Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many Husky Drivers?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have gotten a kick out of all these Husky threads over the years. I guess it all depends on your mission. Speed is not in the top of my priority list. Yanking and banking down the Brazos river and getting in and out of some ass hole strips is along with a few trips to Utah and Idaho a year if I am lucky. I have quite a bit of time in an A1A Husky and have flown the B and C as well. Put Super Cub gear on a C and noticed that it slowed it down. I like the control harmony of the Super Cub and feel like I wear it. I think the Husky is a great airplane I just don't like the feel of it like I do the Cub. Just a dumb ass mechanics 2 cents.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes MainlandCub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have much experience with a Husky. With that in mind 30 years ago I installed a new set of floats on a new Husky, then gave the owner his 10 hours of dual for the insurance company. My impression was that is was similar to a PA-18 except at low speeds when the wing just didn't feel like it was up to the job as a PA-18 does. I do a lot of my flying analysis by feel. Numbers are good, but the seat of my pants tells me more. Also from a mechanic's perspective I hated working on it because there were too many screws holding it together. Heck there is a whole box of screws just holding the covers over the shock cords. Normally I could do a complete EDO 2000 new float installation in eight hours including assembling the floats. The Husky took sixteen hours.

Perhaps the newer wings fly better, I've been told they do.
    N1PA
    Likes RaisedByWolves, RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There are not many airplanes that I don't like. If I dig in to why, it is usually not general disdain, it is more something like "I don't like flying Cherokee's from the left seat because I have to drag myself across the passenger seat". In the case of the Huskys - which I probably have only around fifty or so hours in - it's that the seat doesn't move and my knees hit the instrument panel. Also for "that kind of flying" I prefer a lighter tail. But I agree with Pierce - every plane has a mission, some have a wide array of missions, some have a very narrow one (like a Fireboss for example).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airplanes.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	48805
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman, wldwzl01 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Steve made an important point or two. For years Iíve told folks who asked about Husky vs Cub that itís all about the mission.

If I were flying a relatively short distance to land on a shortish off airport Site, Iíd likely choose the Cub. If, on the other hand, I need to fly 150 miles, do three or four hours of low and slow, then return home without refueling, Iíd take the Husky. Actually, Iíd take the Husky on ANY flight that involved a relatively long cross country. The Husky does a good job in short, off airport sites as well, but it requires a bit more finesse to work as tight as the Cub.

But, on floats or skis, Iíd take the Husky, hands down, EVERY day. The Husky outperforms the Cub (and yes, there are exceptions....weíre talking generalities here) on those configurations most days in takeoff performance.

MTV
    Likes G44, eviens liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatís the new ones fly like with a trim tab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I just flew a new one yesterday with the new trim tab and the IO -390 engine. Trim takes some getting used to as just no stick forces with no spring tension any more. One would get used to it but different after all the years with the spring. The 215HP engine makes it really go fast if you want, but it is nose heavy and it weighed 1447lbs, my other Husky's with 0-360 weigh 1300lb, so big difference to me. I like them light. Nice smooth engine with lots of power but for me I think a light one will outperform it for short stuff.
    John
    Thanks Steve Pierce, G44, wldwzl01, High Country thanked for this post
    Likes RVBottomly, eviens liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    You might need a thread that hides your identity

Glenn
    I never understood why some super cub guys dislike Huskys so much, I guess they feel threatened 😉
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Whatís the new ones fly like with a trim tab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Feels more like a cub.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    I never understood why some super cub guys dislike Huskys so much, I guess they feel threatened 
    Ford Chevy thing probably....

I like em both.
    Kurt
    Likes Farmboy, mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any skin in the game but I will say this. I'm glad there are those terrible inferior designs like Husky's and Maule's. They're made here in America by skilled hands with vendor parts also made here with skilled hands. Isn't it great we have choices?
    Likes BrianP, G44, Farmboy, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    I don't have any skin in the game but I will say this. I'm glad there are those terrible inferior designs like Husky's and Maule's. They're made here in America by skilled hands with vendor parts also made here with skilled hands. Isn't it great we have choices?
    Ain't it the truth? Frankly, I'm amazed there are still so many people involved in aircraft and component manufacture.....and thankful.

