• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Old Aeronca Photos from Russ David Beckner

35.jpg

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Well done preserving this old stuff,way too much is being lost. C-3 pics bring back memories,flew as good as it looks.

Thanks for the photos. I hope the Aeronca Fly In goes as planned in June. I haven't seen anything on it yet. Maybe I better use my google button.

Yeah not sure why some of the thumbnails don't work. But if you click on them they should open up full size.

A piece of Aeronca Trivia.
When the engineers were given the go ahead to design the four place Sedan, they were instructed to make it to use the same door as the Champ. It seems that Aeronca had a large number of doors for the 7AC in their inventory which needed a home.
One of those engineers told me this. He was one of the two who developed the Twin Bee.

Even though I'm a PA-11 guy, Thank you very much, Farmboy! I really enjoyed enjoyed this. Had never heard of the Model 9.

Looking at Pete's fourth post, the image of the C2 on floats brings up a memory my father related from his early years. His first flight lesson was in a C2 on floats on Stamford Ct harbor. Apparently was a good first lesson. He soon got together with the instructor, this second day was much warmer. They went out on the harbor and "fast taxied" around on full throttle. The instructor decided it was time to go back to the landing, he got out with the engine still running and turned to my dad. You did fine yesterday, just to hot for the plane to lift this much weight so go on out a fly for awhile.
So my dad soloed with just an hour or so in the book.

"That’s Ed Burns, the designer. The prototype was built in 9 days - Concept to Flight. The nose of prototype was bolted on at the engine mount points. The production models were a little different. Based on a TA fuselage.

Thanks, Farmboy.

A few more photos… Looks like Ed Burns in photo #9 and John Friedlander on the left in photo #6

HT

Attachments

• 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Friedlander.jpeg
    Friedlander.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 161
.... It seems that Aeronca had a large number of doors for the 7AC in their inventory which needed a home.....

Same thing when Cessna developed the 170.
The 1948 (ragwing) 170 uses a fair number of C120/140 parts--
including fuel tanks & ailerons.

Flew a PA-11 with an O-235 on it once. The engine really ruined the flying characteristics of the airplane. It was actually an ex Netherlands Air Force L-18B that the Europeans had converted for glider towing. When I flew it, it was back in the States and the owner converted the airplane to a C-90. That made a much better airplane out of it.

Bill Fairchild of Pt Angeles WA was one of the pioneers of glacier operations in the 1950's.
He had a 140hp Champ on retractable wheel skis which he used to fly supplies up to USGS survey parties on Blue Glacier in the Olympics.
The airport in PA is named for him.
They used to have a pretty good display about his exploits in the commercial terminal,
dunno if it's still there or not.

Wonderful history......makes me want to own one someday. There's a few still up here but not many fly regularly.

Gary

IMG_9692.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Attachments

• IMG_9692.JPG
    IMG_9692.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 200
The generator mounted up top is not a common site these days, not that external generators are common.

IMG_9771.JPG

IMG_9758.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9771.JPG
    IMG_9771.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_9758.JPG
    IMG_9758.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 215
What kind of airplane in that bottom pic?
Doesn't look like an Aeronca I've ever seen.
I'd guess Ryan SC-W, but why would that be in an Aeronca promo shot?

Aeronca L depending on which radial was used LA and LB was LeBlond LC was Warner LD Lambert

That shot makes you want to own one doesn’t it Hotrod!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Long ago I saw one of those in a Quonset shed in Derry NH, dismantled. Really wanted to get it, but the times weren't right. He wouldn't sell and I didn't have the spare funds. :sad: The owner is now long gone west. There was a Waco RNF there as well.

Google aeronca L model, lots of good images.
IMG_9803.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9803.JPG
    IMG_9803.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 185
Funny about that. I've always been a Piper guy, J-3, J-5, PA'12s,18, 20, 25 with every engine through 180/260. Had a couple of Scouts and had mixed feelings. Then 2 weeks ago, I got a 65 Champ all rebuilt with a 65 and wood prop. I wondered if it would even get off the ground with 2 people. Turns out that it flies like a dream, and after looking it over, I'm really favorably impressed with the construction. Just seems like it has a lot of really good points. I will eventually get another PA-18, but for the moment and for the purpose, I'm very content.
IMG_5387.jpegIMG_5388.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5387.jpeg
    IMG_5387.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 166
Back