Thread: “A” Model flat deck

Post Thanks / Like

“A” Model flat deck

I just bought a PA18A project. Has anyone installed the arched rear deck on an AModel and if so what are the legalities?

Post Thanks / Like
    Both are on the same type certificate. I have a regular fuselage on a PA18A cub, at best I think logbook says fuselage replaced with new one. HOWEVER!!! It all depends on who is going to sign off the annual!! Very easy to get yourself into a pickle depending on what part of the country and who the IA is. It is not just the little upper baggage stuff that is different, top deck tubes change!! Are you going to do L21 glass?? Where do you live? Have you asked your IA? I would say this would be a great test to see if you are going to have issues down the road with minor vs major modifications.
    DENNY
    Likes supercrow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A models fly better

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn’t realize that they were both on the same TC. This is my first SC project. I will be the one signing it off. I have considered the L21 glass but haven’t really decided on that yet. I never realized how many different mods/STCs there were to consider. I can see now that there may be as many hours in research as there is actually rebuilding.
    Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    But are you going to keep it!!! Send it down the road and it may have problems. I get in contact with Steve pierce if he has the time, One hour on the phone at his shop rate is at least 10-20 times what you pay for it.
    DENNY
    Likes SJ, cubpilot2, Mattpeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    But are you going to keep it!!! Send it down the road and it may have problems. I get in contact with Steve pierce if he has the time, One hour on the phone at his shop rate is at least 10-20 times what you pay for it.
    DENNY
    This is excellent advice.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes Mattpeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    A models fly better

Gary
    And look better

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks vj88 thanked for this post
    Likes cubpilot2, WWhunter, Mattpeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    Both are on the same type certificate. ....
    DENNY
    Be careful, there are two type certificates. 1A2 and AR-7. I believe that the appropriate one is stamped on the data plate. I do remember working on an AR-7 airplane which had the regular common fuselage. I thought it strange, but chose to ignore that detail. At the time I didn't know whether that was the correct decision or not. A friend owned the airplane, it kept him flying, he later sold it, I never heard from it again. Right or wrong, it is gone now.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    We are rebuilding an A model fuselage right now. Installing the Flanagon STC which puts a V structure in the hopper opening and the L21 style glass retaining the flat back rear deck. Here is a thread with some pictures. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...9-PA-18A-parts
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Mattpeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    1st thing I would do if find out what you’ve got left of the original A-model fuselage, you might be surprised at how many tubes need to be replaced after sandblasting it might be better to just buy a new replacement and get what you want. I’ve done a couple A-Model restorations over the years and have another one to start on soon but have never thought of changing it to a standard fuselage unless it needed to be replaced, matter of fact I had a new fuselage here and rebuilt the old A-Model because that’s what I wanted and was way more work. Changing an A-model is kind of like chopping up a PA-18-95 and making it into a 150 they only made so many of them and it sucks to see someone take away a unique plane just to make it like the rest of the 10,000 regular cubs they made, Hell I’d trade a regular cub project for an A-model any day of the week.
    Likes cubdriver2, WWhunter, MainlandCub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve make sure you get the Vee in the right direction, saw one rebuild in Montana that had it installed backwards and they didn’t seem to concerned when I mentioned it to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting to note that Dakota Cub replacement fuselage is STC’d for the A model but Airframes is not.
    PA-12 N418BS

Post Thanks / Like
    So is Univair’s, I talked to my FISDO about getting a field approval for the change on Airframes Alaska fuselage and they said it’s no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a number of “A’s” with traditional upper fuselages. The biggest issue you need to resolve paperwork wise is the hopper cover requirement (forget where it is listed, perhaps the flight manual).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great info. The hopper door was previously removed and a X brace installed in its place but no paperwork. I am going to look at this Flanagan STC.
    Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

“A” Model flat deck

The last one I saw done was on a Field Approval, just referencing the PA-18 drawings. If you want to pull the FAA records, it’s N7067D. It had a restricted certificate, and last fall I issued a standard on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks will do��

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-22/20-160 View Post
    Hey Steve make sure you get the Vee in the right direction, saw one rebuild in Montana that had it installed backwards and they didn’t seem to concerned when I mentioned it to them.
    Yea, it is hard to tell from the drawing.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my dream plane last September, a 1955 A model... The Flanagan STC is what sold me on the A's... It just looks so unique. All this talk make me want to rebuild sooner rather than later!

Post Thanks / Like
    Atlee did the hopper door on my ‘53 A model. If someone wants I’ll try to post the drawings.
    I thought he had an STC for it....but there’s so much paperwork on these things I can’t remember.
    I do like the way the A models fly.
    Last edited by md11freighter; 04-19-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you post the drawing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought an 1954 A model and am planning to do the Flanagan STC as well.............good info here.
    Matt
    Likes cubpilot2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the drawing for my hopper being covered by Atlee.a model cub paperwork.pdfhopper cover drawing.pdf

I guess I really am that tech un-savvy. I tried to attach a couple different scans.
    If someone wants a copy...PM me your address and I will just mail a copy to you.

Brett
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by md11freighter; 06-02-2020 at 10:15 AM.