• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Geo-Referenced PDF's (Initially Alaska areas)

tedwaltman1

FOUNDER
Delta, CO
I figured out how to create geo-referenced PDF’s which you can import into ForeFlight. (ForeFlight Instructions here). These are LARGE files--use an app such as DropBox to transfer them to your mobile ForeFlight.

As far as I know, Garmin Pilot doesn’t support this feature. Please let me know if this changes (or if I’m incorrect).

The first two I created:

Ketchikan VFR Reporting Points link

Juneau CTAF areas & VFR Reporting Points link

At some point in the near future I’ll create a geo-referenced point for the Denali area

Anyone in these local areas that can please try these and report back would be much appreciated!

While creating these, I did find several errors in the lat/long data in the Alaska Chart Supplement. I tried calling the published 800# to update the FAA, but got voicemail. Likewise, it would be nice if the FAA were to add these PDF’s to their website(s). Please let me know if someone has an actual person contact #/email that I can try.

The FAA has two other geo-referenced PDF’s which they publish:

Knik Reporting Points link

Matanuska Susitna Valley CTAF area link

Thank you!

Last edited:
The link for how to upload doesn’t work.

I have FlyQ, any idea if they work on that platform?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried doing a Google search on FlyQ. They support georeferenced approach plates, but the current version of the manual doesn't seem to mention any import ability for custom charts. Sorry! Someone please let me know if I'm incorrect...

Maybe someone has some "leverage" with Garmin & FlyQ to get them to announce import capability for geo-referenced pdf's !

I sent a message to Seattle Avionics and asked if they could do something similar. Response sounded promising, but who knows how long it will take them to develop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted, using geo-referenced PDF's for simply bringing in the published reporting points is a very high bandwidth approach, and can distort the waypoint locations due to poor quality of the original map and the "rubber sheeting" process of georeferencing a sometimes poor quality map. A better approach is to use the source geographic coordinates (Latitude, Lognitude) and importantly the correct associated datum. For instance for the Denali Reporting Points, the NPS publishes a *.KMZ file of the names and coordinates with datum reference. Download it and it goes right into Google Earth in a user waypoints point group. Rename that group if you want (I used "Denali Wpts") for a name, and then right click on that group and select "Save As and for file type select *.KML as file type. Save it in Google Earth when you leave that program and you will have the reporting points there too for reference. Then transfer the KML file to your device running ForeFlight. It is straight forward to bring a KML file of waypoints into ForeFlight, see the manual. The Denali waypoint KML file (lots of points!) is only 119k, chump change for file size.

So here is another tip, you can do the same simple process in Google Earth for any group of waypoints you collect in that program. Say you have your favoriate fishing spots, or landing areas, or pick points you want to go to. Just group them, save the group as a KML file, export to your device, and BOOM, you have a group of selectable points. You will find the imported point groups in ForeFlight in Map View, under the Layer Tab (same place you select Sectional or IFR charts or the various other things to display in map mode).

Good luck. If you want the KML file as you can't weave your way through these instructions, PM me and I will send the Denali one to you. NOBODY gets my fishing or LZ ones though LOL.

Last edited:
Thank you Scooter. I use KML files into FF for non-published airstrips. You're absolutely correct re the large file size and the potential drawbacks. Simple FF user waypoints would work as you correctly note.

One advantage of the geo-referenced charts is that they are based off of detailed topographic charts. We used geo-ref charts while flying Part 135 for Wrangell Mtn Air in the Wrangell-St Elias Range last summer as it gave us mountain, creek and other geographic names to both relay to other pilots (doing scenic flights) in the area and to passengers.

To create the geo-referenced charts, I first got a set of point names and lat/long coordinates from the Alaska Chart Supplement. These were in an Excel csv format. Then I used this site https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth to create a KMZ file. Import that into Google Earth. Create a KML file. Edit that to change the location icon from the default circle to a flag. Then import that into the CalTopo site https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=55.46766,-131.92443&z=13&b=t. Then print the PDF.

Another + for using the georeferenced topping maps would be having the toppings map if you go down and try and walk out. Sectionals aren’t very good hiking aids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe someone has some "leverage" with Garmin & FlyQ to get them to announce import capability for geo-referenced pdf's !

Garmin is very aware that FF supports georeferenced PDF's and mbtiles formats. My guess is that GP is not too high on their priority list in the product review cycle because of Garmin's lack of competitive response to FF's innovations. That's why I switched back to FF. For those that are hesitant about the file size issue of these formats, the payoff is in the detail of the underlying maps and not so much the coordinates themselves. I use the mbtiles format (via Caltopo's site) on FF quite heavily and it's a game changer in the level of detail and information available.

I do like the interface of GP over FF and hope Garmin attempts to play catchup but it will take more than a couple of calls to get them interested. If you do contact Garmin on the subject feel free to give a thumbs down on the proprietary .gplt format for exporting user waypoints from GP. This is a uniquely bad idea and can't for the life of me figure out why they did this.

