• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spins in a Bushmaster/Producer?

PA18project

Missoula MT
I am wondering if anyone has spun a bushmaster or producer. I built a bushmaster with 24 inch longer fuselage than a pacer and a three inch extended engine mount. Stock super cub tail feathers and stock Scott 3200 tail wheel. O320 engine and Catto prop weighing 14 pounds. I have not spun mine yet but would like to do so for the same reasons I have spun pretty much every aircraft I have flown. I would like to know the experiences spinning these aircraft as they seem to be a bit aft on the empty CG even with a three inch extended engine mount. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Go up to 10,000+ AGL, wear a parachute that is current, get some instruction on its use, make a door pin jettison set up to lose the door if need be. If you think the plane may go flat get some instruction on getting the plane out of flat spins. Take it or leave it but there you have it.

Whats the CG (from the LE)? If it tries to go flat or just doesn't want to pitch over when you push, be ready to go firewall forward. If that isn't producing adequate results, aileron hard into the spin.

I haven't the nerve. Stretched fuselage, Smith wings, turtleneck removed for cleaner lines, added 15 per cent to tail feathers, which were squared-off, extended gear, 0-360 Lyc, experimental 84/43 Mac prop. I've spun all my aircraft, too. I placarded my Bushmaster no aerobatics. It's all the plane I'd ever want. But I've fiddled so much with it, and with elementary aerobatical skills, I won't chance it.

I remember reading about a guy spin-testing a Bearhawk. He made sure to have an experienced acro pilot with him, parachutes, and a spin chute that tied to a releasable point on the tail.

Turned out he didn't need all that, but it seemed reasonable if you are doing test-pilot stuff.

Vic

You might try contacting Steve Bryant (Airwrench on here). He owns the STC for the producer.

I would think it must have been spun back in the day to get the STC.

I disagree.
My C150/150 taildragger was placarded "no intentional spins".
A friend had a C150 Aerobat with a different STC but the same placard.
I believe that was not because it was unsafe--
it was because the developers of the 150hp conversion STC's didn't want to go through a big spin test program for the STC.
Easier to just placard it for no spins.

I disagree.
My C150/150 taildragger was placarded "no intentional spins".
A friend had a C150 Aerobat with a different STC but the same placard.
I believe that was not because it was unsafe--
it was because the developers of the 150hp conversion STC's didn't want to go through a big spin test program for the STC.
Easier to just placard it for no spins.
That's basically it. All single engine airplanes are required to demonstrate a one turn spin with the recovery being by the completion of the second turn. Then they are placarded "no intentional spins".
To have the spin restriction removed a more extensive spin program is required. If my memory is correct, that is a six turn spin test demonstration.

Nope, it has never been spun. (Unless someone I don't know about did it) It was the first twin to be certified under the new rules which did not require spinning for twin engine airplanes. As I recall we got an exemption from the old regulations to use the new regulations for this purpose.

I wonder how that original lead sled SeaBee spun? They would have tested it.

And, I would respectfully point out that a Producer is not necessarily exactly (or even close to) the same as a Bushmaster, and vice versa. One is STC'd, the other is Experimental.

MTV

And, I would respectfully point out that a Producer is not necessarily exactly (or even close to) the same as a Bushmaster, and vice versa. One is STC'd, the other is Experimental.

MTV

Absolutely correct although there are quite a few similarities between the two. Given the limited number of these planes out there I figured I would try to cast a wide net to see if anyone had any experience spinning them. From the responses it sounds like the answer is no.

MTV

There are STC's on both planes, either plane can be built certified or experimental. The STCed Bushmaster is called a Super Pacer by the new owner of the STC. The Producer has wings similar to the PA 14, the Bushmaster is similar to the PA 18. Both the same airfoil and I believe similar spans. The Bushmaster has options on flap sizes. I have not spun my Bushmaster (SP). I have the PA 18 tail, by a different STC. Technically, it still has the PA 22 placard against spins. A stall takes a lot of power to get a break and is very benign. I wonder if it would stay in a spin.

Last edited:
There are STC's on both planes, either plane can be built certified or experimental. The STCed Bushmaster is called a Super Pacer by the new owner of the STC. The Producer has wings similar to the PA 14, the Bushmaster is similar to the PA 18. Both the same airfoil and I believe similar spans. The Bushmaster has options on flap sizes. I have not spun my Bushmaster (SP). I have the PA 18 tail, by a different STC. Technically, it still has the PA 22 placard against spins. A stall takes a lot of power to get a break and is very benign. I wonder if it would stay in a spin.

Mine is a stretched(30 inches) pacer with long D&E 66 riblett wings. The cg is good I can put two people in the back seat and two in the front, this requires just a bit of forward trim not a lot. I have a cub tail with large rudder. I want to spin mine but don't have the nerve either. I figured I would find someone with a ton of experience that was confident and watch them from the ground. :)

Mine is a stretched(30 inches) pacer with long D&E 66 riblett wings. The cg is good I can put two people in the back seat and two in the front, this requires just a bit of forward trim not a lot. I have a cub tail with large rudder. I want to spin mine but don't have the nerve either. I figured I would find someone with a ton of experience that was confident and watch them from the ground. :)
If you do not feel proficient in performing spins, then do not. Get a person who is qualified to do so, do it first. Then have him show you how, enough so that you feel comfortable.

If you do not feel proficient in performing spins, then do not. Get a person who is qualified to do so, do it first. Then have him show you how, enough so that you feel comfortable.

I would think that goes without saying but maybe not for some folks. I'm not worried about the spins, I don't know how my plane would do recovering, like the original poster. Marcus Paine looked my plane over and was convinced it would be just fine mostly like a cub. He didn't make it backup the next year to do some training with me in it.

My Bushmaster gained 85 pounds over its Pacer configuration. The tail weight increased 15 pounds and the empty weight CG moved 3.4 inches aft. I used the stock 0320 engine mount. This is easily within Pipers specifications. I think the plane lands slightly better with this increased aft CG. I don't see the point of using an extended engine mount. The STC does not approve an extended engine mount. And, like I said the plane is difficult to stall.

Back