Thread: Flap questoin on pa-18 150

Post Thanks / Like

Flap questoin on pa-18 150

My super cub 1st notch of flaps are 8 degrees and full flaps are 38 degrees. Does anyone now what degree thay should be? Have a buddy and his are 25 and 55. I have seen 22.5 and 50. But not sure if that is correct. Also are they hard to adjust?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I recall 50 degrees. Every time my friend’s Cub came back from CC they were really-adjusted to 35, with really slack cables.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    TCDS says 50 deg, +/- 2 deg.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes mike mcs repair, DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So I just happen to have the pice of metal that holds my flaps break two weeks ago. It only had two setting 1/2 and full flaps, when I got a new one they only asked if I wanted two or three setting. I am old and two is fine for me. I would follow the LEGAL AND APPROVED 152 degree and cut it into the flap bracket!!! Your will love the results!!
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    So I just happen to have the pice of metal that holds my flaps break two weeks ago. It only had two setting 1/2 and full flaps, when I got a new one they only asked if I wanted two or three setting. I am old and two is fine for me. I would follow the LEGAL AND APPROVED 152 degree and cut it into the flap bracket!!! Your will love the results!!
    DENNY
    Denny, Two or three setting would be a minor alteration in that the full setting would be the same. Unless you can find a procedure in the flight manual which specifically calls for a lesser setting, whatever else you use is the pilot's choice. It's likely that the third position which you were offered would be a lesser position than full. That position would most likely be primarily to make it easier to reach for the handle to "grab a fistful" of flaps. IF the third setting was for more than 50 degrees, then yes it should not be used without approval due to not having been "officially" flight tested and approved.
    N1PA
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I read someplace that the 18A had 3 notches from the factory. The 18A I owned had 3 notches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they are different part numbers. I always use the 3 notch on rebuilds. The last notch is at 50 degrees the same as the 2 notch. Makes it better for floats.
    PA-12 N418BS
    Thanks C130jake thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    PA-18A flap ratchet has 3 notches. The first is useful for extended slow flight at 60+ or low drag getting on step while flying floats.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Skywagon8a
    Ya full flaps are the same just the other notches are spaced different. We have multiple cubs around here that have 4 notches. I am used to two and it is easier to dump the flaps fast with only two so I stayed with it.
    Scott
    As far as adjusting flaps it is like most things not hard if you know what you are doing/have proper access panels/tools. I would check with your IA. If you do decide to cut the retaining bracket make sure everything else is correct first.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel special! I’ve got 4 positions. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full. I assume it’s 50*. All ever use is half and full and really haven’t seen a need for the others. I’ve used 1/4 a couple of times when maneuvering slow but doubt it helped.

Post Thanks / Like
    What’s the largest flap deflection in degrees (guesstimated) that anybody’s seen on an outlaw cub. 60-70*?

Post Thanks / Like
    One of mine had 55* as a guess. More the slower I flew. All drag was the intent.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    What’s the largest flap deflection in degrees (guesstimated) that anybody’s seen on an outlaw cub. 60-70*?
    Mine goes to 56*, 110" long. It was necessary to lengthen the lower arm on the flap handle to get the extra pull on the cable. Also the full length of the handle is needed to get the mechanical advantage.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    When Breeden's were winning Valdez in their orange Cub the flaps came well into the D window, I would guess 60-70. TK makes a replacment bellcrank for the wings to give you more without changing the flap handle position. Saw it displayed at the Lonestar STOL Contest.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks KevinJ thanked for this post
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ross d View Post
    I feel special! I’ve got 4 positions. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full. I assume it’s 50*. All ever use is half and full and really haven’t seen a need for the others. I’ve used 1/4 a couple of times when maneuvering slow but doubt it helped.
    Me too. I use them at different times, climbing in the mountains etc.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1902819_10152187143868644_6406368907556429369_n.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	48881
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, mine has 3 notches that are 20/35/50 degrees, however the last notch
    Is not the end of the travel, if you want to hold back all of it (no notch) it has 61 degrees. Works nice on short final if your a whisker hot. Also mine are not the standard 62" they are 67" .

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks Delta Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If curious try this. Tape some 6" yarn strands to the rear of the flaps. Fly at different airspeeds, observe the yarn behavior, and slowly pull flaps. At first they may flow back towards the tail and then with increasing flap deflection start to spin about as minor air flow disruption and separation on top of the flap begins. When they start to fold back towards the flap leading edge lift is reduced relative to the rate of drag increase. Choose lift without drag flap setting for maneuvering and takeoff. Of course full flaps (or extending landing gear) forces more air over the wing which enhances lift at the expense of drag.

Gary
    Thanks DENNY thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post