• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

There is nothing at harbor freight that is worth the gas to get there.

Buying jack stands to support a vehicle you might crawl under from harbor freight is not a good idea.

I disagree, 400k jackstands to guys who never would have bought snap-on $100 ones. I bet only one failed like Piper wing struts. I bet they saved 100s of lives?

Glenn

Have had great service out of the pair of Snap-On jack stands I bought in a pawnshop over 30 years ago. Still have my grandfather's "Made In USA" jackstands that didn't cost that much when new.

If only Tim Allen would have had Harbor Freight jack stands...:)

sj

[emoji23]he’s checking his this morning....

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

20200520_084937.jpg

Not only can they drop a car on you, but they can cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm (in California)

Attachments

• 20200520_084937.jpg
    20200520_084937.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 206
Interesting, I have dozens of pairs of jackstands that have been in use for decades. I expect I probably have a few pairs of HF stands. I do have a few sets that routinely fail to properly engage. Many times they drop before a load is on them. Being that my main use floor jack lifts over 34" the vehicles are way the hill up there when the load is transferred to the stands.
Most all the time when a stand fails to engage this is determined well before the load is fully placed on them. I have become used to putting a down pressure on the release lever and jiggle the top before placing a load on them. This reduces the chance of failing to engage.

So now this has me thinking I should go look at the stands and determine if any of these were sourced from Harbor Freight. If they were it would have been 25 to 30 years ago.
They have been collapsing a very long time.

My jack stands are over 40 years old and made in USA. I don't use them much anymore because I have a 7000 lb two post lift. Best thing for old men that don't want to crawl on the ground. With that many jack stands in circulation that is going to get expensive for HF.

Thanks Jim

After that happened, I got 4 sets of jack stands as gifts from different friends. I now double or triple up the jack stands
one day Glenn you can tie a stuck in the snowbank pix in with Tim bodyslam from a VW.

Tim; Come on up, we got your back here in Maine

jim

+O

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

My jack stands are over 40 years old and made in USA. I don't use them much anymore because I have a 7000 lb two post lift. Best thing for old men that don't want to crawl on the ground. With that many jack stands in circulation that is going to get expensive for HF.

I did the same thing. I spent my formative years crawling around on gravel under vehicles. Sometimes I'd find a piece of cardboard for comfort. Not anymore....

My old USA NAPA jack stands are holding up a sagging shelf right now.

No, softer and stiffer at the same time. I sit in a rolling chair under the car lift.

No, softer and stiffer at the same time. I sit in a rolling chair under the car lift.

:tup:

One would think by now I would have installed the lift I bought 22 years ago. Just have not gotten to cutting the trusses up and reworking the structure.

I have two sets of the HF 3K jack stands, and according to the recall #'s, they are not on the list. I use them for unloading my torsion axles and tires on my rarely used homebuilt mini excavator trailer when it's not in use.

If anyone trusts their life to ANY device, it's on them to make sure it's safe. What have the Chinese ever done to us?!

I do trust my own ramps, just drive right up on them, no need for jacks, 2" angle iron, all triangulated.

Back