MTV
    Thanks brown bear thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wldwzl01 View Post
    So it's been a while since anyone has posted Husky information. How many folks do we have here on SuperCub.org that are Husky drivers?
    Well, this is a CUB Forum. Says so right in the title.
    However, since you asked, I drive a HUSKY and I really like the aircraft..
    As stated by several others, the mission is of great importance.
    Both are such fun.
    Jim
    Likes wldwzl01 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoying this thread.

I’ve flown a hundred + different types of airplanes, but I’ve never flown a Husky. Nothing I’ve flown handles as well as a Cub for low and slow, and can carry the load.

When I bought my Cub, I had too many Cub guys tell me they wouldn’t want a Husky. Difficult $$ to change from gear to floats and back, poor handling at Cub slow speeds, not as good in tight spaces, heavier to manipulate when by yourself and digging out, fixed stab with a spring versus trim stab.

I’m being told that newer ones handle better at slower speeds than before, and my mission is changing to longer distances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    Enjoying this thread.

I’ve flown a hundred + different types of airplanes, but I’ve never flown a Husky. Nothing I’ve flown handles as well as a Cub for low and slow, and can carry the load.

When I bought my Cub, I had too many Cub guys tell me they wouldn’t want a Husky. Difficult $$ to change from gear to floats and back, poor handling at Cub slow speeds, not as good in tight spaces, heavier to manipulate when by yourself and digging out, fixed stab with a spring versus trim stab.

I’m being told that newer ones handle better at slower speeds than before, and my mission is changing to longer distances.
    First question you should be asking when someone tells you about the Husky is: "How much Husky time do YOU have?" Then, fly one for yourself and make up your own mind. Airfoil is same as a Cub. Like most aircraft, it's an acquired taste. For it's mission, it works fine.
    "Poor handling at Cub slow speeds" ?? That's funny. I did Dall sheep surveys in a Husky for nearly 15 seasons, and much preferred the Husky to a Cub in that environment. Nothing wrong with either airplane, but there is a LOT of knocking of Huskys out there, often by folks who've never flown one, but they HEARD that.....

MTV
    Last edited by mvivion; 05-16-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    Likes Flyingde, RaisedByWolves, Amy, WWhunter, G44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One has to fly a Husky differently than a cub. I have both and like them both. Cub can fly a bit slower and land slightly shorter. But Husky is faster and more solid feel to me. Constant speed prop gives great options for smooth flight without the high rpms of trying to go faster in cub. More efficient for low power and fuel savings and still go faster than cub.

Landing a Husky short requires nose up attitude as the flaps are all lift in Husky, if one aims at landing spot and going too fast it just floats on past. Unlike cub where one can point at the spot and hit it without floating past unless going really fast. Fly the Husky like a Helio Courier, nose up and slow, then just plop it down short, over quick. Full flaps on takeoff, do not raise the tail, stick back pressure and it just levitates. Totally different techniques from cub.
    Husky to me has better feel for long distances, never get too tired on long flights, cub just vibrates too much after a bit, and is slow!
    The new Husky trim tab makes the feel similar to cub, light on controls, they eliminated the big spring that requires trimming all the time, but once used to it no big deal to me. New trim actually feels odd with no resistance.
    My thoughts.
    John
    Thanks mvivion, Taledrger thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, Taledrger, eviens, Firepilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoying this thread.

I agree with their critiques and have flown them both. The predator control and border patrol guys told me the same thing.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been on and off of this board for over 20 years. Most civil Husky conversation I have seen in a long time. You guys are getting old..... lol...

I always chuckle at the Husky/Cub arguments but the Cessna 180 is welcomed with open arms....

I would wager that the VAST majority of both types are flown in and out of places that you could land a Bonanza. The folks who are really using these things offroad are I am willing to bet a very small minority. At least here in the lower 48. I know I am one of the former.

But those 29's look sooooooo good on there.... lol
    Likes Steve Pierce, FdxLou, Fat Kid, Taledrger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    I never understood why some super cub guys dislike Huskys so much, I guess they feel threatened 
    Oh that's just NY Glenn, don't misunderstand him. Put him in any airplane with a tank of gas and he will love every minute of it, even a Husky!

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!
    Likes Coulee Clipper, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A famous Galland quote comes from a visit by Goering when the Luftwaffe commander asked Galland if there was anything he needed: "A squadron of Spitfires."

