• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baumann Floats for Taylorcraft

Thanks for the replies,
The shortcomings of the 1320's are the single water rudder coupled with lower displacement on windy days. The extra cleats would be handy at the dock on the aft float. The flat decks would have no caps to trip across. The locker would be great for carrying some overnight stuff in a waterproof bag.

I have a quote of 9200 usd to rebuild a set of 1320's exactly like BF1500's. My rigging is all J3 rigging, I've spent alot of money on ball joints/wirepulls/bracewires a few years back.

I would also need to buy some used beat up 1320 barrels in USA and get them here to Ireland. So that would probably make it more like 13500 USD for this project. How close would 13500 get to a set of used BF1500's or Aqua 1500's?
Irish, I suggest that you contact Eddie Peck in Nova Scotia. https://peckaero.ca Eddie has been building and modifying "EDO" :wink: floats for years. He's very knowledgeable of the subject and could very likely come up with something to meet your needs.

Tell him his half a$$ed cousin in Massachusetts says hello.

Gary, those PK 1500s on Alaskaslist have probably been sold for years. Alaskaslist sucks. That website makes it very hard to delete ads so they end up on there forever. I wish a website with a name like that was better managed.

Irish, for the price you quoted, I’d do that in a heartbeat. By the time you find Baumanns and get them shipped to you you’ll probably be over your cost for your “new” upgraded 1320s.

Allso, have you looked at any of the experimental float manufacturers? I don’t know anything about them, but there are several.

Just revisiting this post, because I have recently acquired a set of Baumann 1420s to go on my PA-11. Did anyone ever come across the drawings and installation manual for the 1420s? I emailed the STC holder and they have indicated $1000 is the going rate for that paperwork.

The rigging on these floats is for a PA-11, but the rear attachments on the original PA-11 were the non-pma'd Wag Aero weld on rear attachments, which appear to be very similar to the EDO 1320 bolt on fittings. The on-field mechanic I will likely work with on this installation has expressed concerns about using the Wag Aero fittings as I would like this setup to be certificated for future flight instruction one day.

So, do I go with the Wag Aero attachments and a field approval process?

Do I go with the bolt on Edo1320 fittings and a field approval process?

Or, is it possible to use the STC'd Atlee Dodge rear Weld-on fittings and block the rear struts to attach to the fittings? This will also require field approval and modification of the rear struts so I am not too excited about this option.

Lastly, do I just purchase the paperwork for $1000 from the STC holder and then wait and see what that says?

Does anyone know the appropriate rear fittings that are identified in the STC/installation manual for Baumann 1420s?

I appreciate your thoughts!

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/b5c4d9cd3b604d8486257058004e5442/$FILE/SA36CH.pdf

Last edited:
Just revisiting this post, because I have recently acquired a set of Baumann 1420s to go on my PA-11. Did anyone ever come across the drawings and installation manual for the 1420s? I emailed the STC holder and they have indicated $1000 is the going rate for that paperwork.

The rigging on these floats is for a PA-11, but the rear attachments on the original PA-11 were the non-pma'd Wag Aero weld on rear attachments, which appear to be very similar to the EDO 1320 bolt on fittings. The on-field mechanic I will likely work with on this installation has expressed concerns about using the Wag Aero fittings as I would like this setup to be certificated for future flight instruction one day.

So, do I go with the Wag Aero attachments and a field approval process?

Do I go with the bolt on Edo1320 fittings and a field approval process?

Or, is it possible to use the STC'd Atlee Dodge rear Weld-on fittings and block the rear struts to attach to the fittings? This will also require field approval and modification of the rear struts so I am not too excited about this option.

Lastly, do I just purchase the paperwork for $1000 from the STC holder and then wait and see what that says?

Does anyone know the appropriate rear fittings that are identified in the STC/installation manual for Baumann 1420s?

I appreciate your thoughts!

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/b5c4d9cd3b604d8486257058004e5442/$FILE/SA36CH.pdf

Check your PM

Glenn

$1000! That’s a bit high for a piece of paper that they don’t provide support for. At least they answered you, they completely ignored me.

$1000! That’s a bit high for a piece of paper that they don’t provide support for. At least they answered you, they completely ignored me.

It was the same for edo 339 anfibs, and it was a photo copy of a photo copy that you can hardly read. Kenmore has the drawings though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last set of installation drawings I had to get from Kenmore that weren’t on their web site were less than $200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand in my conversations that it is not too uncommon to pay upwards of $1000 for the registered STC/Install Drawings and Packet/etc. For the LSA market, that definitely feels pretty steep though. Regardless, Basler has been very helpful to me. I submitted my request through their website and it went from there...

Back