• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NE Summer Fun 2020

Wow, you do get warmer days down your way. Not been over 70 here, but it has been real nice out.

Looks like the Ice will be out at camp maybe this week-end or early next week. nice to have things warming up.

Not sure about 80 yet but I was able to open the door the other day.....and it still makes all the difference in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

So, if summer is here, it must be time for memorial day fly-bys. We got an hours notice that the local guard was going to perform a lap around the state doing a pass over each state hospital. Being that for some reason I am well versed where our local hospital is we drove up and hung around. Sat for a half hour and I was surprised how many cars came in around us.
Carolyn said they were to fly over at 12:21, she was outside the car having a smoke. I turned the key on to see 12:19 on the car's clock, grabbed my camera and was crossing the street when I heard someone call out, "here they come". I spun around as the camera was coming up, one pass but my time at airshows around the country trained me enough that I still got my shots off.
They were running low, might have been right down to hard deck at 500AGL, it was a nice pass and was the first time I saw them without afterburners on.
IMG_1521.jpg IMG_1524.jpg IMG_1528.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 215
Well, 2 weeks ago I made this

Today, this

Gotta love life in upstate NY

Glenn

Last edited:
Sad news, one of the four J4/1320 Amigo's in this photo went west on Saturday night. 1st J4

My good pal Dave Winrock 77 had been feeling not quite himself the last couple months. Got in last week to see a Doctor and they ran some tests. They told him he had Leukemia and might make it a couple months with their help. Dave said thanks but I'm going home. Dave was an amazing craftsman, almost everything he had he bought damaged and rebuilt it. Flooded house on lake Champlain that no one wanted, hail damaged C172 that he got from insurance and redskinned. Rebuilt EDO 1320 floats, then restored his J4 over the winter. Has a C30 1976 Chevy duelly that he shoehorned a Ford/IHC 7.3 into. Rebuild a RV6 that got hit by a car, he bought it off of eBay, had it flying in 7 months and had less then 18k in it. His lastest project was a damaged R22 Robinson he got last year and started taking lessons at 77. Never got discouraged with any job, just a fun new challenge to solve.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1584629808344031&id=100003910823413

Also Island Bob's lifetime best friend.

Blue skies my friend, I enjoyed every second with you

Glenn

Last edited:
Just got back from Sacandaga , did a few landings in the water, beautiful day. Flew the M-7-260 on wips. Anybody on floats yet? I have the TwinBee flying now also, did some splashes last week.
Pete if you read this , have you ever tied a couple of Kayaks on a Bee? I’m guessing you are the one who would know. ��

Not on the outside, that's what the bow door is for. Fold down the seat backs or take out the right and 5th seats, put them inside. You can get a lot of stuff inside. Where would you place them outside? The landing gear takes up a lot of the available space.

I suppose you could hang them under the wings. :smile:

Cat-Bird-Innovator-closeup-LGB-9.77-KKK.jpg

I saw this airplane flying at Norwood in the 60s. Very impressive.

Attachments

• Cat-Bird-Innovator-closeup-LGB-9.77-KKK.jpg
    Cat-Bird-Innovator-closeup-LGB-9.77-KKK.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 258
Just got back from Sacandaga , did a few landings in the water, beautiful day. Flew the M-7-260 on wips. Anybody on floats yet? I have the TwinBee flying now also, did some splashes last week.
��

Do you generally go to Sand Island to hang, or Sport Island Pub for some food?
I guess it could be just for a place to set down for the fun of it?

View attachment 49241

The added engines are interesting, not sure I had seen that in the past. Probably real handy when water taxiing.

But the boats being slung transom first, must be the additional drag is less the issue than the downforce at the bow of the hulls if they faced forward.

The added engines are interesting, not sure I had seen that in the past.

But the boats being slung transom first, must be the additional drag is less the issue than the downforce at the bow of the hulls if they faced forward.
There would be more drag if they were bow first. Look behind a boat in the water, very draggy. That's why the stern of the bigger boats are more pointed.

The extra engines in this plane were a one off modification for the owner, Dr. Forrest Bird.

There would be more drag if they were bow first. Look behind a boat in the water, very draggy. That's why the stern of the bigger boats are more pointed.
Not necessarily, the fluidic properties in the air is considerably different than in water due to the vast difference in specific gravity of the fluids affecting the Coanda effect. The hull hung under the wing, transom first has tremendous turbulence, but little downforce.
The bow forward will have downforce rather far forward with disturbed airflow aft.
If it were like a Dory, AKA a displacement hull pointed on each end it might fly better under the wing but would be all but useless as a fast response craft on water since they are not a planing hull.

I fully expect the lift of the hull facing forwards is a greater issue than the overall drag when stern first.
If you have carried a hull rooftop on a car, especially back in the days when we used rope, the hull was not actually on the roof when up at speed.
And that speed was ¼ to ½ what these planes travel at.

This is great stuff. I once found a boat , about a 12-14’ aluminum, that had been dropped from an airplane.I was guiding a hunt way out in Western AK. The front was caved in several feet. Would have loved to see that one.I think it would be easier to just buy a couple inflatable Kayak’s. There are some easy to blow up and some great pumps out now.

Not on the outside, that's what the bow door is for. Fold down the seat backs or take out the right and 5th seats, put them inside. You can get a lot of stuff inside. Where would you place them outside? The landing gear takes up a lot of the available space.

View attachment 49241

My dad was the last person or one of the last to fly that airplane. Very interesting history on that airplane.

Kurt

Someone please give the story on the Catalina - one of my favorites. That looks so interesting but I gather it is no longer around? Different thread if need be..

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Got a experimental float pallet constructed over the weekend for 29 ME. It is constructed of recycled plastic pallets. Will let you know how it works out. John

Today I found a snake skin next to the pool filter that measured 46”. Man alive I’m ready to head back to Alaska! This just isn’t safe down south in Northern NY.

That one is yours, this is ours, she just laid her eggs last night.
IMG_1750.JPG IMG_1792.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 218
Back