• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baby bushwheel leaking around the valve

BritishCubBloke

SPONSOR
Bellingen, NSW, Australia
Hi Guys,

This baby bushwheel has only about 30 hours on it and is leaking around the valve. You can feel air coming out and the tire is completely flat.

I am trying to seal it up with rubber cement, but not hopeful.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

David

How old is it? Talk to the people who make them. 907-331-4480

Hi Guys,

This baby bushwheel has only about 30 hours on it and is leaking around the valve. You can feel air coming out and the tire is completely flat.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Have you thought of using/trying sealant that goes inside the tire as per this thread?

https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/baby-bushwheel-has-a-slow-leak-15282

You might even have some in your car if it was supplied without a spare wheel.

By the way seeing you now have a BBW do you still have your old scott tail wheel that you might consider parting with - if so I'm in the market as G-DADG is just starting rebuild - found one or two horrors when the fabric came off!

Hope you are not rushed off your feet by the virus - keep safe

Frank

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

David

I am assuming a baby bush wheel is a tube type wheel? - if it is the following sometimes happens, you get a puncture......but your tyre has sealed itself pretty well to the rim and it is acting like a "tubeless" tyre, except that it is leaking out around the valve stem......
only way to figure it out is to take the wheel apart and test the tube with some soapy water.

if it is a tubeless tyre then your valve stem seal is not sealing - some have an O-ring, some are push in type self sealing but might have foreign matter in it

That does not require a seal to the wheel.

so then it is like the Alaskan Bush Wheels, basically (in simplified terms) a beefed up tube.. that is tough enough to act as a tyre.
if so then I would tip toward valve stem damage, perhaps during inflation it has been pulled/pushed/twisted beyond its flexibility parameters....
AFAIK you can cut out the valve and replace it, but my path would be to ask the ABW guys, they have always been very helpful and knowledgeable.

Bushwheels and Baby Bushwheels have a tube and then the tire is made around it. I would try Stan's tire sealant or whatever Bushwheel is recommending these days. Call Bushwheel and see what they say.

Back