Post Thanks / Like
    When landing in the high country I prefer the Husky. Seems to get out and climb a lot better. However a 180 cub with a MT would be good also.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150911_113811.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	48814
    Likes G44, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john schwamm View Post
    One has to fly a Husky differently than a cub. I have both and like them both. Cub can fly a bit slower and land slightly shorter. But Husky is faster and more solid feel to me. Constant speed prop gives great options for smooth flight without the high rpms of trying to go faster in cub. More efficient for low power and fuel savings and still go faster than cub.

Landing a Husky short requires nose up attitude as the flaps are all lift in Husky, if one aims at landing spot and going too fast it just floats on past. Unlike cub where one can point at the spot and hit it without floating past unless going really fast. Fly the Husky like a Helio Courier, nose up and slow, then just plop it down short, over quick. Full flaps on takeoff, do not raise the tail, stick back pressure and it just levitates. Totally different techniques from cub.
    Husky to me has better feel for long distances, never get too tired on long flights, cub just vibrates too much after a bit, and is slow!
    The new Husky trim tab makes the feel similar to cub, light on controls, they eliminated the big spring that requires trimming all the time, but once used to it no big deal to me. New trim actually feels odd with no resistance.
    My thoughts.
    John
    Having owned a Super Cub and Husky I echo what John said. I love them both but I own a Husky right now, fits my mission better.

Kurt
    Last edited by G44; 05-16-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flyingde post is funny, today I had to choose between my husky on straight floats vs my A36 Bonanza for a 180 nautical flight. Because of weather I chose the Bonanza. Had it been a super cub not a husky hands down it would have been the Bonanza.

Post Thanks / Like
    I previously owned a 180 hp super cub. I now own a new wing Husky. Without much detailed explanation, here are the areas where I find significant differences between the two airplanes and which plane is better in this area *in my opinion.

Baggage area. + Super cub.
    Landing gear. + Super cub.
    Elevator control. + Super cub.
    Aftermarket mods. + Super cub.
    Parts availability. + Super cub.
    Flap hinge head knockers. + Super cub.
    Stall speed. + Super cub.

Climb. + Husky
    Speed. + Husky
    Range. + Husky
    Aileron control. + Husky
    Passenger comfort. + Husky
    Overall comfort. + Husky
    Strength and simplicity of horizontal stabilizer. + Husky
    Likes Steve Pierce, eviens liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash worthiness + Husky

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    Crash worthiness + Husky
    Oh, yep. Absolutely. ++ Husky

Post Thanks / Like
    I love dealing with Aviat on parts, availability and price are second to none.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Bill.Brine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that is pretty funny...

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots more Husky folks on here than I imagined! Not my intent to start a Husky vs Cub free for all and am glad to see we're civil! Similar aircraft for somewhat different missions. I enjoy both, and have modded my Husky to where it is pretty comparable. But I'm light (the airplane!) and have Cub gear! However, I need to stop putting divots on my forehead. 362sm trip to Flat AK in 3.2hrs this weekend would have been 4.5hrs in the Cub.
    Likes eviens liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As another Husky owner on SuperCub.org I definitely enjoy this thread. Huskys are great aircraft, and we know nothing beats a light SuperCub when it comes to landing. Otherwise I always have fun flying with my Cub friends. A main reason why the Husky has a bad reputation is Aviat, and Steve is head on: Dealing with the company and waiting for expensive parts can be frustrating. Parts are often twice or more the price of almost identical Piper parts. There are no multiple vendors.

In Alaska it can be a challenge to find a mechanic who wants to work on a Husky. Besides parts, mechanics used to Piper products do not like to work on the spring loaded trim system, the narrow engine compartment, or all the panel screws.

A friend who had his Husky repaired at Aviat in Afton told me recently: 'Now I understand why 90% of Husky owners are at least 55 years old, have a thick wallet, and fly less than 30 hours per year'.
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t figure out why My Husky flys as poorly as my A36 Bonanza and those of you that have flown a Beechcraft know how poorly they fly!! Just kidding

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    As another Husky owner on SuperCub.org I definitely enjoy this thread. Huskys are great aircraft, and we know nothing beats a light SuperCub when it comes to landing. Otherwise I always have fun flying with my Cub friends. A main reason why the Husky has a bad reputation is Aviat, and Steve is head on: Dealing with the company and waiting for expensive parts can be frustrating. Parts are often twice or more the price of almost identical Piper parts. There are no multiple vendors.

