• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

very odd... FAA cares act funding by airport....

Okay...since I’m the guy that maintains PAPM...when do I get the $20k? I’ll make sure the runway is um...just like it is...perfect..did see one runway light out today...I’ll fix that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Around here the state owned airports get a generous grant that they do not need but the privately owned operations do not see a nickle. So a state gets money while the flight schools and mechanics who no longer have any income yet has to keep paying the state lease, insurance and other expenses see little to no help.

Our airport is getting $30K. We are watching how this money gets spent. One person has a contract to run the airport and he has one emplyee who works weekends. A neighboring airport got $20K and they have no services, buildings etc, just a runway. If your shut down flight schoolneeds funding there are different programs for them.

Wonder what Frank's going to do with that money here at Palmer? After the desperately needed 'heli pads' and pulling the gates shut (but not locking them) for 'security', whats next? Maybe an electric dog polisher?

Web

I agree with Steve--
we need to keep on top of our public airport operators to see that the money is spent wisely.

My home airport 0S9 got $30K also.
I think that must be the standard or minimum award,
as they're showing that amount for a lot of airports.
But nearby Port Angeles KCLM got $69K,
and Orcas Island KORS got $1,0041,161 !!
And Bellingham KBLI got $5,015,751!!
KBLI is a big towered airport, & KCLM is a little bigger than my airport, but KORS isn't any bigger than mine--
so I don't really know why there's such a huge difference in the size of the grants.

Well, get this: Our local airport (BZN) is the busiest airport in Montana (which isn't saying a lot), and is scheduled to receive just over $15 million of this money. Down the road a piece is West Yellowstone, whose airport is State operated, but is seasonal. At it's busiest, it serves two airline flights a day. It's closed for the winter, though.

West Yellowstone airport is scheduled to receive $17 million.

Go figure.

MTV

Opinion: that $ should be going to testing kits and unemployment funds. We sometimes pave stuff that is almost perfect to start with, while our local roads get deeper potholes. Is the problem a bloated bureaucracy?

Well, get this: Our local airport (BZN) is the busiest airport in Montana (which isn't saying a lot), and is scheduled to receive just over $15 million of this money. Down the road a piece is West Yellowstone, whose airport is State operated, but is seasonal. At it's busiest, it serves two airline flights a day. It's closed for the winter, though.

West Yellowstone airport is scheduled to receive $17 million.

Go figure.

MTV

Maybe it's frost heaves. BZN sits on gravel.

But I share your confusion. BZN had 670295 enplanements in 2018. WYS had 8200.

So that means West Yellowstone is getting $2073 per enplanement????

Excuse me, but this is horse ****. How in the world does this help with the corona virus? Absolutely no money to where it will help.

Opinion: that $ should be going to testing kits and unemployment funds. We sometimes pave stuff that is almost perfect to start with, while our local roads get deeper potholes. Is the problem a bloated bureaucracy?

They're throwing money around like a drunken sailor, I don't get it either.
Testing kits, PPE, unemployment benefits for those thrown out of work by CV,
and stay-in-business grants to businesses killed by CV --
all better uses of this money.

Anyone notice there are essentially no more FAAST seminars. Maybe it is just here in the Northeast but there is no money available from the FAA for travel and training. Thankfully we have webinars but to me they reduce the depth of learning available.
So now, FAAST reps still can not get a nickle to teach safety and proficiency but airports now get a dump truck load of money which just might not get out to those that need it.

Excuse me, but this is horse ****. How in the world does this help with the corona virus? Absolutely no money to where it will help.
airports have a base cost that it takes to keep the lights on, the intent of the funding is to offset the lost of revenue from a sequestered traveling public.

And another positive about funding, GRANT ASSURANCES! Airports that take public funding become beholden to follow FAA guidelines for public use for a time determined. So these airports getting bucks now must remain open to the public in the future.

As far as $ given, like the stimulus before, money goes to project ready to build, as in all engineering completed ready to advertise. Possible that West Yellowstone is getting a major upgrade for all year operations? Have they had a big project waiting for dollars?

Lots of this is to put people to work. A ten million dollar construction project will put many people to work. Not saying this is the correct approach, but what is happening.

Lots of this is to put people to work. A ten million dollar construction project will put many people to work. Not saying this is the correct approach, but what is happening.

Lewiston ID airport is getting a new runway right now. It seems strange to see a shutdown in town and scurrying construction equipment at the airport, but I'm all for it.

But this was in the works before the virus.

Up the road from us is Pullman. They are getting over 10 times as much as LWS. It's an uncontrolled airport serving a smaller community. But that community (Pullman/Moscow) has two universities. It does have more scheduled flights but fewer "enplanements."

But they already got their runway and improved instrument approaches.

The formula behind these things is too strange for me to contemplate.

airports have a base cost that it takes to keep the lights on, the intent of the funding is to offset the lost of revenue from a sequestered traveling public.

Our airport gets almost nothing from the "traveling public".
There is a very minimal landing fee for commercial flights,
of which there are very few & I'll bet most if not all are unreported.
(we have no onsite management personnel)
The rent for the airport-owned hangars, & land leases for private hangars,
is continuing to be billed at full rate.
They get a flowage fee from the privatized fuel concessionaire--
yes, fuel sales are off, but they don't usually amount to a helluva lot to begin with.
The main impact to the Port is going to be commercial tenants that won't weather the economic storm.
I think the three airport businesses will be OK, the marina businesses maybe not so much.

.....As far as $ given, like the stimulus before, money goes to project ready to build, as in all engineering completed ready to advertise....

I don't think this is the case, at least at my airport.
We have a big runway reconstruction project starting May 4,
$3M+, but it is already funded.
And but one small portion of that project is already 100% FAA funded (instead of the usual 90%).
There are no other projects that are anywhere close to being actually planned out
(as opposed to just day dreamed about) as far as I know,
let alone any that are "shovel-ready".

Our airport might as well be private, ZERO outside traffic since the fuel pump is key access only, for people who are special, they just put in t hangars three years ago, there is an Ag ops guy here who thinks he owns the airport and airspace, “through the fence operation” EPA would have a hay day, another guy who says he does aircraft maintenance living on the airport with his non Aviation friend and his Motorhome hooked up. The airport continues to get grant money. Looking at the FAA CARES website, it got $30,000.00.

Our airport might as well be private, ZERO outside traffic since the fuel pump is key access only, for people who are special, they just put in t hangars three years ago, there is an Ag ops guy here who thinks he owns the airport and airspace, “through the fence operation” EPA would have a hay day, another guy who says he does aircraft maintenance living on the airport with his non Aviation friend and his Motorhome hooked up. The airport continues to get grant money. Looking at the FAA CARES website, it got $30,000.00.
Sounds like an opportunity push the airport to use the funds to install credit card fuel.

Sounds like an opportunity push the airport to use the funds to install credit card fuel.

doubt it, the rumor on the street is that the city/county funnels airport grant funds to the county. It’s been an on going drama, the FAA investigated some shoddy local bubba system with a contractor a while back, havnt heard anything since.

Back