• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

“A” Model flat deck

Both are on the same type certificate. I have a regular fuselage on a PA18A cub, at best I think logbook says fuselage replaced with new one. HOWEVER!!! It all depends on who is going to sign off the annual!! Very easy to get yourself into a pickle depending on what part of the country and who the IA is. It is not just the little upper baggage stuff that is different, top deck tubes change!! Are you going to do L21 glass?? Where do you live? Have you asked your IA? I would say this would be a great test to see if you are going to have issues down the road with minor vs major modifications.
DENNY

I didn’t realize that they were both on the same TC. This is my first SC project. I will be the one signing it off. I have considered the L21 glass but haven’t really decided on that yet. I never realized how many different mods/STCs there were to consider. I can see now that there may be as many hours in research as there is actually rebuilding.
Thanks for your input.

But are you going to keep it!!! Send it down the road and it may have problems. I get in contact with Steve pierce if he has the time, One hour on the phone at his shop rate is at least 10-20 times what you pay for it.
DENNY

But are you going to keep it!!! Send it down the road and it may have problems. I get in contact with Steve pierce if he has the time, One hour on the phone at his shop rate is at least 10-20 times what you pay for it.
DENNY

This is excellent advice.

Both are on the same type certificate. ....
DENNY
Be careful, there are two type certificates. 1A2 and AR-7. I believe that the appropriate one is stamped on the data plate. I do remember working on an AR-7 airplane which had the regular common fuselage. I thought it strange, but chose to ignore that detail. At the time I didn't know whether that was the correct decision or not. A friend owned the airplane, it kept him flying, he later sold it, I never heard from it again. Right or wrong, it is gone now.

Interesting to note that Dakota Cub replacement fuselage is STC’d for the A model but Airframes is not.

There are a number of “A’s” with traditional upper fuselages. The biggest issue you need to resolve paperwork wise is the hopper cover requirement (forget where it is listed, perhaps the flight manual).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great info. The hopper door was previously removed and a X brace installed in its place but no paperwork. I am going to look at this Flanagan STC.
Thanks!!!

The last one I saw done was on a Field Approval, just referencing the PA-18 drawings. If you want to pull the FAA records, it’s N7067D. It had a restricted certificate, and last fall I issued a standard on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought my dream plane last September, a 1955 A model... The Flanagan STC is what sold me on the A's... It just looks so unique. All this talk make me want to rebuild sooner rather than later!

Atlee did the hopper door on my ‘53 A model. If someone wants I’ll try to post the drawings.
I thought he had an STC for it....but there’s so much paperwork on these things I can’t remember.
I do like the way the A models fly.

Last edited:
I just bought an 1954 A model and am planning to do the Flanagan STC as well.............good info here.

Attachments

• a model cub paperwork.pdf
    120.2 KB · Views: 192
    120.2 KB · Views: 198
    120.2 KB · Views: 182
  • hopper cover drawing.pdf
    125.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Back