• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Grilling Choices: What Do You Prefer?

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I have been a Weber grill user for many, many moons but we are ready to move on to another product.

I know many who love the Green Egg and I edged closer to it when I began using the Green Egg charcoal...I love how it burns, without so much ash. I am not excited by the price, however, and those things are pretty darned heavy...so they will likely stay put in one place...not portable, really.

Steve Eaton swears by his Hasty Bake pellet smoker grill, but I have read good things about Traeger (apparently it was the first company to patent this approach) and Camp Chef.

I typically grill/smoke all year round, steaks/hamburgers/chicken/smoke a turkey or ham a few times per year. Usually we are grilling for two, but occasionally for several people.

I would appreciate any thoughts you folks would share about your experience with these things. They are a significant investment, and I don't want to screw this up!

Thanks!

I figure this question belongs on Supercub.org as we are nearing completion of our hangar and patio/fire pit and we hope to have many of you visit us and give us an excuse to grill for you!

Randy

Doc!? Why change? You had the correctly named grill all along.

Old school and charcoal hands down!

Web(er)

I am with Web. You can get the heat you need to get a good sear, which is really important for great flavor on burgers and steaks. You need enough heat to get the Maillard reaction, which gives that great flavor on meats.
Tregars and Green Eggs are great for smoking anf slow cooking, but a steak or burger needs the heat from charcoal.

I have a smker and a and a charcoal grill on my deck. Both have a different purpose.

Now, for a great steak, try aging a whole prime rib or NY strip for 42 days. That is a good steak!

Good grilling is about the science, not the equipment.

Last edited:
I’ve been using Weber, both charcoal and propane for 50 years. Others are good. Weber is best.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

A buddy had a massive, expensive "stainless" infra red etc. grill on his deck that got klonged by a tree during a storm. The insurance company paid for a Brand New One. I loaded up the damaged one and hauled it off to the workshop. I figured it would come in handy with all the entertaining of the masses at the lake. And I was right. All I had to do was bang the big dent out of the cover and she was good to go. A couple of knobs blew off on the way up I-95, but hey, it was free.

For two summers it performed flawlessly, handling lots of guests with ease and efficiency. You could put tons of food on it. However, last spring when I opened up the camp I took off the cover and opened it up and it was absolutely shot. So, I hauled the monster off the deck--and got run over when it slipped down the stairs while I was removing it (you know the deal--there's only one person who opens and closes the camp). I secured it to a dolly and loaded the massive beast on the front of the pontoon boat to haul to the mainland to struggle it to the dump.

Then darndest thing occurred--when I was crossing the deepest part of the lake the damn thing suddenly slipped off the front and disappeared between the waves. Kind of like an aircraft carrier becoming a coral reef. Never saw it again. Saluted, took a sip of my beer, and headed back to camp.

I think it was a Char Broil. Don't buy one. I have a Thermos. My Dad bought it for me. In 1999.

I’ve been using Pellet Grills for five years. Traeger and Pit Boss both work well. Used charcoal for decades would never go back. Great flavor and heat control with pellets. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Like most have confirmed, gas for veggies or dogs, anything else it's just not the same. I went back to the Weber for the steaks and good stuff. One big plus in my book is the Weber is so easy to clean up compared to cooking meat on a big-ol gas grill, that mess in the bottom develops into a huge flare up before long. With the Weber everything just drips down and burns up, hurrah!
One thing I did with my big Char-broil is turn it into a smoker. I use a metal cake pan of smoking chips sitting just above a low propane burn on one rail. I re-positioned the flame diverter to lower the pan for this. Makes great jerky and a good reason for me to sit on the patio with a beer keeping an eye on things :).

I prefer anything grilled by someone else!!:p Jane got a Traeger 1 1/2 years ago and loves it. Old grill is on its last legs and she said she only wants a small one, anyone that knows my wife will tell you she is not into small/cheap/simple. So for her to not want the new big grill with side burner means she is very happy with the Traeger.
DENNY

GREEN EGG 80Deg to 650Deg. With charcoal— 6D958CD2-7EB1-4A16-B21C-D6419B688860.jpg
More than hot enough to sear 1 minute per side shut off air and finish at 300. Good mallard

Attachments

• 6D958CD2-7EB1-4A16-B21C-D6419B688860.jpg
    6D958CD2-7EB1-4A16-B21C-D6419B688860.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 163
Then darndest thing occurred--when I was crossing the deepest part of the lake the damn thing suddenly slipped off the front and disappeared between the waves. Kind of like an aircraft carrier becoming a coral reef. Never saw it again. Saluted, took a sip of my beer, and headed back to camp

Fish over the new reef

Gary

I've used a nice gas grill for years, still do, but, family got me the small Traeger a few Christmas' ago. I prefer it for most meats now. I just finished a couple New York's on it this evening. Good flavor, no flame ups like a grill. Baby Backs last weekend, the Thanksgiving Turkey, all of it. That being said, there are several other brands that look virtually the same, same science, but cost less. Mine doesn't pair to my phone like the current ones, but I think that's okay :)

I like my Webers just fine. Small one for one or two people, larger one with rotisserie, and the tall smoker style. I learned a new trick about a year ago - sous vide, then to the grill for searing and flavor. The tenderest, most flavorful, perfect done-ness steaks yet. They compete very favorably with the highest-dollar steakhouse in Seattle!

If you're considering a ceramic grill like the Big Green Egg, take a look at the Primo Oval XL. Made in the USA and more versatile than the Egg in my opinion. As you noted, they are heavy and expensive. But I've never had a bad meal come off of the Primo. That said, I've had some pretty darn good meals from friends' pellet cookers as well. Can't argue with the results using pellets, but there's something about hardwood lump charcoal that seems right to me. Nothing wrong with a Weber kettle either. My Primo will probably last a few lifetimes, so I'm sticking with what I've got.

