• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 EDO 2000 rigging question

skukum12

The Last Frontier
Hello again experts,

PA12 with 18 gear, want to install some EDO2000s. Do I use 18 rigging or 12 rigging? I can buy a set of rigging that the seller says came from a 12, what do I look for to make sure the rigging will work?

Thanks, Joe

You want PA 12 rigging.

Back in the day guys used to cut PA-18 gear shorter to get them to fit on a PA-12, but if they didn’t ’t have the exact measurements, you’ll end up with toe out/in, incorrect pitch, etc. I’m sure some were done correctly, I’m also sure some were done with a Mark 1 eyeball.

You need 12 gear, wires, and some 12 and some 18 fittings.

If it’s going on a certified 12 you have to use certified parts. EDO parts are stamped. Eddie Peck’s are not certified and last I checked EDO has not given Peck permission to produce EDO parts.

Hold back an escrow of about $7,000 from the sale price. If you’re missing the correct pieces or if they are uncertified parts, you can use the escrow money to buy the very expensive correct parts.

I just talked to Eric Johanson at EDO and he has 3 sets of 2000s set up for PA12 with PA18 gear. He might cut you a sweet deal on a new set that makes buying used ones a foolish choice.

Good luck either way.

Paul Heinrich

Hello again experts,

PA12 with 18 gear, want to install some EDO2000s. Do I use 18 rigging or 12 rigging? I can buy a set of rigging that the seller says came from a 12, what do I look for to make sure the rigging will work?

Thanks, Joe

I just talked to Eric Johanson at EDO and he has 3 sets of 2000s set up for PA12 with PA18 gear. He might cut you a sweet deal on a new set that makes buying used ones a foolish choice.
This sounds like the route to go. There is nothing like a new set of floats without who knows what abuse on them. I'm still using a set of EDO 2000 which I bought new in 1970. I won't spoil your breakfast with what I paid for them.

This sounds like the route to go. There is nothing like a new set of floats without who knows what abuse on them. I'm still using a set of EDO 2000 which I bought new in 1970. I won't spoil your breakfast with what I paid for them.

But you'll have to swim to shore till that first ding

Glenn

Interesting, I called Eric yesterday and he didn't mention anything about having some ready to go. He must have sensed that I was going to get laid off later in the day. Damn covid.

Anyway, I spoke with Charlie Center and he informed me that there should be some blocks that link up at the cabane vee. Gonna take some barrels up to Bud Holt in about an hour for inspection and repair estimate. Bud has a neighbor that does lots of installs and he will ensure that the rigging I am considering has or doesn't have all the correct parts.

I’m confused. What am I missing?

“Interesting, I called Eric yesterday and he didn't mention anything about having some ready to go. He must have sensed that I was going to get laid off later in the day. Damn covid.”

Me: “I tried to send you a customer for 2000s for a 12. I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you said you had 3 sets available for sale. My bad.”

Eric: “We do have 3 sets. Nobody called me about floats for a PA12 recently other than you.”

Let me clarify.....I called in order to get specific rigging information. He referred me to Steve Kracke for a more detailed answer. I suppose I am simply used to getting the old "since we are talking about...." offer and didn't, it just struck me as unusual. Eric did a fine job, didn't try to upsale me and was extremely courteous. His first impression was that he is a very good person to have in the general aviation world.

Did you ever get the 2000's on the old Cruiser? I am sure you found out you can't successfully use 18 struts on a 12.....( But God knows many have tryed) To be 100% legal on a certified airplane you may find running a PA 18 front fitting block that is commonly used nowadays, even though it has Edo #'s for installation on an 18, may not be 100% on a 12 installation.[emoji848]
Edo's certified set up for a 12 on struts involves a front fitting that actually gets bolted inside with a tapered block that wedges against tubes in lower cabin section, those fittings are extremely rare.
The original drawings call for an additional brace, running from the bottom of engine mount bolt position to mid point of a diagonal tube forward of your fuel selector, met by another tube connection in same spot that gets added from the front seat truss........
Not sure there was ever an STC to mount 2000's on 12's with the 18 style blocks in between the gear fittings ???
Folks have done it for years but could be a "grey area"......[emoji2955]

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I had a -12 modified with -18 gear. Flew -18 float rigging with tie wire extensions for years. Plane never knew.

Gary

Never got past buying the rigging. Too much financial change due to the plandemic. Unless something changes soon, there will be some sweet rigging for sale.

I'd swear my old -12 went onto 2000s with Cub rigging. I know the floats came off a Cub and when I showed up one day they were on my -12. That was a fun float plane.

Back