• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Grilling Choices: What Do You Prefer?

Oh heck, now we're gettin' in it: Remember several years ago when the Visconsin boys saved the pig roast at Johnson Crick, with many wraps of .041 Stainless safety wire around the pig. And let's not even TALK about the animation of the Six-burner Weber imported into JC on the Cessana One Hundred and Eighty-Five :roll:

Thanks. cubscout

I have three of the darn pellet smokers two Traeger and one Camp Chef ( one for the house, 5th wheel and Cabin) My son says the best in his opinion is the Rectec. He buys the pellets by the pallet 2000lbs and pays about $10.00 a 40lb bag. There is about 8 of us that use the pellets takes a little over a year to go thru them.

whatever you do you want to be able to reverse sear. I can do that with the sear box on the camp chef

I used to get wrapped up in the axle with grills. I used a stick burner for big cooks and have friends with pellet grills so I have time around them. Since its down to the wife and me I go with the 109 dollar Weber charcoal 22". All those trendy accessories like slow and sear and vortex etc I look at the pictures on the web and youtubes and fabricate them myself. Most everything I cook is offset heat. If your food tastes good then the grill was only a small part of it. We have a nice deck but for some reason we eat most of our summer meals in my shop at a small table. I find the ambiance of airplane parts and shop equipment soothing. My wife doesn't mind, she calls it my redneck outdoor kitchen.

This ^^^. My vintage Weber 22" has served us for 40 years from +80's to -40's. Yes we grill on New Years eve outdoors in Alaska. It's a desirable pre-ash shaker unit and not for sale.

Gary

if you want to smoke stuff get an Oklahoma Joe’s smoker. Works for me.

I've got 2 and really like them. (got them on Walmart Winter closeouts for about $100 apiece).
always used Gas grills, but my new go to at work is the cast iron Marsh Allen hibachi.
https://www.bbqguys.com/kay-home-products/cast-iron-hibachi-tabletop-charcoal-bbq-grill

I can cook a burger with 5 briquets in about the same time as it takes in a gas grill and tastes much better.
( I start the coals with a propane torch)
I stuck mine in my burnt out propane grill to keep the smoke in and the rain out.

I've got 2 and really like them. (got them on Walmart Winter closeouts for about $100 apiece).
always used Gas grills, but my new go to at work is the cast iron Marsh Allen hibachi.
https://www.bbqguys.com/kay-home-products/cast-iron-hibachi-tabletop-charcoal-bbq-grill

I can cook a burger with 5 briquets in about the same time as it takes in a gas grill and tastes much better.
( I start the coals with a propane torch)
I stuck mine in my burnt out propane grill to keep the smoke in and the rain out.

At the peak of my sail boat racing days, I had a cast iron hibachi mounted on my boat trailer. Used to cook breakfast and dinner in it.

Attachments

• FElt21230c.JPG
    FElt21230c.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 447
We have used a lot of Montreal steak over the years, now I prefer fresh crushed black pepper crust with some coarse salt, but the Montreal still comes out when I am lazy. It's got a great flavor and is good on chicken too.

sj

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Great suggestions.

I am a Montreal steak fan, and we love Montreal Smokehouse Maple on salmon.

I found out that some of the grills in question are made in China, and that influences my decision a bit.

Thanks!

Randy

We bought a Camp Chef, quite simply, because it was on sale at Tractor Supply and put it at Carolyn's house. I had been a Traeger bigot before that with many of you eating off that grill during the Breaks Flyin. My son too is a Traeger bigot, but he has had to replace every part of his, sometimes repeatedly. He is now envious of the Camp Chef.... it will go over 500 degrees if you leave the lid shut, the electronics have been foolproof, and the pairing of the electronic thermometer with the instrument has been perfect for "set it , and forget it". I want one myself now. Compared to others, it is cheaper....probably is made in China, Randy. R

Well....

- During my sojourn in Texas, got totally biased in favor of indirect stick-burner smokers in particular and burning charcoal or wood in general
- Have had in the past a wide variety of grills and smokers; never got quite enough interest to compete with my buddy's $50,000 competition rig, but if I had the right magic wand..... on a trailer, gas starter, water tight storage bins for charcoal and sticks, very heavy (i'm thinking 5/16") smoke chamber and grill, etc.
- Current smoker fleet is made up of a "Jumbo" or whatever it's called Weber Water Smoker, a Weber Genesis (yep, original, not II) Gas Grill, and a Weber 22" basic grill.
- Previously had a Lyfe-Tyme indirect .....should never have given that one up, but it was a big chunk of iron to move from Ewe-stun to Los Anchorage
- Have heard great things about the BGE but can't bring myself to spend the money that they want for a BGE up here in Los Anchorage.
- Were I in the market and presumably not considering a $X,XXX or $XX,XXX semi-custom smoker from Pitts & Spits or Lyfe-Time or ???, I'd look seriously at: BGE (it's unique), Traeger (pellet grill, with the pro's and con's of that sector), or Oklahoma Joes for an indirect smoker. I think there are comparable gas grills to Weber, but Weber (IMO) is just a notch, small, but nevertheless a notch above others...and for indirect smokers, Oklahoma Joes is the only one that I'm familiar with that has heavy enough plate and (relatively) tight enough construction in the mass-produced segment to give a good smoke.
- Also IMO, if one is going to go with a stick-or charcoal smoker (leaving aside the BGE), Charbroil, Pit Boss, or similar variants are just too light of material for doing a good smoke..which is all about trapping and holding heat and moisture.
- As others have said, it's more about the user and effort applied and less about the equipment....
- Very much FWIW, but since I'm tasked to smoke 30-40#'s of brisket at least twice a year and 3-4 turkeys at each of Thanksgiving and Christmas up here in Los Anchorage, I have put together a modular smokehouse (2x4's, plywood, rigid foam insulation, canvas opening) that I put in place about 1-November: something's needed when more often than not, the turkey smoking occurs in below zero weather and/or when the winds want to keep the smoker cool...the brisket's are usually a 8-10 hour event and the turkey's are typically 4-6 hours. Something is needed if that falls in November - February.

I watched and helped Joe Want (local Fairbanks big game guide) cook a pig in a pit....different topic but there's me on the Weber and Joe in the hole....no comparison. Beers were involved and it took all night.

Gary

... my new go to at work is the cast iron Marsh Allen hibachi.

I had a little Hibachi about 35 years ago,
don't recall whatever happened to it.
It was perfect for grilling for just a couple people.
Haven't seen one in years, I tried googling one up not long ago but no luck.
So thanks for the link.

I was waiting for someone to say, "I can cook one with 3 briquettes"...

sj

I can cook one with zero briquettes.

Hank-hill-sells-propane-and-propane-accsesories.jpg

Attachments

• Hank-hill-sells-propane-and-propane-accsesories.jpg
    Hank-hill-sells-propane-and-propane-accsesories.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 284
Back