Because we are lazy, we have a gas grill hooked up to natural gas at the house so we don't have to drag tanks around. It's a small weber (the big propane weber never gets used anymore) and works really great.

For Mother's day today, I will be reverse searing the 140z ribeyes. If you have not tried reverse sear, you should. Takes longer but a perfect steak every time. Lots of youtubes out there.

To get more of the "smoky grill" flavor, I use a smoke box designed to fit in a weber. It holds the chips and does a great job infusing whatever wood flavor you like. Be careful to remove it partway through if you don't want your steaks super smoky.

The smoke box I use look like this. You can get them at a hardware store, or make one out of aluminum foil. Make sure you soak your chips first:

unnamed.jpg

My childhood memory of charcoal was the flavor of lighter fluid, which I never cared for. If I do charcoal, I use a chimney with no fluid to avoid that taste. However, it has been a few years since I used charcoal!

sj

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 155
those little smoke boxes work good, mines probably 2inches x 8 inches x 6 inches, steak is probably done in 15 minutes or so, so you have to figure that chip box out for time and amount, i put the chip box in when the grille is warming up and get a little smoke coming out of it and take it out after about 5 minutes when the steak is on, theres a little timing there to figure out to what you like.

those little smoke boxes work good, mines probably 2inches x 8 inches x 6 inches, steak is probably done in 15 minutes or so, so you have to figure that chip box out for time and amount, i put the chip box in when the grille is warming up and get a little smoke coming out of it and take it out after about 5 minutes when the steak is on, theres a little timing there to figure out to what you like.

Today I am going to try just putting a small amount of chips in there, and letting them turn to charcoal instead of removing them. If you tried this and it didn't work, stop me before I screw up Mother's day dinner! :p

sj

We have used the Weber for 40+ years and it has performed well for all of them. Only on our second one in all of that time. A few years ago, I purchased a Green Egg and have been using it, and the Weber for more versatility.
Our Thanksgiving turkeys on the BGE have always turned out well as have a variety of other meals from pizza, to veggies, ribs, prime rib, steaks, burgers and brats.

Our son is a pro chef and uses a Weber smoker, BGE and Weber kettle.

With lump and chips, we have noticed a better, deeper smoke ring than achieved with the pellet or gas grills. We can also crank the temps up in the BGE to 700 deg if needed for a quick pizza or as low as 225 for a loooonng sloooooow smoke that lasts for hours and hours. Much more difficult to do on the Webers, but relatively easy on the pellet grills.

20171123_113248[1].jpg 20171123_150240[1].jpg 20171227_154851[1].jpg 20181020_180425[1].jpg 20180115_172257[1].jpg IMAG0108[1].jpg

We don't eat much red meat anymore, but, when we do, it has got to be good.

If you decide to get a BGE, Poolside in Vadnais Heights usually has demo units that you can get for cost and accessories get thrown in. They don't discount the BGE, but do the accessories.

Wayne

Attachments

• 20171123_113248[1].jpg
    20171123_113248[1].jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 20171123_150240[1].jpg
    20171123_150240[1].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 161
  • 20171227_154851[1].jpg
    20171227_154851[1].jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20181020_180425[1].jpg
    20181020_180425[1].jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 20180115_172257[1].jpg
    20180115_172257[1].jpg
    58 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0108[1].jpg
    IMAG0108[1].jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 144
If you decide on the Big Green Egg, watch Craigslist in your area. I found one in great condition for about half of retail. If you like brisket, it can't be beat.

Reverse sear in process for today.. these are about to come off for their 5 minute rest before the searing
rs1.png

I'm a firm believer that cooking is a science - at least it comes out better when I treat it that way. I really like these iGrill temp monitors you monitor with your phone. I monitor the meat temp and the grill temp.
rs2.png

It was a beautiful but chilly and windy day to grill!
rs3.png

Attachments

• rs1.png
    rs1.png
    957.7 KB · Views: 171
  • rs2.png
    rs2.png
    565.7 KB · Views: 159
  • rs3.png
    rs3.png
    894.7 KB · Views: 157
I’ll second the Rec Tec. It’s stainless and no middle man. Buy it factory direct.

I find that almost all grills are bought by men. And they buy them like they would buy a cowboy hat, the bigger the better. I was in the same boat for many years. But every time we were visiting my mom she would grill on a little stainless steel suitcase size grill. Took me a lot of years to realize some of the best grilled food I got every year was from that little grill. It was 20 years old and out lasted her. Grills don't make good cooks. I stopped buying the big boys model years ago a got a little guy. I think my brother is still using mom's.

e396e5a9-bf28-4a6f-a35c-baecffa11ddc._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754837S...g=everydaygrillman-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Glenn

Attachments

• e396e5a9-bf28-4a6f-a35c-baecffa11ddc._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg
    e396e5a9-bf28-4a6f-a35c-baecffa11ddc._CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300__.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
I find that almost all grills are bought by men. And they buy them like they would buy a cowboy hat, the bigger the better. I was in the same boat for many years. But every time we were visiting my mom she would grill on a little stainless steel suitcase size grill. Took me a lot of years to realize some of the best grilled food I got every year was from that little grill. It was 20 years old and out lasted her. Grills don't make good cooks. I stopped buying the big boys model years ago a got a little guy. I think my brother is still using mom's.

View attachment 48724

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754837S...g=everydaygrillman-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Glenn

glenn, one of my steaks would be hanging over both sides of that.

Johnson, it's all art, I'll put my wood fired pig spinner up against your igrill anyday.

HA! You have to get Mark Rusche to watch it and pour cheap wine on it all day... and Old Style of course... :)

sj

Back