earth X pack. It starts the old engine better than the humongous Grp 72 battery did which one can not access if the bucket is down.

Jim are you going to install a GPS guidance system so you can get some free time with your plane and not have to sit there for an hour mowing the runway?

Jim, My last Kubota lost the bearings on the front tire spindles 14 times they said it happens about every 500 hours but mine was about 200 that was a 3430 hstc had other major problems they never fixed so traded for 5240 hstc and have only lost the bearings twice so far in this one. Kubota dealers say it's because of the turf tires I think it's a design flaw with too small of a bearing. Hope you get yours fixed soon to do away with the aggravation.

View attachment 48957
One Of the greatest sources of pride and satisfaction I have is owning my own airstrip. Some would see it as a chore, but I cleared it , stumped it , brought in 15000 yds fill, screened loam and seeded it, fertilized and watered it. It doesn’t take long to mow it, usually 1 cold one, and be sure to leave the cellphone in the truck.

Now instead of getting lost for 30 minutes I have to be on the phone with Kubota dealer to explain why the dang thing is tripping a DPF filter regen every 10 mins. The whole diesel fuel emissions issue is a huge pain in the rear
we have to inject diesel fuel into the DPF to burn off the soot it smokes and shakes and lights flash then keep on mowing. Seems like 15 years ago we had more+reliable engine performance than today at a lot less cost
i don’t have much advice since all the codes and regen are happening across the different fleet it doesn’t matter what color tractor you run. All I can add is not buy a Kubota, I have had terrible luck getting this resolved at the local dealer, and the new england Kubota rep could care less

A few years back when you took us in there to see where you wanted to build a hangar I thought you had a couple screws loose. Leftovers from an old town dump didn't seem to bother you. An then you pointed to the biggest pile of junk and said " my spousal unit doesn't know it yet but she's going to build here dream house here"
My friend, you made all those dreams come true.

Glenn

I am a huge Kubota fan, and have been running them for over 20 years. I currently have a 2 year old (bought new, can't tell for sure from your pic but maybe you have the same) L3301 tractor, a U 25S mini excavator (300 hrs TT) and a Jacobsen flail mower with a 3 banger K engine. Your issue could be, and I'm sure you have heard of this, ... too low of RPM for too long, letting that new anti pollution crap get all gunked up. My mower and excavator have none of that new stuff, and they run great. So does my 3301, now that i keep the revs up. It took me a while to learn to live with the higher rpm's, close to PTO speed for most operations, and if I idle for more then 15 seconds I just shut it off. Kubota equipment of all kinds have a very high resale value, I sold my first tractor after 10 years of use for $1000.00 less then I paid for it. All small diesel engine manufacturers are wrestling with these new soot reduction regs.

Someone needs to start a bandit business, offering kits and instructions as to how to safely (though illegally maybe) remove all that exhaust system junk, and get it back to a basic and simple diesel engine. I'd be their first customer. I do know it's not as simple as just removing things, or I would have done it by now myself.

Having your own grass runway....I'm with you there!

Attachments

• IMG_20200319_170127272~3.jpg
    IMG_20200319_170127272~3.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 159
.... owning my own airstrip. Some would see it as a chore, but I cleared it , stumped it , brought in 15000 yds fill....

Did I read that right-- fifteen thousand yards? Wow!
With the usual 10 yard dump truck, that's 1,500 loads-
and that's if you get the full 10 yards in each time.
Again, wow!

Biodiesel is the more simple way to clean the air in a diesel. I used to make it from french fry grease at the local restaurant and ran it at 50% blend with diesel in my 1976 4430 JD and 2006 VW Jetta. Oh did it ever smell good too!!!!! Then VW and JD went and did all the complicated emission stuff and that ended high % biodiesel blend. I don't make it anymore but am in a biodiesel plant that makes over 30 million gallons a year. Your airstrip and home are first class for sure.

i own john deere stuff and all there stuff is total junk, there a service departments gold mine. pretty much if you call them with a issue be ready to part with 5 grand, i know it costs that much when they push the open button on there shop doors.

There are two folks now in the country who can delete the DPF function from Kabota small engines You have to send them your ECU and $3300. They send yousent you back the ECU and a pipe to replace the DPF filter. They also do a bypass of the EGR valve on Kabota‘s which is sucking pure exhaust out into the Engine. The Internet is full of dock rooms talking about this problem. Orange talk is one, tractor by net another.

Courier guy you are correct, the best method is to never let them I’ll you can watch it build up on the percentage of p.m. function in the display.

Glenn I forgot about you guys being in here in prehistoric times. That must’ve been 2014?

. Yes it was 15,000 yards. We built a big irrigation pond just on the end of my airstrip It was about six weeks with three dump trucks nonstop. It actually worked out well because I had to keep them busy somehow And the dump trucks we’re just Local junks and I picked up to build the airstrip and sold them for 2000 more than I bought them for

If you pass through Maine please and stop in.

jim

Glenn earning his keep by replacing the windscreen on Jim’s tractor in 2016.403FD481-69E6-4207-947E-EF7C40F83D97.jpeg

Attachments

• 403FD481-69E6-4207-947E-EF7C40F83D97.jpeg
    403FD481-69E6-4207-947E-EF7C40F83D97.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 181
Back in 2017 I posted the following. Side note, the engine drove like it had 100 more hp on tap.
Should have done this the day the warranty expired.

How to reduce Winter Weight:
120.5 lbs of EPA mandated crap removed from my F350. Hey look, I get good mileage now. Hey look, my engine doesn't have to smoke out the neighborhood during the Exhaust Cleaning Cycle anymore. Hey look, my engine might actually last now that it's not trying to burn the exhaust twice. Just wish I could clean out the black gooey carbon mess from inside the engine.

