• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Top Cub stuff

ExConPilot

Oregon
After installing the elevator and rudder gap seals, aircraft has 2 degrees more nose up pitch authority at the stall and landing. I'm pleased. But.... Been hearing a lot of noise, aircraft sounded like a rattletrap! I found the flap cable was loose, slapping against the STC aluminum headliner in the back. I tightened the slack out of the cable, then with a moto tool adjusted the "notches" in the flap lever stop to meet the TCDS specifications, no more "rattletrap" noise. Also after 10 hours SMOH, dyno balanced the propeller, was .12 ips; now .04 ips, much smoother and quieter! No whitecaps on the compass fluid!:smile:

Smooth is good! I usually select cruise RPM settings in these planes based on what is smoothest. Some I run at 2450, some at 2300, I just really like smooth...

Smooth is good! I usually select cruise RPM settings in these planes based on what is smoothest. Some I run at 2450, some at 2300, I just really like smooth...

Troy - My Top Cub has some vibration as well between 22-2300 rpm. Hi power setting is smooth and below 2100 is smooth as well. I’ve owned the plane less then a year, wondering if I should look at getting my prop balanced. I have the cruise prop on it. I flew another cub earlier this week with a climb prop and I was impressed how smooth it was and any power setting....thoughts?
Thanks
Jim

Troy - My Top Cub has some vibration as well between 22-2300 rpm. Hi power setting is smooth and below 2100 is smooth as well. I’ve owned the plane less then a year, wondering if I should look at getting my prop balanced. I have the cruise prop on it. I flew another cub earlier this week with a climb prop and I was impressed how smooth it was and any power setting....thoughts?
Thanks
Jim

The Dept of Interior aviation maintenance staff manage all the balancing, so I actually don't know how frequently they do that, but it seems to be pretty regular. They had just done the beaver when we picked it up after annual/float install. I can't think of a reason why prop balance is a bad idea unless you are running so smooth that you don't want to risk any work that might change it for the worse...

Most climb props ( McCauley) restricted between 2150-2350. Most lycoming 0-360 have most harmonics around 2300. Even though I balanced the pistons, rods, crank, still rough until Dyno balanced. I would recommend 2300 tom for Dyno, but that's just my opinion

Thanks
Jim

You bet you should get your prop balanced, everyone should get their prop balanced! Even if you think its smooth there may still be vibration you can not feel but is still there doing damage to some of the components of your airplane.

Kurt

There is a RPM restriction between 2150-2350 with the McCauley climb prop, not with the wood or Sensenich.

g.

Loose flap cables? Every time my buddy's Cub came back from CC the flaps were restricted to 35 degrees and the cables were loose. Quick fix, except re-safetying the turnbuckles. Ugh.

Back