• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

S16 Copalis Beach airport closed!!

hotrod180

FRIEND
Port Townsend, WA
S16 Copalis Beach airport is a cool place, allegedly the only official beach airport in the US (??),
and also allegedly the only place in WA where it's legal to land on a beach.
What with the nice wx we've been enjoying, and the unexpected time off work for many, it's been getting some use.
WS-DOT Aviation Division just closed it, citing the CV crisis, here's the notam.

[FONT=&quot]!SEA 04/088 S16 AD AP CLSD EXC EMERG 2004142331-2005042359

[/FONT]
I just emailed the state aviation guy in charge of this airport, Paul Wolf, to bitch about it.
If enough others do the same, maybe they'll rescind the closure -- doubtful, but possible.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/aviation/AllStateAirports/CopalisBeach_CopalisState.htm

Is this something that the RAF can help with? Might be worth a call to your local liaison. They were a big help in Maine with fighting to keep a few local airfields open.

Larry.

Update: I just received the following prompt, polite and explanatory reply from Mr. Fleckenstein, Washington Aviation Director. I don't really agree with the reasoning, because the cited event is not unique to that airport. But here it is.

"I appreciate your email and input. The decision to temporarily close Copalis Beach State Airport follows a recent incident with a stuck aircraft that required Park rangers, a towing company and others to attend to the pilot’s needs. While we value it as both a public facility and a landing area, we need to be attentive to the impacts caused by the recent incident and possibly others. This is coupled by the fact that the adjacent park is closed. Hence, as an overabundance of caution, we will keep Copalis closed until the situation in WA State improves. Given that there are signs of recovery, I anticipate the closure will be short in duration.We will update the NOTAM to include additional information. I am sorry for the inconvenience as I know this is some great weather for flying."

Update: I just received the following prompt, polite and explanatory reply from Mr. Fleckenstein, Washington Aviation Director. I don't really agree with the reasoning, because the cited event is not unique to that airport. But here it is.

"I appreciate your email and input. The decision to temporarily close Copalis Beach State Airport follows a recent incident with a stuck aircraft that required Park rangers, a towing company and others to attend to the pilot’s needs. While we value it as both a public facility and a landing area, we need to be attentive to the impacts caused by the recent incident and possibly others. This is coupled by the fact that the adjacent park is closed. Hence, as an overabundance of caution, we will keep Copalis closed until the situation in WA State improves. Given that there are signs of recovery, I anticipate the closure will be short in duration.We will update the NOTAM to include additional information. I am sorry for the inconvenience as I know this is some great weather for flying."

I wonder if this is a one off or if this is an official policy that impacts all of our state airports.

One off. I emailed the following, in response to his first reply:

"David, Thank you for your prompt and courteous reply. I would offer that the reasoning might be faulty, because incidents requiring assistance aren't unique to Copalis. However that isn't an implicit suggestion to close other airports - ha!"

And he replied: "Gordon, Your point is well taken. Thanks and Stay Healthy,"

My opinion; a knee jerk, faulty reaction that didn't receive much thought.

Are they closing roads due to accidents?

Glad I live here. Our local assembly just put a halt to the bureaucrats attempt to ratchet down the restrictions.

Another funny one was denying the staff from buying 100k of 'emergency' food lest our food barges don't come. One assembly member stated "we live in a grocery store."

Yup, Would take us a couple weeks just to eat all the Bald Eagles around here, much less the fish, moose and other stuff.

Stay safe all!

I got the exact same response, word for word, from Paul Wolf.
I don't agree &I don't like it, but I get it.
I guess we can do without that one airport for a while,
we're probably lucky they haven't tried to shut down all GA flying.

I got the exact same response, word for word, from Paul Wolf.
I don't agree &I don't like it, but I get it.
I guess we can do without that one airport for a while,
we're probably lucky they haven't tried to shut down all GA flying.

My glider club has shutdown the tow planes. Put a tow hitch on your 180? ;)

Back