IMG_9830.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Attachments

• IMG_9830.JPG
    IMG_9830.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 192
There are two folks now in the country who can delete the DPF function from Kabota small engines You have to send them your ECU and $3300. They send yousent you back the ECU and a pipe to replace the DPF filter. They also do a bypass of the EGR valve on Kabota‘s which is sucking pure exhaust out into the Engine. The Internet is full of dock rooms talking about this problem. Orange talk is one, tractor by net another.

Courier guy you are correct, the best method is to never let them I’ll you can watch it build up on the percentage of p.m. function in the display.

Glenn I forgot about you guys being in here in prehistoric times. That must’ve been 2014?

. Yes it was 15,000 yards. We built a big irrigation pond just on the end of my airstrip It was about six weeks with three dump trucks nonstop. It actually worked out well because I had to keep them busy somehow And the dump trucks we’re just Local junks and I picked up to build the airstrip and sold them for 2000 more than I bought them for

If you pass through Maine please and stop in.

jim

Post a link if possible to those delete outfits. But $3300.00 gives me pause, $1000.00, maybe $1500.00, I'd jump on it.
One of the things I love about my 2007 425 hp. Mack 30 ton boom truck, no DEF!

Do I see a seaplane pond in Jim’s future??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you won't believe this Tom, but I flew over Baleys airstrip and f,loat pond yesterday on the way to Hampton and started to figure out how much material he moved. A lot

missed you yesterday, I have two words for you: Boston Cream Pie French Toast
well, that's more than two

jik

you won't believe this Tom, but I flew over Baleys airstrip and f,loat pond yesterday on the way to Hampton and started to figure out how much material he moved. A lot

missed you yesterday, I have two words for you: Boston Cream Pie French Toast
well, that's more than two

jik

Judging by the way you were all licking your lips I would say Hmm Good:p

On a diesel? I would not be the one to spray anything combustible into an intake. Maybe some do?

RICE....uncooked.....is a very very good carbon deposit remover...
Once upon a time I liked John Deere...bought a new common rail 65kW...the first two warrantee repairs cost Deere more than I paid for the unit.
Figured out how NOT to have injector failure every 500-1000 hours..
Tried to order parts to convert to mechanical injection and was threatened with jail time if I did that?

Now have an exemption from the EPA...can buy export only non emission generators.. the kicker is...to use the exemption it needs to be for power production in rural Alaska.. think I could get away with buying a Kabota tractor with no emissions crap and use a PTO generator... then after the warranty is up in two months...sell it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It was pretty quiet from you side of the table when she left you that plate of Corizo Hash too:cheers

After I picked my neice up we came up the coast, and some guy named Breeden calling me on the cell phone, I just flew over his house.
Then part way up the mid coast, I found a really nice seafood restaurant. I have eaten there a couple of times. Just never looked at the nice piece of grass out front.
today I emailed the owner about landing in there with a half dozen other cubs, He was thrilled. stay tuned I need to go check it out and will report back. The lawn is about 420 x300 Should be a hoot some saturday
Jim

RICE....uncooked.....is a very very good carbon deposit remover...
Once upon a time I liked John Deere...bought a new common rail 65kW...the first two warrantee repairs cost Deere more than I paid for the unit.
Figured out how NOT to have injector failure every 500-1000 hours..
Tried to order parts to convert to mechanical injection and was threatened with jail time if I did that?

Now have an exemption from the EPA...can buy export only non emission generators.. the kicker is...to use the exemption it needs to be for power production in rural Alaska.. think I could get away with buying a Kabota tractor with no emissions crap and use a PTO generator... then after the warranty is up in two months...sell it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

find a old case or something at a auction where you can talk to the owner. there will not be another new john deere in the yard. most of there junk is from germany or mexico now anyway.

Regens are triggered by pressure differential across the filter so you either have a sensor problem or the filter is nearly clogged. My gut reaction is the filter is probably clogged. I know a couple local farmers who've cleaned them by filling them with solvent and shaking the bejeezus out of them. Wash rinse repeat. Then rinse it out with a hi-temp pressure washer. The tractors built in the time period of filter w/no DEF are the worst offenders.

@#%^^%%@)&*^#$%^ new fangled fancy electronic controlled computer engines.... grrrrr.

Loved spending my Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend tearing into every compartment of the excavator to find the fancy high dollar electronic system installed with an instant vibration short.

Or using more diesel to get the same work down because the new diesel won't produce power.

That is a great airstrip!! I am anxious to make enough progress to where I get to mow! We are not moving as much as you, but suspect we have about 4,000 yards moved, and looking at at least 7,000 yards to fill the second half. Just time and money, and the few equipment repairs.

Please keep the invite open through 2021, by then I will be ready to head back east and escape Alaska for a vacation.

Regens are triggered by pressure differential across the filter so you either have a sensor problem or the filter is nearly clogged. My gut reaction is the filter is probably clogged. I know a couple local farmers who've cleaned them by filling them with solvent and shaking the bejeezus out of them. Wash rinse repeat. Then rinse it out with a hi-temp pressure washer. The tractors built in the time period of filter w/no DEF are the worst offenders.
Exactly right Perry. Kubota says from the info in the ecm, I have stopped the regen process every time, so the warranty is not covering it. I should read the owners manual and familiarize mysef with the regen procedure. OK Kubota I: have This DPF filter is plugged up an$ they want 6800 to replace it. Both the dealer and
Kubota have basically said get lost. So I have cleared my desk of projects, and will spe nd my spare time spoiling at least 68000 bucks of business
BTW this all started with 500 hrs on tack

I have 300 TT on the L3301, and IF I ever have a similar issue, rather then give that money to Kubota, and end up with the same system (with possible/likely future hassles) it'd sure make it easier spending the dough on deleting it once and for all!.

Back