• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NE Summer Fun 2020

This morning heading for my garage IMG_20200611_055412.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_055412.jpeg
    IMG_20200611_055412.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 211
Seems to be big turtle day in the NE.
Interesting these are all in site withing a day in different regions and altitudes.

From a different camera my wife went outside with the older camera, here is where the young will hatch from.
IMG_5820.jpg IMG_5822.jpg

So Glenn, since your turtle broke we can send some replacements down to you once they are ready.

Attachments

• IMG_5820.jpg
    IMG_5820.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_5822.jpg
    IMG_5822.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 175
Something about the turtle being almost as big as they are or were a few years ago?

I decade ago when I first saw one of these passing through the yard and knowing at the time four of our cats were out I had a true fear. Now I realize that or other turtles pass by every year and there is no issue. The turtle does not seem to head to the pond either, not sure where she heads off to. I am told the will winter more than a mile from there summer location so it might be going to another fire pond further south. That pond has no human activity near it.

She decided to lay eggs in a pile of gravel next to the garage. When she was done I followed her 600ft back to my pondIMG_20200611_072913.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_072913.jpeg
    IMG_20200611_072913.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 134
Snapping turtles I assume-- are they aggressive?
Also curious if they sit on or otherwise tend their eggs,
or are they "fire and forget"?
No turtles tortoises or whatever here, except maybe sea turtles.

Snapping turtles I assume-- are they aggressive?
Also curious if they sit on or otherwise tend their eggs,
or are they "fire and forget"?
No turtles tortoises or whatever here, except maybe sea turtles.

Snappers yes, aggressive only if you put a body part if front of their jaw. Lay them and go, if nests are undisturbed usually very successful hatch rates. Far more in ponds than one might expect.

Correct to what VT Glenn says,
We, kind of for Ha-has marked the nest since it is in a travel area of our back yard.
IMG_5903.JPG

This is in some ways a game for us since we have never seen the hatching but this nest is pretty close to the back of the house, as in less than 50'. We are told the hatching could be Sept or later. That is close to when, well first snow used to be.

Here is a link to moving turtles,
https://youtu.be/Lgd_B6iKPxU

This turtle when it left our yard was not traveling towards our pond which is about 300' from this nest. This year as well as previous years she heads southwards through wood land towards another pond just off my land about 1000' away. That pond has little to no human activity on or near it. She travels in from a wooded area to the north.

Here is a writeup my wife submitted to the Vermont Journal.
https://vermontalmanac.org/snapping-turtle-nest/

Attachments

• IMG_5903.JPG
    IMG_5903.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 252
For those of us who appreciate them (NY Glenn not ) they are quite interesting along with tasty if prepared right.
The timing of
hatching varies according to temperature and other environmental conditions, but the young gen- erally hatch in 80 to 90 days. In more northern areas, snapping turtles may overwinter in the nest in the hatchling state. Hatchlings use an “egg tooth” to break open the leathery shell.

We read that road side nests it has been observed the eggs can withstand being driven over. They must be tough little things.
Looks like we are in for a warmer than normal summer so we might see the hatching, lord knows what next fall will be like around here.

My Grandson told me that it was that long and I didn’t know. We have a Wood turtle that laid eggs in the middle of my runway,lol, should be safe there in the middle.

OK back on floats this Friday then off to Maine. Ill fly over any COVID and avoid the Mills quarantine. :p

For those of us who appreciate them (NY Glenn not ) they are quite interesting along with tasty if prepared right.
The timing of
hatching varies according to temperature and other environmental conditions, but the young gen- erally hatch in 80 to 90 days. In more northern areas, snapping turtles may overwinter in the nest in the hatchling state. Hatchlings use an “egg tooth” to break open the leathery shell.

I have snappers lay eggs in my riverside driveway (seldom used). Every year I find the shells laying on top of the gravel after our neighborhood mink has breakfast. Every year for 26 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Watch the river levels there, stumps come up early when the water lowers down which looking at a boating event I normally go to early this month one had to use allot of caution.

You bet, the black river power commission runs water levels up. And down like crazy. I grew up just north of there. I have been landing in the river and the channel landing to the south over the Northville bridge are usually good. If you guys want I’ll post when they start dropping the water levels.
There is one place we call stump alley on the west side that claims a few boats every year.
Glen, Stu will be here in the morning if your free.

Stu said he’s tired and needs to rest up before flying today. Come over if you can or we’ll see how tomorrow looks.

Back on July 5th we were at Stewart & Johns. They were hoppin and the field is cut low. Not sure if it is a cover crop or they need one more growing session before planes are allowed. We did not hook up with any of the family to ask. Anyone checked on this?

40m you guys should have landed in that field just south of Snake Mountain. Nancy was waving you in. Been in many times with a stock 7AC.

House across from Krawzics' mill on Mountain Road. Airplanes were circling the house and she assumed I had led you there.

Back