• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fowler flaps

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
I have had my super cub modified with the Airframes' fowler flaps mod. I will be picking it up next month. Any advice on dos, don'ts, quirks, pluses, minuses, techniques etc. (compared to my old std flaps)? I fly mainly 31 bush wheels but will be on Edo floats some too occasionally. I am 180 hp with std wings and vgs. Vx, Vy, takeoff flap settings wheels and floats, climb out and approach attitudes, moose circling turns, narrow canyon turns, landing up-hill etc. How are they different? Anything I should watch out for?

Your cub is going to fly like a cub now. I say this because I flew it once about 3 years ago when it had incorrect incidence in the wings and worse,asymmetrical incidence from one side to the other. No offense meant but it was a very bad mannered airplane with a nasty stall/break to the right habit at over 50 mph GPS on a calm day. Your going to love it now and your new flaps will add to the performance gains. Pull your flaps handle a little slower and at a slower airspeed, you will notice it takes more muscle to apply them and your nose will lower more now.
Have fun
Dave

I have an experimental PA12 floatplane with those flaps. I usually take off with the first notch of flaps. If I try to pop it off the water by adding the second notch of flaps the nose pitches down considerably which requires a lot of back stick to keep it in the sweet spot. Just something to be aware of.

The first thing you will notice is how easy it is to leave hair and skin on the flap hanger, especially if you have a baggage door. A short piece of pool noodle, split on one side, works wonders.

Back