• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baumann Floats for Taylorcraft

EdH

Alaska
Hi everyone...

I’ve been looking to get floats for my BCS12D-4-85 for a while. Found some Baumann 1420s and the rigging is unknown, but is suspected to be from a Tcraft. Does anyone have any pics of the front mounts or dimensions of the struts? Even some Baumann front mounts for other planes might help narrow it down. Also, would anyone know where I could find the drawings and assembly/parts diagram for them?

Thanks!

029861d7f8166ab93331a614.jpg

The picture two post up of the red and cream t-craft is me how cool. N43336 has an 0200 in it and those floats are Baumann 1420. I took them off and installed the 1500 amphibious floats but never got them certified. I probably would still own the plane if I had kept the 1420’s. You won’t find a better floatplane for the money than a tcraft on those floats. I actually in the end had edo1320’s back on it when I sold it. Night and day difference at gross weight.

The picture two post up of the red and cream t-craft is me how cool. N43336 has an 0200 in it and those floats are Baumann 1420. I took them off and installed the 1500 amphibious floats but never got them certified. I probably would still own the plane if I had kept the 1420’s. You won’t find a better floatplane for the money than a tcraft on those floats. I actually in the end had edo1320’s back on it when I sold it. Night and day difference at gross weight.

I did a DER approval for an F21 with the Bayman. 1500 amphibious floats. Feedback from the owner was positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DGA those amphibious floats where mine that I sold to someone in Illinois who then sold them to the guy you worked with. I should have tried to find a DER and done it. However the floats were worth more than the plane! Only thing in aviation I made money selling was those floats.

Yep, I got those floats on. Been to the end of N. America twice with them. Putting them on for the season in a couple of weeks. 95mph on floats and off the water in 10 sec. Thanks again Dave.

Jim

I tried calling the new STC holder, Basler Turbo Conversions, even though I’ve read they will be no help. No answer and I can’t leave a message. I also talked to Joe Birkemeyer hoping he may still have something to do with the STC. He doesn’t, and said it’s probably no use to go the Basler route. He was great to chat with though. He said the 1420s have different rigging than the 1500s, so that is good to know. I’d hoped he would still have copies of the drawings and installation manuals, but he doesn’t. Funny thing, he gave me a number for a Dan Gervae as he might have some more info, but the number didn’t work, so then I hop back on this thread and who do I see posted above!

Anyway, it’s looking like the STC is a no go (thanks Basler!), so the only option would be a field approval and I’d imagine I need at least some kind of technical info. If someone has the drawings and install manual that would be appreciated. Heck, even a copy of a 337 that didn’t use the STC would be great. I’d like to pursue the floats, but not if I’m going to get buried in bureaucracy.

You will not get anything from Basler unless you want to buy the whole product line for $500,000. I know from experience. There should be a copy of the STC from some one on here. I may have one for 1500s but not 1420s. I will look and send you the dimensions and pics this weekend.

Jim

E9CB92DF-9FAD-43AC-B36A-E07F5527F903.jpg
29A220FF-A1B1-4DF7-873B-731E37F421F7.jpg
C4A79BF4-D76C-49E9-B5AE-0D2F694FF3C6.jpg
Center hole to center hole measurements shown

Attachments

• E9CB92DF-9FAD-43AC-B36A-E07F5527F903.jpg
    E9CB92DF-9FAD-43AC-B36A-E07F5527F903.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 842
  • 1BD5CF9D-7453-4C4A-9ACB-4FB72B6C21D4.jpg
    1BD5CF9D-7453-4C4A-9ACB-4FB72B6C21D4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 29A220FF-A1B1-4DF7-873B-731E37F421F7.jpg
    29A220FF-A1B1-4DF7-873B-731E37F421F7.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 327
  • C4A79BF4-D76C-49E9-B5AE-0D2F694FF3C6.jpg
    C4A79BF4-D76C-49E9-B5AE-0D2F694FF3C6.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 270
When I get back to my office...(working from home) I can pull the STC and whatever I have from my files and get it to you...there isn’t much though...mostly just the STC. I was given no drawings

Thanks Dan, that’ll sure help in the IDing of the rigging. The front mount bracket looks the same, so that’s good. My buddy should be going to measure them this weekend, so I’ll pass him your pics.

Oh crap. Glad you said that. Joe Birkemeyer said the rigging for 1420s and 1500s is different.

Some of this may help especially the float deck angle. Remember the Taylorcraft wing incidence is +3.8* over fuselage C/L. The 3.5* mentioned may be for a PA-11 which has Piper's ~+2* (IIRC).

Gary

Attachments

• 1420 Floats.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 351
Hi everyone...

I’ve been looking to get floats for my BCS12D-4-85 for a while. Found some Baumann 1420s and the rigging is unknown, ....
Thanks!
Don't let those floats get away. Baumann made some nice floats and they are no longer being built. Their value will hold. You can figure out how to install them later.

I’ve got drawings and paperwork including STC. If I remember correctly, the STC covers 1500 and 1420’s. If you end up short paperwork let me know and I’ll dig mine out- it’s at my IA’s house.

Another rough estimate of strut length...blow up the pics and scale each length to the known strut width. Dan's #13 pics are good. If all else fails I can find a local and measure.

Gary

Thanks again all.

I’ve got drawings and paperwork including STC. If I remember correctly, the STC covers 1500 and 1420’s. If you end up short paperwork let me know and I’ll dig mine out- it’s at my IA’s house.

The drawings would be awesome. I’m talking to my IA back home, and he says that without the drawings, there is not much we can do.

Ok. Give me a couple of days. I’ve been able to make full size copies at the FedEx store, so hopefully I can still do it.

When I get back to my office...(working from home) I can pull the STC and whatever I have from my files and get it to you...there isn’t much though...mostly just the STC. I was given no drawings

Dan,
When I did the approval for the 1500 amphibious for Jim, we used the same rigging as the 1500 straight floats. Jim should have the drawings for the 1500s.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rigging for the 1500 straights and amphib was the same. I should have drawings for both but they are plan and side views and BOM but no rigging dimensions.

Jim

If you look closely when Baumann removed the 1420’s from my plane and installed the 1500A you can see the rigging back to the rudder is different. I sold the 1420’s to the mechanic who bought my precious t-craft I can look up the old n number tomorrow and you can track down the current owner or try the owner of N43336 and see if the still have the drawings and stc

I would definitely be best for you to find that Tcraft with the 1400’s Joe B had to completely recertifications the Tcraft when they made the 1500’s (he used my plane to do it ). I can help you in any way I can as far as relevant similarities go...my plane is right outside my door if you need other pictures.

I'm confused about the differences between the 1420 and 1500's. Can someone explain? Why were two models produced?

Gary

Back