• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ozark Backwoods Challenge by ArkanSTOL

Young Aviation

Olathe, Kansas (Kansas City Area)
The Ozark Backwoods Challenge is like nothing you’ve seen before much less competed in. Inspired by the challenging terrain of the Arkansas Ozarks we dreamt up a new kind of competition that requires the skill, equipment and judgement necessary in REAL backcountry/bush/brush/backwoods flying and then added elements of time trials and drag racing into the mix. Let’s just say it’s a lot more complex than your standard STOL competition - a unique experience open to seasoned pilots with the right aircraft for the job.
Our first competition will be set deep in the Ozarks at the legendary Byrd’s Adventure Center (51AR) on September 10th-13th, 2020. You don’t want to miss this!

Attached is an overview of the event! We have our Facebook page up and running and we're working on a website for more information and registration.

https://www.facebook.com/ArkanSTOL/?modal=admin_todo_tour

This is a perfect event for the supercub.org community and we hope to generate a lot of discussion around backwoods technique as well as highlight the Ozark region which is full of backcountry fun!

More information to come!

Attachments

• ARKANSTOL Logo JPG.jpg
    ARKANSTOL Logo JPG.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 263
  • Ozark Backwoods Challenge Event Description - Rev 1.pdf
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I know...it's not a SuperCub! But hopefully it will grow up and be one someday! :smile:

Thanks for catching the blurry PDF...I've spent a good part of this morning reworking it...and it's still blurry. I'll get in touch with Steve to see if he can help and revise.

What's the old saying? "There's nothing new under the sun!"...or something like that. That looks like a great event and lots of fun. There are a lot of similarities to ours. Some of the differences are the distances between the runways and the actual terrain. All four runways are within a 1.5 mile area with obstacles, rising terrain and upslope runways...so it's a bit more compact and in easier view of spectators. I'm still working on making the attachment clearer...can't seem to figure out why it isn't working on the supercub.org website. In the meantime below is the wording from the sheet. I will also attach a photo depicting the runways...the shortest is 600' usable. The best times to run the course have been in under 4 minutes:

The Ozark Backwoods Challenge is a timed event requiring the participant to depart the main runway, land at three other designated runways and return to the starting point.

Goals - The purpose of the Ozark Backwoods Challenge is to:

· Bring together skilled pilots and STOL capable aircraft.
· Share experiences and exchange knowledge of backwoods flying.
· Showcase the Ozark region which has incredible flying venues in the center of the US.

Qualification

· Qualification on-site just prior to the event will be required.
· There is no restriction on the type of aircraft that may participate.
· Each pilot must demonstrate a takeoff in 400’ and a landing to a full stop in 400’.
· The designated takeoff/landing area will include an obstacle.
· Each participant will have two attempts to qualify.
· After qualifying, and prior to the event, there will be an opportunity to practice.

Event Rules (Preliminary)

· Take-off will be a standing start from midfield of Runway #1.
· Landing will be required at each of the other runways.
· Runways #2, #3 & #4 may be done in any order or direction.
· Each runway is done by landing, 180º turn and taking back off.
· There are no mandatory touchdown points.
· The finish time is determined by crossing the start/finish line on Runway #1.
· A rolling finish is allowed with a full stop required before departing the runway.
· Timing will be determined by an electric eye at the start/finish line.
· Each participant is allowed two attempts; placement determined by the best time.
· Only one aircraft will be allowed on the course at a time.
· Mandatory briefings will be conducted during the event.
· There will be a limited number of participants.

Timing

Event is Sept. 10-13, 2020 to take advantage of favorable weather in the region. The designated rain date is October 29-Nov 1, 2020.

Sponsorships

Sponsorships will be available and provide manufacturers a unique opportunity to showcase their products!

Spectators

Spectators are welcome to either fly or drive into Byrd’s. The field will be closed to fly-in aircraft while participants are on the circuit.

The event will be held at Byrd’s Adventure Center (51AR) in northwest Arkansas. The runways are between 600’ and 2,500’ usable length. All of the runways are within a 1.5-mile area and have turf surfaces with natural obstructions. This is not a traditional STOL event as strategic planning will have a significant influence on time to complete the circuit. The fastest time demonstrated so far has been 3 minutes 40 seconds.

