• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Crazy CHT Readings O-360

AkTopCub

Started out on a evening flight Saturday and and about 15 minutes into it, what is normally a steady CHT
around 310 started jumping all around. 150 to 250 back to 125 up 225 then remaining steady at 310 again before repeating. It never read above 310 and all other gauges were in the green. It’s a EI 3 position gauge. EGT OAT CHT....Wire connections looked fine. It looks like where the probe goes into the cylinder, it’s also paired with the tannis heater... my question is can I just order the CHT probe or is it a combination of CHT/Tannis? I’m hoping to get my mechanic to look at it soon. It was low tide during the flight with plenty of beaches to set down on, but it was enough to make me promptly turn around...
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

broken wire at a crimp joint... try redoing those first... EI likes solid wires, which break at one sudden time...

What Mike said. Find the connection at the probe, where it joins the main harness. It will be either a spade connector or one of the new gas tight connectors. Replace both sides of the spade connector and recheck. If a gas tight connector, remove it and re install it on clean wire ends, then recheck.

And it's a stand alone probe. Nothing to do with the tannis system.

Web

I would think that is a simple instrument issue. I would agree with Mike!! For what it is worth single cylinder EGT/CHT is like tits on a BOAR hog.
DENNY

I would think that is a simple instrument issue. I would agree with Mike!! For what it is worth single cylinder EGT/CHT is like tits on a BOAR hog.
DENNY

Thanks fellas! I will start with checking the wiring and connectors. Just for grins and giggles, if a guy was to install an actual engine monitor.... which brand/model would you go with? Its fixed pitch, so I don't need one the reads MP....

Thanks, Jim

How deep do you want to go? Low end,use any four point digital E.I gauge. At the upper end, get a CGR-30.

Web

Back