Jerry

Last edited:
If I promise not to share with anyone can I have the AK LZ file?! :wink: QUOTE=Scooter7779h;773710]Ted, using geo-referenced PDF's for simply bringing in the published reporting points is a very high bandwidth approach, and can distort the waypoint locations due to poor quality of the original map and the "rubber sheeting" process of georeferencing a sometimes poor quality map. A better approach is to use the source geographic coordinates (Latitude, Lognitude) and importantly the correct associated datum. For instance for the Denali Reporting Points, the NPS publishes a *.KMZ file of the names and coordinates with datum reference. Download it and it goes right into Google Earth in a user waypoints point group. Rename that group if you want (I used "Denali Wpts") for a name, and then right click on that group and select "Save As and for file type select *.KML as file type. Save it in Google Earth when you leave that program and you will have the reporting points there too for reference. Then transfer the KML file to your device running ForeFlight. It is straight forward to bring a KML file of waypoints into ForeFlight, see the manual. The Denali waypoint KML file (lots of points!) is only 119k, chump change for file size.

So here is another tip, you can do the same simple process in Google Earth for any group of waypoints you collect in that program. Say you have your favoriate fishing spots, or landing areas, or pick points you want to go to. Just group them, save the group as a KML file, export to your device, and BOOM, you have a group of selectable points. You will find the imported point groups in ForeFlight in Map View, under the Layer Tab (same place you select Sectional or IFR charts or the various other things to display in map mode).

Good luck. If you want the KML file as you can't weave your way through these instructions, PM me and I will send the Denali one to you. NOBODY gets my fishing or LZ ones though LOL.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Johnny. I did leave a couple of geo-ref files on Fly2ak. I also put up KML files (as you mention) on the links page. I changed the section header to better reflect this. I appreciate your tips and offer to help!

Fly2ak links page: https://fly2ak.com/?page_id=25

I use an app called Avenza Maps on my iPhone. There are quite a few geo referenced pdf’s in their library. I use some topos and also marine charts. I would like to know an easy way to get one of my own pdf’s geo referenced so I can use it on a job site. I know it can be done, I’ve googled it and quickly decided it’s above my pay grade.

I use an app called Avenza Maps on my iPhone. There are quite a few geo referenced pdf’s in their library. I use some topos and also marine charts. I would like to know an easy way to get one of my own pdf’s geo referenced so I can use it on a job site. I know it can be done, I’ve googled it and quickly decided it’s above my pay grade.

Go to caltopo.com and print to pdf is one way. Not sure if that's what you are interested in. Learning curve is not too steep.

Jerry

gbflyer...call me and I'll walk you thru the below process.

To create the geo-referenced charts, I first got a set of point names and lat/long coordinates from the Alaska Chart Supplement. These were in an Excel csv format. Then I used this site https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_in...rm=googleearth to create a KMZ file. Import that into Google Earth. Create a KML file. Edit that to change the location icon from the default circle to a flag. Then import that into the CalTopo site https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=55.4...92443&z=13&b=t. Then print the PDF.

Ted 303-378-4987

Hey Ted
What do you think about doing a Wednesday presentation on this stuff? Or if not, maybe a few short videos that would reach a bigger audience? I would really like to get a bit more savvy in incorporating this stuff the easy way into Foreflight (and/or Garmin). Ketchikan and Juneau are really a mess many months of the year and plain dangerous because of the amount of traffic and confines, complex routes and diversity of aircraft.
Many thanks for the input, when I get some time I will delve into the techniques noted above in this thread.

Thank you for the suggestion Skysurfer. Sounds like a good project.t for me to prepare a more in-depth article/video/presentation on one of those stuck-inside winter days (which are right around the corner!). I’m happy to help...

Ted

Ted I have KML files of the Knik reporting points as well as the Lake Clark Pass reporting points if you'd like me to email them to you

Thanks for the advice. So what I have is a PDF page of a construction set of prints. There’s Northings and Eastings on it if that helps. I’m not sure if going through google maps is gonna get me where I need to go but maybe it is, hahaha. My son the surveyor can get it done but he doesn’t have time for the old man right now. Little bastard. Hahaha.

Somehow (?) we have to get from “Northings and Eastings” to Lat/Long coordinates. After that it’s easy! ����

Somehow (?) we have to get from “Northings and Eastings” to Lat/Long coordinates. After that it’s easy! ����

Hi everyone, new to the forum and first post here.

Ted, I have an Excel workbook that can do exactly what you want as well as convert any list of GPS coordinates into a GPX or KML file. It was created by Guy Fisher and he did some absolute wizardry. I found it while looking for easy ways to move large numbers of coordinates to a GPS or FF for work. I don't think there is a way to share an XLSM file directly in the forum, correct me if I'm wrong though. Assuming I'm correct I'd be happy to email the file over to anyone who is interested, just send me a message or your email.

In regard to using topographic maps in flight, for the last two years I've been using my iPad to switch between FF and Gaia depending on what I needed at the moment. FF works fine while traveling longer distances and when I need aeronautical info, then I switch to Gaia when I need the help of precise topographic detail. Maps can be saved "offline" easily in Gaia and I've found that reducing their quality slightly makes file sizes manageable and still perfectly usable in the cockpit. You can also import waypoints just like FF, so once you have that GPX or KML file the rest is simple. One drawback is that you have to switch apps between FF and Gaia depending on what you want to see. The other drawback is that Gaia is now a subscription service.

Hope this helps, I'm loving reading about other peoples techniques for getting good topo maps in the cockpit!

Ted,
Got squared away on the Geo-referencing (thanks Orin) and thanks to Anson and yourself too for the files on fly2ak. If you get any points for the Denali area from someone and if you ever put one together for McCarthy and all around the Wrangell/St Elias with Icy Bay and some of your haunts that would really help. We know these areas but don't fly them enough to rattle off the correct geographical point or colloquialism to ingratiate the locals. Thanks again.

Back