Byrd’s Adventure Center is a well-known and fully operational adventure park along the beautiful Mulberry River. It offers campsites, cabins and RV parking. Byrd’s is set up well to host the event with a general store, restaurant, showers and main stage area. Other on-site activities include extensive ATV/UTV/4X4/motorcycle trails, hiking, canoeing, rafting, kayaking, fishing, concerts and of course…flying!

STOL Flyer Word - Byrds.jpg

Attachments

• STOL Flyer Word - Byrds.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 265
  • STOL Flyer Word - Byrds.jpg
    STOL Flyer Word - Byrds.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 337
I recently cut in (simply mowed it and removed some sage brush), what I am calling a X wind strip on my 40 acres. It didn't occur to me until afterwards, that I could make a normal takeoff from my regular strip, and then, immediately upon liftoff, crank a very hard left, slip the hell out of it, and "right now", set up for the new strip. THEN, it occurred to me, once down on the new strip, after a takeoff, I could immediately crank hard right and land back on the "main" strip (all 400' of it). It is all cranking and banking, at low speeds, with very tight turn radius's.

After a couple times of trying this new runway deal out, all without leaving my property boundaries (and thus complying with all pertinent stay at home orders.....) out, it occurred to me that it would be fun to compete with others, have a timed lap race, except I'd be cheating as I have it dialed in. And now, a few days later, I see the Ozark crowd has stolen my idea! It sounds like a blast, too far away for me, as I still work for a living, unlike most of the idle rich on this site, he he he, but I look forward to seeing the videos. And, I want a T-shirt, if any are being sold? Hats? This concept could make the old fashioned straight line STOL events obsolete.

I recently cut in (simply mowed it and removed some sage brush), what I am calling a X wind strip on my 40 acres. It didn't occur to me until afterwards, that I could make a normal takeoff from my regular strip, and then, immediately upon liftoff, crank a very hard left, slip the hell out of it, and "right now", set up for the new strip. THEN, it occurred to me, once down on the new strip, after a takeoff, I could immediately crank hard right and land back on the "main" strip (all 400' of it). It is all cranking and banking, at low speeds, with very tight turn radius's.

After a couple times of trying this new runway deal out, all without leaving my property boundaries (and thus complying with all pertinent stay at home orders.....) out, it occurred to me that it would be fun to compete with others, have a timed lap race, except I'd be cheating as I have it dialed in. And now, a few days later, I see the Ozark crowd has stolen my idea! It sounds like a blast, too far away for me, as I still work for a living, unlike most of the idle rich on this site, he he he, but I look forward to seeing the videos. And, I want a T-shirt, if any are being sold? Hats? This concept could make the old fashioned straight line STOL events obsolete.

Thanks for the note...we're very excited about the event...it does get your heart pumping that's for sure!

I'm sharing our teaser video for the Ozark Backwoods Challenge. Although it's speed up it should give a little better idea of the course. As soon as things dry out a bit we'll be heading to Byrd's to capture more detailed video of each runway. This run was done in 4 minutes 39 seconds...but better times have been recorded!

Registration is now open!

I'm sharing our teaser video for the Ozark Backwoods Challenge. Although it's speed up it should give a little better idea of the course. As soon as things dry out a bit we'll be heading to Byrd's to capture more detailed video of each runway. This run was done in 4 minutes 39 seconds...but better times have been recorded!

REGISTRATION IS OPEN!!!
The ArkanSTOL website is LIVE and we are accepting registrations. Don't hesitate! Due to the one-at-a-time nature of the course, we will have to limit the competition to 35 aircraft.
Email us at challenge@arkanstol.com with any questions!

Here's a new teaser video...this will be a fantastic course for the light sport and bush class...might see some aircraft over the 2,300 lb mark as well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlC...xKJ67j7gvp5mrpUv52Fl-_x7wv5fmed_xL8GIxI9TK7RM

Register at www.arkanstol.com

ARKANSTOL Logo JPG.jpg

Attachments

• ARKANSTOL Logo JPG.jpg
    ARKANSTOL Logo JPG.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 201
Is anyone at or headed to Byrd’s? I’m guessing the rough weather out west and the central part of the country has got a few spooked off. That said, the weather that direction looks nice for the weekend.

