• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HDHP: R.K. "Dick" Williams presents "Flying In Idaho" Wed, May 20, 7pm CDT (23:59z)

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
HDHP: R.K. "Dick" Williams presents "Flying In Idaho" Wed, May 20, 7pm CDT (23:59z)

dickwilliams.png

Dick Williams has been teaching backcountry flying for a long time. His recent book with Amy Hoover is a culmination of that experience written for every aviator. You will not want to miss this one!

Join Dick via Zoom or YouTube live on Wednesday May 20 at 7pm!

If you have registered for other HDHP presentations, you are already registered and can join up with the meeting details you received.

To register and join on Zoom, go here: https://bit.ly/2XBRxsp

To watch on YouTube Live: go here: https://youtu.be/XOpaaIja3Vg

We know everybody is not awake or can attend at this time so all presentations are recorded and saved on YouTube for future viewing with the link above.

Attachments

• dickwilliams.png
    dickwilliams.png
    912.6 KB · Views: 2,073
whatthe.jpg

Folks, I spent some time with Dick looking at his photos and videos that he will use for tonight's presentation. Some really great history of idaho flying, strips you have never heard of (old and new). Should be a great show!

sj

Attachments

• whatthe.jpg
    whatthe.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 225
I am looking forward to it, and posted a shout out for the event on the RANS S-7 Facebook page for my homies there. Dick is invited to fly into my place anytime he wants, to visit his daughter and grandkid, who live a 5 minute walk away up the mountain.

I am looking forward to it, and posted a shout out for the event on the RANS S-7 Facebook page for my homies there. Dick is invited to fly into my place anytime he wants, to visit his daughter and grandkid, who live a 5 minute walk away up the mountain.

That's awesome, thanks!

sj

Last night's presentation was delightful, kind of a behind the scenes story of Flying Idaho. A few years back Amy was doing the rounds here in the Northeast presenting her "Peaks to Pavement" seminar. A group of us attended the Albany, NY seminar. I found the presentation a bit frustrating until I recognized it to actually be a Flying Idaho seminar. She missed the point of trying to present it as she titled it since there was no connection to common airport operations, but once my mind took it as a high-altitude primer it was a great presentation.

Last night's presentation connected the long history of the Northwest's "Great Camps" to the delightful destinations available today that are not really in reach of "just everyone." It offered a good outlook on the difficulty of keeping the destinations open to us and the need and value of the "Flying Idaho" series he created.

It really was a glimpse into the kind of everyday aviation life of Idaho back in the day. What an amazing life experience. If you missed it, you can watch it on the youtube link in the first post!

sj

We really enjoyed Dick's presentation. I am looking forward to checking out Marble Creek in a few weeks.

Jeff

We really enjoyed Dick's presentation. I am looking forward to checking out Marble Creek in a few weeks.

Jeff

Someone cut a fiber optic line in my area and my server went down, but I just watched it,. Makes me want to move to Idaho, wait, did that 40 years ago! Parts of the state are boring enough to keep the population increase and development down to a low roar and 40 years later it's still all good pretty much. I too have my secret spots, and was glad to not see them featured, thanks Dick, good show.

Last edited:
I missed the live but tuned into the YouTube recording—really enjoyed the photos, stories, and info!

Thank you all so much for the nice comments. I got a bunch through email and facebook too. I had no idea that old picture show would be interesting to so many folks! I really love Idaho and its' aviation history and it's gratifying to see that others do too.
Steve and Laura do such a great job with this website, and their covid distractions are wonderful! As I said on the presentation, I really challenged them with my computer ignorance and weak internet, but they sure pulled through.
Thanks again to you all, and hope to see you in the backcountry!

My wife did not understand what the "Clicker" was for. After awhile my explanation got through to her that SJ was running the slideshow and you were cell only for voice. She finally recognized this since we live what most consider is "out in the woods" but have fiber optic but no cell.

The presentation was very well done and appreciated by us history buffs.

Great presentation thank you. Watched it from my home office in New Zealand. (lunchtime viewing)
Dick, you mentioned a new book you are working on - when do you think it will be available and does it have a title yet?

Kind regards Tim

Glad you liked it! Dr. Hoover, my primary editor, is reviewing the ms now and hopefully it will be ready to send to Dominique Etcheverry (the same graphic artist who did Notes and Aged) soon. I'll let the group know. It will be relatively short and inexpensive, obviously with a relatively small niche, and I'm still struggling with a title. I want to include cub-like aircraft and anyone interested in backcountry/STOL type operations. Maybe something like "The Super Cub/STOL Aircraft Chronicles" with a subtitle like "STOLin' with a Cub: Tips for Modern Day Bush Flying", or "STOLen by a Cub: Bush flying past to present", or "The Super Cub STOL the Day", or...? Open to suggestions and the winner gets a free autographed copy!

Excellent thank you... I'm looking forward to seeing it. Meantime I'll try to think of some names..
Regards Tim

Great - I look forward to reading it
Kind regards Tim
Great! The title will be STOLin' With a Super Cub: Backcountry Flying Zen and More. Title was from a combination of folks, but I'm handing the prize to my friend Brian Dunlop of Helena, MT. Can't wait to get it out there!

Back