• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

XM

OLDCROWE

FRIEND
Meanwhile,...
I have an antenna I swap back and forth between airplanes with my 796 and its getting intermittent and causing a bunch of static on the audio circuit that goes away when you unplug the antenna. Guessing the antenna is breaking down, any thoughts?

Last edited:
I go through about 2 antennas a year. They get bad at the ends where they go in the plug and the antenna. They dont like any twisting. Breaks wires at the ends inside. Especialy if its magnet mount and you pull it off by the cord.

I run equipment so im constantly moving radio and antenna, if the riggs you are using your xm in are you own, the cheapest, bestest alternavive is to buy an antenna for each vehicle. Xm antennas on my cars ive never replaced. I go through two or more a year at work though because evryday its moved.

I run equipment so im constantly moving radio and antenna, if the riggs you are using your xm in are you own, the cheapest, bestest alternavive is to buy an antenna for each vehicle. Xm antennas on my cars ive never replaced. I go through two or more a year at work though because evryday its moved.
Wouldn’t that require multiple subscriptions?

No. Subscriptions go with the radio not the antennas. I velcro the radio in whatever im using it in. If i put it in my personal vehicle, there are already antennas there to hook to.
20200523_095701.jpg

Attachments

• 20200523_095701.jpg
    20200523_095701.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 140
Oldcrowe

Have a new connector crimped onto the cable. Not expensive and it's at a point of high stress.

Web

On the Garmin Aviation units subscription goes with the antenna. On my hockey puck 496 xm antenna’s the cord eventually breaks right where it goes into the antenna. I’m thinking of mounting the antenna and some cord to a base made of plastic, wood or aluminum then if it breaks it will be out in the cord away from the antenna and easy to splice. I’m on my 4th antenna since the 496 came out and my original unit still works perfect. I have no idea how many hundreds of thousands of tight turns it has on it with 14 years of Supercub and Ag flying but the electronic attitude indicators are still perfect all day every day.
Dave

Back