Thread: Shipping Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping Suggestions

Need to ship some wing struts in the lower 48,any suggestions?
    UPS,Fedex are crazy prices and I heard never use USPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    All our common shipping companies limit to 108" long, total package size is 130" with the 3 dimensions added together. I use Fedex up to those sizes and anything larger travels by truck.

And correct, do not use our postal system for anything that can not fit on a vehicles seat next to you.
    Do not use UPS for any international packages.
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ?? Need to ship from lower 48 states to you in SA? Or need to ship within lower 48 states. Clarification might help.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to to ship from Arkansas to Minnesota, I really need to update my profile........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    .....Do not use UPS for any international packages.
    Curious why you say this?
    I recently shipped a small package to New Zealand.
    Took it to the Mailboxes Inc (or whatever) store,
    when they asked how to ship I told them to just use UPS (buddy of mine flies for them).
    They said they couldn't get a rate to come up for UPS or FedEx, so I ended up sending it USPS.
    The guy told me that the $40 fee was probably cheaper than either UPS or FedEx.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Curious why you say this?
    I recently shipped a small package to New Zealand.
    Took it to the Mailboxes Inc (or whatever) store,
    when they asked how to ship I told them to just use UPS (buddy of mine flies for them).
    They said they couldn't get a rate to come up for UPS or FedEx, so I ended up sending it USPS.
    The guy told me that the $40 fee was probably cheaper than either UPS or FedEx.
    At a minimum on inbound freight/packages they do or used to charge a minimum of $80 Brokers fees even when a package we under the minimum cost to pay a fee. Possible this may have changed but I do way to much international shipping to ever take a chance of being trapped again by them.

Most everything I send to Canada is on USPS but hose are parcel size items, not heavy or bulky parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't use USPS unless it was the only option left waiting for order shipped 4-23 from Boise ID, 4-24 Twin Falls ID, arrived 4-24 Denver CO, departed 4-28 Denver CO, now in transit to next location was supposed to be delivered 4-30. another order UPS Eugen OR shipped 4-28 expected delivery 5-5. Seems like everything I want is in the other end of the country as I'm in Maine
    Thanks 8GCBC thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Fastenal. Duck tape them between two 2x4s and put in a sonotube, cut a circular wood plug for both ends and screw and glue them in

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes jrussl, 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my struts from Univair, shipped airfreight, picked up at the PDX freight terminal. That was the best price by far at the time. But it was more than 10 years ago - - -
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha!! UPS up here is a joke. Fedex for second day, but ground might show up for six months.

USPS works well for us. Ship Air Priority.

But, for the struts, the air freight is probably your best bet, or Glenn's idea with Fastenall. Or, just drive up there and get them.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know when I order stuff from Spruce,
    USPS is almost always the cheapest option.
    And generally just a few days to delivery.
    This is for small packages however.

Post Thanks / Like
    From ACS USPS cheapest on smaller packages but after a certain size UPS ground is better. UPS is 2 days by ground for me. However if I order on a Thursday USPS will deliver on Sat. where as UPS will be Mon. Fastenall should be considered, can be a great way to ship an engine sometimes.

BTW, ACS now has some kind of facility in NY. If they happen to have it there I get it next day by UPS ground.

In general shipping costs have gotten insane. My theory is that because of the "free" shipping on Amazon and/or low cost on Ebay everyone else get's screwed to make up..........?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used Fastenal for several years but they were the best for cost vs bulk.

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience says stay away from the UPS bandits for any common carrier work. I had a set of used struts shipped to me - the seller sent me a picture of them outside the UPS terminal. A tracking number was provided and I followed the shipment until it got to Albany NY. The shipment then evaporated. As it turns out, the tracking number is for the trailer only - they have no clue where anything inside the trailer ever ends up. I inquired, was told I had to wait 30 days to make a claim, which I did. After a bunch of phone conversations and gobs of paperwork I was told they would pay out a grand total of $55.00 and was referred to a sub paragraph in their freight tariff that says they only pay pay by the pound for used equipment. Struts don't weigh very much. Our daily UPS parcel driver is great, but his cousins in the common carrier division absolutely suck.
    Ken Cornell
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a gun dealer/collector for many years and almost always used UPS. For the last 10 years have been building airplanes and the BBT(Big Brown Truck) has been sometimes a daily part of my life. I guess I'm lucky having never had to make a claim. OTOH both USPS and Fedex have broken and/or lost things. In my experience it is the Shipper who bears the loss and the shipper who must provide adequate insurance and the shipper who should provide adequate packaging. That said I have a friend who is a high end high $ antique arms dealer who has substained losses with all three major carriers and getting paid is difficult with them all.

OTOH I know big shippers who never buy extra insurance who find it's cheaper to just eat the occasional loss in the end..... ACS is an example. They've had terrible packaging for example cans of high $ dope broken/lost and other things gone missing through holes. I'd call and they would simply ship again at no cost. They are somewhat better now. At least they stopped using those blasted peanuts.

I simply HATE to ship anything. I once found a rare rifle, one of a kind and absolute must to complete my collection of early Mauser military rifles. It was in Wa state. I shipped a hard case to the seller and it came UPS. I tracked it through the 2 day extra "black hole" depot in Ill and then to a depot outside of NY city where it simply disappeared over one weekend. I talked to the manager up there who assured me they had good security including cameras and he couldn't understand. I was heartbroken. It turned out someone just got "over secure". At the time only handguns had to go next day air and receive absolute positive tracking and required to be locked-up on weekends and/or overnight. It seems a forman on Friday figured it was a rifle and locked it up but then took days off on Mon. and Tues. No one else knew. He came to work on Wen and there was still a stink about the "lost" high $ rifle which he was able to quickly find. What I learned was they went to a great effort including NY State police being involved.

And everyone's MWV, I know folks who have had absolute terrible experience with them all......

Of coarse that is past history. Shipping has changed and for the worst especially for the little guy/occasional shipper.

Bottom line. I've been lucky!

Jack
    Last edited by n40ff; 05-10-2020 at 01:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently sent some stuff to a SC-org'er in New Zealand.
    Went to the "UPS Store" (nothing to do with UPS-- just a Mailboxes Inc type store, just a different franchise)
    and asked to ship it UPS.
    The UPS computer system was accepting anything, the guy said USPS would be the cheapest anyway.
    OK I said. Got a tracking number & off it went.
    Well, it turns out they only track it until it leaves their last facility before heading out of the country.
    I mailed it March 31, it's been MIA since it departed SFO april 2.
    I tried to get a tracking / claim going on the USPA website--
    it just sends you in circles.
    Finally got through to someone on the phone, & all she could tell me was to just wait & hope it gets delivered.