• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dakota Cub adjustable brake rod assembly?

Have you tried doing the runup from the back seat? That would take the front linkage and pedals out of the equation.
DENNY

Have you tried doing the runup from the back seat? That would take the front linkage and pedals out of the equation.
DENNY

Thanks I'll give that a go when I get it out of the barn for the first time this spring...should be soon.

Just put them in my 18A along with the AA / North River brake boosters. Love them. Work really good. I had to replace my brake pedals and decided to install them instead of the steel rods from Univair.

Sometimes the front pedals get bent from soft brakes and pushing hard. Check them too. I’ve put the dca rods in a few and the master cyl kits in a bunch of airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the Dakota brake rods in last fall and like them. I am more careful about not stepping on them getting in and out because they are spendy. If your brakes aren’t holding I don’t think the Dakota rods will fix the problem.

Sometimes the front pedals get bent from soft brakes and pushing hard. Check them too. I’ve put the dca rods in a few and the master cyl kits in a bunch of airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks ill have a look at that too. which master cylinder kit do you recommend?

Peter, We just finished putting Dakota Cub High pressure masters in my SC. As you know I had no brakes if any. Now with the masters changed and the adjustable rods the plane does not move all the way up to full static run up. Thanks Tom for the advise. Pete if you want to try the difference contact me and we can meet. Chip

farm_boy252,
I read the thread to fast and thought you were the other farm boy (NY). Sorry

all good! I'm a long way from NY too, NWT Canada lol.

Just to update the from the rear - the brakes hold on run up, the front pedals don't look bent....so for now I ordered the adjustable rods. I suspect I will still order the booster kit and install at next annual. Does anyone know do the lower brake lines need to be changed too? I see cubcrafters kit comes with the main high pressure lines.

Raised by wolves can give you a better idea of what was needed to do mine. I have single piston clevelands on my 95.

all good! I'm a long way from NY too, NWT Canada lol.

Just to update the from the rear - the brakes hold on run up, the front pedals don't look bent....so for now I ordered the adjustable rods. I suspect I will still order the booster kit and install at next annual. Does anyone know do the lower brake lines need to be changed too? I see cubcrafters kit comes with the main high pressure lines.
Do you still have the original type flexible brake hoses? They were designed for low pressure. The original master cylinders only put out 350 psi. As a result when you push more pressure through those hoses they swell up instead of applying brakes. Change your hoses to the high pressure type with reinforcement. Doing just this will direct all of the brake fluid to the brakes rather than just swelling up the hoses. This alone will help.

Cut and thread some old tailfeather flying wires.......did mine years ago.

Do you still have the original type flexible brake hoses? They were designed for low pressure. The original master cylinders only put out 350 psi. As a result when you push more pressure through those hoses they swell up instead of applying brakes. Change your hoses to the high pressure type with reinforcement. Doing just this will direct all of the brake fluid to the brakes rather than just swelling up the hoses. This alone will help.

Thanks for the tip. do you have any leads on where to get the hoses? I think I saw on Univar they were like 160 a piece!

Thanks for the tip. do you have any leads on where to get the hoses? I think I saw on Univar they were like 160 a piece!
Where are you in NWT? Near any big town where they can supply you with hose? Is there an aircraft maintenance shop where they can make up some hoses for you? The original hose had no fabric reinforcement in the hose, just a plain rubber hose which was crimped to a fitting. New ones can leak at the crimp. Most any hose with embedded woven reinforcement will be capable of the higher pressure.

Web's mention of AN fittings is the best. Whatever you use it must match up with what you have. The original was just a commercial fitting to a copper tube with 1/8" pipe at the master cylinder..

Where are you in NWT? Near any big town where they can supply you with hose? Is there an aircraft maintenance shop where they can make up some hoses for you? The original hose had no fabric reinforcement in the hose, just a plain rubber hose which was crimped to a fitting. New ones can leak at the crimp. Most any hose with embedded woven reinforcement will be capable of the higher pressure.

Web's mention of AN fittings is the best. Whatever you use it must match up with what you have. The original was just a commercial fitting to a copper tube with 1/8" pipe at the master cylinder..

I'm in Norman wells so no such luck with that...
Just saw this posting now and already went ahead with ordering parts. I ended up getting the adjustable break rods from Dakota cub and the brake booster kit from cubcrafters....which also came with the brake lines. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. I ended up talking to my AME (busy and hard guy to get on the phone) and his opinion was this - the cubcrafters or north river boosters are the easiest to install, but the Dakota ones are the best - and worth while installing if its at the time of a total airplane rebuild.

The reason I could go with the Dakota Cub High pressure master cylinders is that I have a metal belly pan and it made it easy to install. I have been out a few times with them and stopping is great. Good luck with your new set up, it is nice to have good brakes.

Installed Dakota Cub high pressure masters on mine. Requires making 2 small holes in the fabric to get a wrench in as I recall. Simple little patches to the fabric then.

I'm in Norman wells so no such luck with that...
Just saw this posting now and already went ahead with ordering parts. I ended up getting the adjustable break rods from Dakota cub and the brake booster kit from cubcrafters....which also came with the brake lines. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. I ended up talking to my AME (busy and hard guy to get on the phone) and his opinion was this - the cubcrafters or north river boosters are the easiest to install, but the Dakota ones are the best - and worth while installing if its at the time of a total airplane rebuild.
I would return the Cub Crafters boosters. If your mechanic is concerned with the ease of installation get Steve's Brakes. They bolt on like the Cub Crafters but are vented and don't require adding and taking away fluid to have good brakes. Ask anyone here who has had the sealed brakes and they will complain about having to service them quite often. Not that big a deal to put holes in for the Dakota Cub master cylinders either.

Back