• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HDHP: Mike Vivion: Flights on the Wild Side! April 29, 2400z

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Mike Vivion.png

Great photos and great stories will all be a part of Mike Vivion recounting his experiences as a pilot and wildlife biologist in Alaska!

Be sure to register in advance using the link below if you want to be part of the interactive Zoom session. Only 500 seats are available.

Click here for the details to be on the live interactive Zoom session, or subscribe to our YouTube live stream:

LINK TO THE LIVESTREAM EVENT ON YOUTUBE: click here

Attachments

• Mike Vivion.png
    Mike Vivion.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,331
Last edited:
Statute of Limitations has finally run out!

Please copy and post it just in case some of us are working and can not get to it.

Just got off the horn with Mike, we are all setup for Wednesday! I will send some reminders, but be sure to mark your calendars - this is gonna be good!

sj

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT FOLKS!!!!

You don't want to miss this one, but if you do, you CAN watch it later...

sj

Thank you Mike. Awesome presentation. You lived an amazing and interesting life in Alaska. Really enjoyed your talk. Thank you!!!

Bill

Awesome performance, Mike. We may have actually met many years before we did...I flew DC-8's thru Cold Bay on occasion going to and from Vietnam from 1968 to 1975.
Lou

Fantastic Mike! Thank you! Thanks for mentioning Jorgy, he was one of the good ones for sure.

Kurt

Last edited:
Mike, you gave an awesome presentation! That has been true for every presentation I have heard you give, and this was no exception. What a wealth of experiences you have had.

There is a book to be written...

Randy

Good show Mike and enjoyable commentary to go with the pictures. At least you showed some fish so I take back what I've said about ground pounders.

Gary

Thank you, Mike and Steve, for this one. It was a superb presentation with the balance of the biological work and the airplanes needed to get the work done.
I think about days that I am tired at the end but still have one more thing that must get done -- and those seem trivial when you present the picture of your plane thigh deep in snow. That is a lot of shoveling and stomping to get a chance to get enough speed for the skis to get on plane so you can get home especially when it is really cold out.

Steve, each one of these presentations is climbing the ladder of superbness, How tall is this ladder to be :up

Steve, each one of these presentations is climbing the ladder of superbness, How tall is this ladder to be :up

HA!, we sure started off with three great ones! I've got a couple more (as yet unlisted) in the works, but am always open to suggestions, introductions, etc!

I suppose it also depends on how "rung out" everyone is from going up and down this ladder... :)

Thanks!

sj

Thank you, Mike and Steve, for this one. It was a superb presentation with the balance of the biological work and the airplanes needed to get the work done.
I think about days that I am tired at the end but still have one more thing that must get done -- and those seem trivial when you present the picture of your plane thigh deep in snow. That is a lot of shoveling and stomping to get a chance to get enough speed for the skis to get on plane so you can get home especially when it is really cold out.

CharlieN put this much more clearly than I could. Now I have a better appreciation for some of the 'campfire' conversation with Mike Vivion and Ralph Rogers. Big thanks to Mike, and to SJ for sharing this.

Thanks. cubscout

My note of thanks to Steve for arranging this and Mike for giving us a window into his career experience. Mike is a legend within the agency flight world up here, and after seeing his presentation it is easy to see why.

As a follow up, I just found a fairly short video (13 minutes) which describes the Izembek National Wildlife Refuge far better than I did. This video was put together by the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology in response to attempts to get approval to build a road through the Izembek wilderness from the village of King Cove to Cold Bay.

The video is not political, just factual about the place. If you figure you'll never get to fly 700 miles plus southwest of Anchorage, watch this short video....it'll give you a very pretty introduction to the spectacular country that's out there, and some of the amazing critters that live there. Beautiful videography.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBbA7iJN8g&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

MTV

Last edited:
Mike, I want to thank you for bringing this to us. The quality of filmwork and the presentation is spectacular.

Back