• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kx170b nav/comm

Aeronut

Kittery, ME
I'm in the early stages of building and I'm keeping an eye out for avionics so that I know what I'm looking and I'm ready to attack when a deal presents itself. I really like the utilitarian look and functionality of the Bendix KX170B and would love to have that as part of my panel as it would compliment my overall aesthetic goal of a rugged, utilitarian VFR aircraft. Are these worth getting? Most importantly, are they repairable with components more or less readily available or are they pretty much non-repairable once they've given up the ghost?

Thank you!

I have a Bendix KX175B which I used for 40 years with the only trouble being the volume pot wore a flat spot and needed to be replaced. Other than it being old and heavy and out of date, it is/was a great radio. It's taking up space on a shelf now. If someone gave you one for nothing, you may be happy for a while.

1) no

2) no

Web

LOL.

I have a TKM Michel MX-170b that's not working on the com side. I was almost contemplating sliding an old KX 170(b) in just to solve the problem, but I was thinking it would be more problem than it's worth in the short-term future.

If I could find someone to put a little Trig in locally, I think I'd be happy.

To be more thorough in my answer:

A KX170B was a decent radio in the 70's. It's an old, out of date design. Repair parts are non existent. It's heavy. It draws lots of current which translates to lots of heat generated. And the nav side only connects with display heads that are also out of date.

Now consider that it costs about the same to install a new design as the KX170B. Do you want to spend that amount of money on a radio that's already outdated or on a newer model that's going to be supported for a few more years? If you already have one installed and just want to slide another into a tray, it makes A LITTLE more sense but never for a new install.

Aeronut, what airplane are you working on? Do you really need a nav/com? What other avionics are you thinking about?

Web

"Utilitarian VFR airplane": get a modern com radio (Garmin, Icom, whatever) and a tablet with a GPS app.
And the same app on your cellphone.
Add txp & ads-b if required for your area of ops.
Boom-- you're done.

Echo what wirewienie said. The "utilitarian look" pales compared to the functionality of modern radios. I just pulled a KX-170B and head from my plane. I'll give it to you if you want.

Back