• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need help with spiders.

Kahles56

FRIEND
Pinehurst, NC.
To make along story short. I need help getting rid of and keeping spiders out of the hanger, Mostly Black Widow Spiders.

I cleaned up the hanger this morning and had ~ 50 or so BW spiders in the hanger.

Was just talking with a friend of mine and he said I should sell them. I hate the dam things.

What is the best spray to kill and prevent them from coming back..

Thanks in advance.

If the hangar is somewhat sealed up fill your generator/mower...both up with gas and let it run inside till it quits. Maybe carbon monoxide will kill them?

Glenn

Last edited:
An internet search comes up with several pest controllers in your general area. Have you considered them? But once gone they'll be baaaaaack unless you can plug their doors.

Gary

Stuff like WD-40 penetrates insect and arachnid bodies and stops them quick. As for preventing them? never heard of any such thing. Maybe spray jet fuel around windows and doors?

Web

Spiders need to eat and are attracted to sources of food. Build webs to catch food and feed their young. In 1971 on Kodiak Island we inherited an ancient work cabin full of spiders. It took burning a can of Buhach Powder to rid them. Not Black Widows however.

Gary

Attachments

• 24b24706a3b299e82f5b8ac24b7ebd35.jpg
    24b24706a3b299e82f5b8ac24b7ebd35.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 966
Sell them? Is that a typo?

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]I thought the same thing, he must have misspoke-- however he did not.

He said that some labs out there buy Insects for the venom and do research on it.

I was just shaking my head on the thought of that.

Man do I hate spiders.

Glad I have water city water on my hanger as I had to wash all around the whole hanger this morning and then use a squeegee to get rid of the water on the floor.

Was up EARLY this morning , could not sleep so decided to go out to the hanger . Got there at 0530 after a 30 min drive, It took me 3 hours to clean and wash the hanger down and finished at 0845 rolling up the hose.

I am getting ready to install some 12' x 2' pallet shelving, might go 14' x 2' on both sides of the narrow part of the T, thinking about having a bottom shelve, then a work shelf at about 36-40" and then install a floor at the 9-10 foot level for storage across the narrow T. Then I could get rid of my other two storage units. I need to go through those units and purge crap or sell anyhow.

I figure the cost of the shelving and floor will equal 6 months of unit storage cost , after that I save money as well as have every thing centralized in one area with one rental to pay.

[/FONT]

I use foggers from Raid or the other companies that make insect spray. Follow the instructions on the package and go back in a few hours and count the dead critters. I get them at Ace.

I'm not allowed to kill black widows. Chris identifies with them.

Spiders do good work. I try to leave them alone when I can.

Many of the foggers and other insecticides don't work on arachnids....spiders, ticks, etc. So, if you're going that route, make sure to read the label and be sure it lists arachnids as a target.

Frankly, my experience with spiders (which I dislike heartily) is that your best bet would be a low yield tactical nuclear weapon. I'd move the plane before application, though.

Got bit by a Black Widow when I was young. Haven't been a fan since, although I did get a lot of ice cream while I was in the hospital.

MTV

I used to have a hanger full of black widows every fall except for this last year. What I did the fall before made the difference. Instead of only killing the spiders with wd40 spray when I found them, I went around and sprayed their egg sacks, hanging in the webs. No spiders this last year....

Malathion or Diazinon used on fruit trees, Home Depot or where ever. Spray out side wall from ground up about a foot. spray inside where wall meets floor, coat a bit of floor and wall. Cheaper to buy as Diazinon than Home Defense. Mix with H20 as per directions put in hand or backpack sprayer. No more spiders for awhile. Don't let dogs or kids play next to wall for a day or two. Repeat as necessary.

We use Suspend or Suspend SC in a pump up sprayer, no more spiders which means no to few Mud Dobbers which are a big problem around the lake where we live.

Get rid of cardboard boxes, they are magnetic to bugs use plastic tubs. Makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
I love fast and easy , best method I like so far is the
"low yield tactical nuclear weapon". May be hard to get due to lock down due to Virus lockdown. ;)

But looks like I may have to go with
Malathion or Diazinon as sburg58 described along with Old Crows method of storage in plastic containers.

fobob- WD 40 on the egg sacks, worth a try as well.

Kind of like deciding on what needs to be done to a cub.

Start with first things first and work from there to the more advanced items.

I will have to seal the panels as well due to the spiders hiding between t hanger sheet pannels.

Are t Hangers supposed to have fire stop between hangers , or is this allowed?

I do thank you for the help on this subject as these things just scare the hell out of me , always have .

Tempo[emoji768] Dust (cyfluthrin), a pyrethroid dust, has been evaluated by Texas A&M University and provided relatively rapid kill of brown recluse spiders under laboratory conditions. A related pyrethroid insecticide, DeltaDust[emoji768] (deltamethrin), is also available to pest management professionals and may also be effective against spiders.

I use the liquid tempo and it is deadly on flies and cockroaches

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Step on them. You’re bigger than they are. You rule!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Should you happen to get to build your dream hanger, be sure to put plate seal foam under the walls, especially with metal buildings. Really helps keep the spiders ourside.

My mother-in-law would send my wife and I to collect the yellow fruits from Osage Orange trees. She cut them things in half and put them all around in her old house. She said spiders didn't like them.

Are t Hangers supposed to have fire stop between hangers , or is this allowed?

I’m sure it varies between jurisdictions, but where I’ve lived, fire block is not required Between T-Hangars, because they are Simple storage facilities. If you were going to sleep in one, or cook, etc, Itd need fire block. In Fairbanks, the Fire Marshall said you couldn’t store fuel in cans in one without fire block.....notwithstanding having seventy or eighty gallons of gas in the wings.....so don’t look for logic.

MTV

I love fast and easy , best method I like so far is the

Malathion or Diazinon as sburg58 described along with Old Crows method of storage in plastic containers.

Remember to spray ground/floor across the door opening. Keeps most other creepy crawlers away as well.

Should you happen to get to build your dream hanger, be sure to put plate seal foam under the walls, especially with metal buildings. Really helps keep the spiders ourside.

I was lucky when these hangers were built , I was in a very old t hanger with wire seperating each hanger. When the Airfield built these I gve input on design before plans were finalized.
Flexible caulking was requested under a seal plate and bent up the side for one foot. Sealer was requested to fill the voids of the corrugated metal sides and the seal plate.
We got the seal to the floor and the bent metal up the sides but not the seal in the corrugations.
You cannot win them all.

So I have to fill the corrugations on the bottom seal plate to the corrugated metal to get rid of cross hanger insect travel as well as fill the gaps on penetrations for the electrical at the ceiling level and odd and end openings at ceiling level.

Going to use tape and expandable foam for the job.

This is going to be a pain but better than insects from neighbor t hangers as I have one on each side and one 2 on the back so that is 4 hangers helping to keep me supplied with insects..

I wish there was some type of Light that would keep the critters away as I have power.
Oh Well....

They aren't as attracted to light from a yellow bulb as much as a regular light bulb. I kept a light on a porch in a place I lived once and it was quickly covered with webs and spider poop. Changed to the yellow bulb and the problem went down considerably. Finally just quit leaving the bulb on at night. Problem solved. lol...

Back