• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

new compass

pokey

northern colorado
All,
On an 1973 180J..... what is a nice whiskey compass upgrade retrofit? Any opinions? The original is leaking pretty good and I need to either repair and clean it up or just go for an improvement. I am leaning towards upgrade.
Thanks
Bill

How useful is this compass to you? Lots of these just point to the last weld. If yours has been reasonably reliable, just get a kit and replace all the gaskets and the diaphragm. It's not difficult. If you want a different style, look at the PAI vertical card compass or the Pegasus.

Web

be careful repairing it yourself...(or logging it..?) even though so simple... One of the mechanics that worked for us lost his A&P for a while, earlier for replacing the gasket and refilling a compass.... because it's considered "instrument overhaul" as ridicules as that is...

Weekends work in summer. Actually usually all it takes is tightening up the gasket fasteners and submerging the unit in fluid with the fill cap off to get rid of any bubbles.

Gary

My R44 was delivered with a vertical compass (RHC installed it for some reason, the order sheet said wet compass). So when I picked up the chopper in Torrance ... I thought “Why did they put a vertical compass in?” Well, now I could never go back after 45 years using regular whiskey compasses!

If you are into tradition navigation, vertical card is fantastic! Wet compasses seem to go “South” and leak every 5-10 years also.

Note: However, Ritchie Compasses, on ocean vessels, last 30+ years. But, they operate at 0’ MSL.

Pokey, do you have the 'two' piece windscreen or the single. (not sure why it's called the 'two' piece as it's one piece with an aluminium strip drilled down the middle)

I'm in the process of changing front windscreens and loosing the middle strip which of course is where the original compass was mounted.

I opted to change compass styles and go for one mounted on the dash. I did move the vent starboard a few inches so everything sat plumb. That was no issue as I had the black vinyl dash up and front windscreen out.

If no other changes, overhaul the compass.

Cheers.

I installed a SIRS compass on my old 170. I used the type that bonds to the windshield, and mounted it high in the windshield. That keeps it away from radios, etc. worked great there. Did the same with a PA 11. Same result. Also worked great.

MTV

.....I opted to change compass styles and go for one mounted on the dash. I did move the vent starboard a few inches so everything sat plumb. That was no issue as I had the black vinyl dash up and front windscreen out. ....

I had a windshield strap-mounted vertical card compass in my 180.
Wanted to move it to an empty hole in the panel to clean things up.
Tried several location on the panel,
couldn't find one where it didn't get jiggy when you turned on the master, radios, lights etc.
And each electrical switch changed the jigginess.
In the process, I over-adjusted it and stripped the screws or something so adjustments didn't do anything anymore.
So I bought a whiskey compass, tried mounting it lower than before on the windshield strap--
again, to clean things up a little.
Looked great, but now it blocked my view out the front.
I ended up with it right where the vertical compass had been, several hours of monkeying around and about $100 later.

We went the route with a vertical card compass in the panel of our 185. Took forever to get it even somewhat useable. Finally used some "mu-metal" on the wiring harness to simmer it down, but even then it never got dependable. Finally it left and we went to a SIRS compass, mounted back up in the windshield and loved it!! The next guy that bought the airplane said the same thing.
Since then, I've installed about half a dozen of them and every one has been a happy customer.
John

I replaced my whiskey compass with a vertical card a couple of years back when I needed to replace the windshield.
Fantastic is the word. It acts like a DG and will never go back either.

All
Purchased the Siris compass... nice kit. The old compass appears to mounted to the center support strap by a bolt and a rivet? Is that an optical illusion or really true and thus needing drilling to remove the standard compass from its factory mounted position. Thoughts appreciated.
Regards,
Bill

Back