In Alaska it can be a challenge to find a mechanic who wants to work on a Husky. Besides parts, mechanics used to Piper products do not like to work on the spring loaded trim system, the narrow engine compartment, or all the panel screws.

A friend who had his Husky repaired at Aviat in Afton told me recently: 'Now I understand why 90% of Husky owners are at least 55 years old, have a thick wallet, and fly less than 30 hours per year'.
    I don't understand mechanics not wanting to work on a Husky. They are usually in way better condition than a lot of old Super Cubs and haven't been rebuilt by who knows who who did who knows what. They are pretty straight forward and all those screws give you access to lots of things. A good screw gun is your friend. 180 HP engine e on a Husky is easier to work on than most Cub engines. The 200 hp is a pita as it is pretty compact in there.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It does help if you don't break the things, thus requiring parts....

As to all those machine screws, a mechanic works by the hour....then again, owner participation helps.

And, yes, Piper parts (actually pma'd parts that have nothing to do with Piper) are commonly available. Try ordering some parts from Cub Crafters for a CC-18-180. Or from Cessna for a 180.

There's something about aircraft manufacturers and parts....

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

Whitewings Aircraft services at Lake Hood rebuilt both my Husky's, bought them as projects and we made them nice and lightweight. Any IA who says Husky is hard to work on is not who you want to use. Other than some screws to take off metal panels rather than uncover fabric for access is not hard at all, gives one access to most all areas needed. Very basic airplanes.
    Built better than a cub, and if your IA cannot figure it out from a cub, get a new mechanic!
    John
    Thanks G44, RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes G44, FdxLou, Flyingde, eviens liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Whitewings Aircraft services at Lake Hood rebuilt both my Husky's, bought them as projects and we made them nice and lightweight. Any IA who says Husky is hard to work on is not who you want to use. Other than some screws to take off metal panels rather than uncover fabric for access is not hard at all, gives one access to most all areas needed. Very basic airplanes.
    Built better than a cub, and if your IA cannot figure it out from a cub, get a new mechanic!
    John
    I helped the shop put my amphibs on my cub yesterday. I will be billed about 2 - 3 hours labor and 0 parts. I hear that a husky is a near full day project and a new set of bungees $?

Post Thanks / Like
    Floats on Husky on mine are the same as cub, I have cub gear/AOSS on my husky, no bungees. But even if bungees not a big deal, all else pretty much the same. Good idea to change bungees anyway if one has them rather than cub gear.
    John
    Likes eviens liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Floats on Husky on mine are the same as cub, I have cub gear/AOSS on my husky, no bungees. But even if bungees not a big deal, all else pretty much the same. Good idea to change bungees anyway if one has them rather than cub gear.
    John
    I understand that this is a bit of major surgery to change a Husky to aoss? Are there two different mods? IE One that changes Husky to Cub gear, and another that just eliminates bungees?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only the Burl's Aircraft STC for the cub gear mod on Husky, does require some welding to beef things up. No other mod I know to eliminate bungees.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I helped the shop put my amphibs on my cub yesterday. I will be billed about 2 - 3 hours labor and 0 parts. I hear that a husky is a near full day project and a new set of bungees $?
    Two to three hours to install amphibs sounds pretty light, even on a second or third install.....but,

I ran Huskys that went from wheels to floats and back seasonally. Change never took over 3 hours or so. These were straight floats.

Yes, bungees are a bit of a pain, but as John says, the new bungee material won't hold up for 20 years like the old gear bungees used to do. So, it's not a bad idea to have new bungees every year in any case, and they're not obscenely expensive.

The new Huskys have a different gear, with shock struts internally in place of the bungees. Never saw one apart, so not sure how that works, but I'm betting it'll make gear changes a piece of cake.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve heard that a Husky uses 6 bungees, as opposed to a Cub using 4 bungees $? ? ?
    Would that really be a reason to choose a Cub over Husky?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfin View Post
    Iíve heard that a Husky uses 6 bungees, as opposed to a Cub using 4 bungees $? ? ?
    Would that really be a reason to choose a Cub over Husky?
    Costs over time. Iíll replace my Cub bungees roughly once every 5yrs - 6 yrs. Iíve been considering a Husky, and have been informed about 300$ extra every float to wheel change (I assume that is parts and labor as I am on year four now and I havenít had to do it yet on my cub.).
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post