• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Starter button or master switch lock ideas?

Penguin

FRIEND
KNFL
I love encouraging my little boy (3 1/2 years old now) to sit up front and move the stick around. We spend a lot of hours at the hangar cleaning, fixing and and learning. My SC has no key. Starter button on the panel, master switch up top on the right side. I play this horror story in my head where I am underneath bleeding the breaks and the monster figures out how to switch on the master and smashes the starter button trying to move around. Then daddy loses his legs. It's not too far fetched I don't think.

Has anyone thought through this? Any creative ideas on how to cover the starter button or lock the master? I don't want to install a key or move my mags.

When I rewired my 180, I did away with that key/mag switch. I put in two mag toggle switches and a simple on/off key that disabled the master and a push to start. I like simple.

Popping the breaker is a solid idea and im a little shocked to have not thought of that.

Be careful, if he was born with the trouble shooting gene he may figure it out! (don't let him see you do it!).

sj

I guess I come from the opposite direction. Although I think it's GREAT that you're encouraging him, and he likes being there, I personally feel it's important to teach him from "the word go" that it's NOT alright to be wiggling stuff and moving things when anyone else is working on something. I know two people with missing fingers from someone messing with things inside and bumping a starter, while they were working on an engine. I've been hit with a prop once, when I was a 2nd year A&P, working on an Ag Cat and the pilot was inside, grabbing something and bumped the starter. From then on, I insist that nobody be around those controls when I'm working. I also insist on the same in my shop for anyone working. It's just not worth it to me, and if it's instilled as a rule from day one, it might save some grief down the road? Like I said, just MY opinion and worth almost every bit you paid for it.
John

I had the same concern with my Airbike UL so I've got a Mad Max style switch hidden under the panel that's still accessible when belted in. It's hooked to a relay that disables everything. I did it to keep my kids and the looky loo's at fly-in's & $50 hamburger stops from hurting someone.

Yeah, copy all. I don't disagree and if I am cleaning or working, the mindset is obviously nobody in the airplane. The part of the formula you're missing is the lightning speed of a toddler, and their amazing ability to immediately find anything sharp, hot or sticky. It's damn impressive.

A zip tie around a breaker is a good 'lock out' system.

Agreed, if you are in an unsafe position, keeping finger poking out is a good idea. If like you say you are washing the rear windows and he is in the seat, pulling a breaker makes sense.

Working under fishing boats clearing gear out of the wheels and off the shafts was always a very scary deal. Stories of drunks coming back aboard while the guy on watch in on the back deck checking the diver, the drunk goes to the wheelhouse and fires up...

Locking out is a good practice.

Sorry. Yes the inst. light breaker has been the source of power for the start solenoid for several Cessna models. My brain was stuck on Cubs from the OP. When I rewire Cubs, I usually put it on the field breaker. If it pops, you can hand prop and flying on a battery only isn't usually a deal breaker.

Web

Once again. Simple key operated switch that disables the master. Easy to do.

I love encouraging my little boy (3 1/2 years old now) to sit up front and move the stick around. We spend a lot of hours at the hangar cleaning, fixing and and learning. My SC has no key. Starter button on the panel, master switch up top on the right side. I play this horror story in my head where I am underneath bleeding the breaks and the monster figures out how to switch on the master and smashes the starter button trying to move around. Then daddy loses his legs. It's not too far fetched I don't think.

Has anyone thought through this? Any creative ideas on how to cover the starter button or lock the master? I don't want to install a key or move my mags.

Back