• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rear stick seems short

sdischer

ATP, CFII, A&P
COLLEGE STATION, TX
OK, I know that I am totally opening myself up for ridicule here but today for the first time I flew from the back seat. I should feel at home owning a J3 for more than 30 years but I have to say, the stick seems incredibly short. I don’t know if someone cut it off to make it more comfortable for passengers or if this is how it came from the factory. I would say it is no more then Half the size of the front stick in length. Maybe a little more than half but nevertheless it takes a heavy hand compared to the front stick in the PA-18 and not nearly as long as the rear stick in a J3. Does anyone know if this is normal or has someone shortened this thing?

Lengthen it as you wish, up to the point that it hits the back of the pilot seat in full down elevator position. That is usually the limiting factor. Maybe the front seat was modified and required the short stick?

What year model? A lot of the Super Cubs had a shorter stick in the back seat from the factory but it wasn't half the length, maybe a few inches. They started putting those rear sticks in the front in the late 70s and I can tell as soon as I fly it by the heavier feel on the controls.

This is a 1959 model. Here is the photo.

IMG_5411 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5411 (1).jpg
    IMG_5411 (1).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Someone cut that off and turned it around. Here is the front and rear stick side by side, -2 and -3.
IMG_20200416_162009.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_162009.jpg
    IMG_20200416_162009.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Anything can be built but I have seen some piss poor atemps. Kinked tubes to get the bend etc. In the grand scheme of things it is what it is.

Anything can be built but I have seen some piss poor atemps. Kinked tubes to get the bend etc. In the grand scheme of things it is what it is.
True, I've seen fatal accidents which were caused by a welded aluminum stick breaking at the weld. It all depends on who and what.

Ummmm, as airplane part$$ go, $157 is like REALLY cheap.

Once again, I’m reminded of the old saying: The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.

MTV

With the normal lenght Cub stick and the seat all the way back, I was always leaning forward to hold it. (6') Always seams tooo low as well. Decided to simply try a Champ stick with it's huge offset and taller dimensions. Not needed if your vertically challenged! Or fly around with seat all way forward.
Here is the direct comparison, now my back is directly in full contact with the vertical cushion, stick is up where it should be for comfort on an extended flight. Much nicer for us! Noticeable reduction of felt control pressures! Like power steering! Lol.
EScreenshot_20200601-123703.jpeg

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200601-123703.jpeg
    Screenshot_20200601-123703.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
With the normal lenght Cub stick and the seat all the way back, I was always leaning forward to hold it. (6') Always seams tooo low as well. Decided to simply try a Champ stick with it's huge offset and taller dimensions. Not needed if your vertically challenged! Or fly around with seat all way forward.
Here is the direct comparison, now my back is directly in full contact with the vertical cushion, stick is up where it should be for comfort on an extended flight. Much nicer for us! Noticeable reduction of felt control pressures! Like power steering! Lol.
EView attachment 49186

Stick shape reminds me of an Alfred Hitchcock movie

Glenn

Last edited:
Guys that built Turnbulls 12 came up with almost same offset as the Champ stick via lots of welding of short pieces. Sorta similar end results.IMG_1698_01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1698_01.jpeg
    IMG_1698_01.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 200
IMG_4405.JPG

They say 9 out of 10 prefer a curved stick.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Attachments

• IMG_4405.JPG
    IMG_4405.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 175
Thinking of having a friend bend up some as a direct replacement for the Cub stick socket. Anyone 6 ft or more might want to consider this mod. Cheers
E

Thinking of having a friend bend up some as a direct replacement for the Cub stick socket. Anyone 6 ft or more might want to consider this mod. Cheers
E
Keep in mind that if you change the length of the stick, you will change the control forces. There is a possibility that this could raise an FAA approval issue.

Lol,
I bet your right Pete, in this world we are flying in now, changing a PK screw without some sorta approval, will soon become some sort of Federal crime.
And since they all come with the standard
$ 250,000 fine and 6 months in prison.
Welcome to the "new" USA.

I see all kinds of cobbled together sticks. The original long stick in the Super Cub has always felt perfect for me. I take it this is an issue with the PA12?

Earle,
Every time I see a modified/welded stick such as this, I get the willies. Back in 1962 I was sent by my boss to help the NTSB in a fatal Stearman accident investigation. The stick had a "V" cut out of it so that it would clear the chemical hopper and had been welded. The weld peeled back so that the pilot could not raise the nose and went into the trees. Granted the stick was made of aluminum and not steel, but still I would like to see at least some finger patches over each welded joint. Also at that time, welding was done by gas and not the nice equipment available today. But still, when I see things like your picture I get the vision of that Stearman wreck.

I'm sure that the welder of that stick must be comfortable with his work, but at the very least there should be a finger patch on that bottom joint where the loads are the highest.

I agree with you compleatly Pete! I am going to have a friend bend some new 4130 tubing with sand, the same as the prototype we did up. Then heat treat them.
Got 1/2 dozen guys interested in trying one.
Just a silly little up grade, and I am sure lots of guys would be satisfied with a Phillips screwdriver shoved into the socket,
But we just wanted something different.
To each his own
E

Steve P,
The welded stick is in a 12, however I was referencing my 18 and the orientation of a short 18 stick when the seat is all the way back , it has me arching my back off the seat back and tipping my head downward to hold the stick.......... I have flown them with both Piper sticks this way for 45 years; but decided to try an old Champ stick that was laying around....
Had to cut it down twice to get height about right, had to bend it twice to get the angle perfect. It is an improvement imho,
Your mileage may very......
E

Last edited:
Just snag a Bell 206 cyclic........

5CAD3F0F-9E79-4BDD-A193-91C5582D1737.jpg

Attachments

• 5CAD3F0F-9E79-4BDD-A193-91C5582D1737.jpg
    5CAD3F0F-9E79-4BDD-A193-91C5582D1737.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 157
Back