We were down there yesterday with Steve Pierce. He is planning on heading back down today if the weather straightens out a bit.

There is a 17 year old girl in a carbon cub down here that is making everybody else look like a rookie.

Annotation 2020-09-10 074646.png
Annotation 2020-09-10 074707.png

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-09-10 074646.png
    Annotation 2020-09-10 074646.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
  • Annotation 2020-09-10 074707.png
    Annotation 2020-09-10 074707.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 220
She is good. The qualification was humbling. Full slip down over the trees and power lines and land in 500 feet with some DA and tailwind sure got my attention. Joe told me he has had some competitors come in, takea look at it and leave. Those hills and trees get your attention.
Had a lot of fun exploring northwest Arkansas with SJ and Laura and meeting up with folks I have met at other events.
IMG_20200909_142811.jpg
Laura's photo of catching up with Levi.

Joe needs one of those shirts that says "If you can read this the B***** fell off" on the back. 8)
IMG_20200909_143625.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_142811.jpg
    IMG_20200909_142811.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20200909_143625.jpg
    IMG_20200909_143625.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 241
[******The qualification was humbling. Full slip down over the trees and power lines and land in 500 feet with some DA and tailwind sure got my attention.]

Sounds like a Tom Ford and CC Joe kind of a place. Too bad Ford discovered floats and Joe went bike racing.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

We had to leave after the first run yesterday, but at that time things were going good. It was fun to watch for sure and a pretty good turnout given the morning fog and generally low ceilings. Byrd's is a great place, and if you a Gaston's only visitor in this area, you need to add a few more stops to your list.

Great catching up with lots of folks from here, seeing Flip Flop hats being worn, and watching some good pilots fly.

as6.pngas5.pngas4.pngas1.pngas3.pngAS2.png

Attachments

• as6.png
    as6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
  • as5.png
    as5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • as4.png
    as4.png
    855.1 KB · Views: 197
  • as1.png
    as1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 208
  • as3.png
    as3.png
    797.6 KB · Views: 176
  • AS2.png
    AS2.png
    952.9 KB · Views: 198
I assume arkanstol or someone will post the participant list and their best times. Will be interesting to see.
And for those that attended, if there was any piloting trends that placed the finishers.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I assume arkanstol or someone will post the participant list and their best times. Will be interesting to see.
And for those that attended, if there was any piloting trends that placed the finishers.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Never assume, but I suspect they will. Already hit them up on their FB page. I know one of the organizers is flying around with Pierce right now so I'm guessing tonight or tomorrow.

sj

From the Arkanstol FB page

HUUUUGE Congratulations to the winners of the inaugural Ozark Backwoods Challenge!
Keep watching in the coming weeks for the absolutely LEGEND story that unfolded on the course this weekend! (Reference times below)

Touring Class
1st 3:23 Chad Breuer. Maule M5
2nd 3:25 Bill Gilstrap. Cessna 172
3rd 3:29 Joel Dopson. 172 Taildragger

Bush Class
1st 2:51 Rob Brady. Cubcrafters FX3
2nd 2:56 Kevin Johnson. Super Cub
3rd 3:08 Robert Drouin. Aviat Husky

Light Sport Class
1st 2:38.2 <Overall fastest time> Steve Henry. Just Highlander
2nd 2:38.7 Jaden Newman. Carbon cub SS
3rd 2:48 Eddie Sanchez. Just Highlander

Doesn’t he know those big tires slow down that outlaw cub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kick myself for not making time to swap tires. I’m sure it would have helped some. That said, Rob in the fire breathing FX3 would have been hard to beat. Heck of a stick and that constant speed prop had to help on the long stretch and slowing down.

I’ve decide to name my cub “Tina”. The abuse I put her through on Saturday makes me feel like Ike Turner. That course is hard on equipment!

And the story that SJ is hinting at is unreal. Never seen anything like it. It’s a Disney movie. Just wait for the aviation media feeds to start leaking out. We have a new star and its a 17 yrld girl!

Back