• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Moving ailerons to flaps, and flaps to ailerons??

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Have a friend that is building an experimental Super Cub. The ailerons will be moved inboard and will become the flaps. The flaps will be moved outboard and will be used as the ailerons. Anyone else done this? What are the pros and cons on doing this?

ARM. you need the control at the end of the wing.

I would not consider flying a plane with ailerons inboard. Just consider the discussions of wing extensions without longer ailerons.

If you're serious, he'll make one circuit around the pattern and the wings will be coming off to get re-configured back to the proper arrangement. Roll control will SUCK.

I think what he means is the control surfaces will be swapped. Not that the inboard surfaces will be the ailerons?

I actually see no issue with what it appears he desires to do, the ailerons are a longer control surface and if they were converted to being the flaps, then the flaps would be more effective.
The flaps being shorter suitable to be used as ailerons.

If it were me doing this I would go one step further and move the ailerons further outwards and fill the space by extending the flaps even more as done when moving them in to fill the gap to the fuselage as well as outboard to reach out to the now shorter but further out board ailerons.

I want longer flaps but not at the expence of aileron effectiveness. Different aileron design like Aviat did with the later Husky or square the wing, move the ailerons out and make the flaps longer with extra length like Dakota Cub wings. Get Performance STOL flaps while you are at it.

Squaring the wing is where my mind was at when I mentioned further extending the flaps and moving the aileron out. Sky did this in his build, if I recall he has 10' flaps.

To keep the build simpler, and accomplish a similar effect, you sell the flaps all together. Put the ailerons all the way inboard to the fuselage, and utilize a shortened aileron all the way out to the squared tip as an aileron. It's longer than a stock flap that way, and keeps the cove / false spar, the same all the way through. In fact, I *think* there is an STC do do this? Cal Center?

Take care, Rob

Basically this is the STC from day and night. Uses pa-18 aileron for flap, moves existing aileron out and cuts 13” off it. For Pa-12

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I think what he means is the control surfaces will be swapped. Not that the inboard surfaces will be the ailerons?

Yes, this is what I meant. Ailerons will still be outboard and flaps inboards.

Back