• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Troubleshooting a strobe

sdischer

ATP, CFII, A&P
COLLEGE STATION, TX
1. Can you help me identify this strobe model number?

IMG_5361.jpgIMG_5360.jpg

2. Short of swapping the bulb side to side (I may drop it and then need 2 bulbs, lol) is there any way to troubleshoot the power supply? Assuming I have voltage and ground to the supply but I will confirm.

Attachments

• IMG_5361.jpg
    IMG_5361.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5360.jpg
    IMG_5360.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 183
Let me know how you make out, I think I have a couple of those flash tubes and a power supply from when I switched to LED’s..

Let me know how you make out, I think I have a couple of those flash tubes and a power supply from when I switched to LED’s..

I wouldn't mind having spares. How much do you want for them?

Let me check the part numbers tomorrow and make sure they’re what you need. Just the freight charge and I’ll be happy to send them to a good home.

Let me check the part numbers tomorrow and make sure they’re what you need. Just the freight charge and I’ll be happy to send them to a good home.

That is very kind of you. I can even send a UPS prepaid label. I will check my numbers as well and get back to you.

For the strobe: locate the power supply. If it is the type where all strobes connect to one supply, unplug all strobes that still function. Then turn on the strobe system and listen for a 'pop and whine' from the power supply. If you hear a strong pop/whine, it's usually the strobe. No noise = bad power supply. Same for the strobes system that operates with one power supply for each strobe, just nothing to unplug first. Like it or not, plugging in a known good strobe tube is usually the only way to verify issues.

And, as stated above, the best, long term, solution is to remove the existing navs and strobes and install LED nav/strobe units. Cheaper to maintain, smaller wires to power, less weight, and less noise in the headsets.

Web

For the strobe: locate the power supply. If it is the type where all strobes connect to one supply, unplug all strobes that still function. Then turn on the strobe system and listen for a 'pop and whine' from the power supply. If you hear a strong pop/whine, it's usually the strobe. No noise = bad power supply. Same for the strobes system that operates with one power supply for each strobe, just nothing to unplug first. Like it or not, plugging in a known good strobe tube is usually the only way to verify issues.

And, as stated above, the best, long term, solution is to remove the existing navs and strobes and install LED nav/strobe units. Cheaper to maintain, smaller wires to power, less weight, and less noise in the headsets.

Web
silly question but does anyone know where the power supply is? I was assuming inside the wing with a convenient inspection plate but having pulled the inspection covers I do not see it.

It could be anywhere. Look for the big gray cables and follow them. Do you know if you have the single power supply for all, or the power supply for each strobe? Single power supply is usually in the baggage area. The individual power supplies are usually within a couple of feet of the strobe.

Web

In a quiet hanger, turn on the battery and the strobes. If the power supply(ies) work at all, you'll hear them. Locate them by sound.

Web

Attachments

• 99D96790-F9B8-437A-AC48-D6BBAAC1B660.jpeg
    99D96790-F9B8-437A-AC48-D6BBAAC1B660.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 1EB7B516-F068-4D82-AABC-69F5179634AD.jpeg
    1EB7B516-F068-4D82-AABC-69F5179634AD.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 13B62D37-6EEB-46EC-BC2A-9F361EFE7758.jpeg
    13B62D37-6EEB-46EC-BC2A-9F361EFE7758.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 150

Yes sir I will take it all. I can send a UPS label to you on Monday via PDF, you print it out and place on the box. I can arrange a pickup or you can drop it at a UPS store. What is your email address for the label? Also thank you very much, this is very kind of you and will keep me working for a few more years until I am ready to upgrade to LED's.

After way too much consternation and hand wringing, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the LED's. Thank you again for the offer, maybe someone else can use them.

Another note with strobe power supplies, if the unit is only a few years old, Whelen will want as much to rebuild it as a new one costs.

It's really a shame that Aeroflash went bust, IMHO their strobes were a cost-effective alternative to Whelen.

It's really a shame that Aeroflash went bust, IMHO their strobes were a cost-effective alternative to Whelen.
Aeroflash made flash and strobe units for Cessna. The flasher on the top of the tail stopped flashing as did it's replacement. A friend had a friend who was an electrical engineer from MIT. He took both units and determined that inferior low grade parts had been used. So he replaced them with a better quality. No more troubles. Perhaps I just happened to get a bad batch? The point is that someone who knows electronics can fix them.

My point was that new Aeroflash units are no longer available.

But I'm curious as to the "inferior low grade parts" comment....inferior compared to what-- Whelen parts?

Last edited:
Aeroflash made flash and strobe units for Cessna. The flasher on the top of the tail stopped flashing as did it's replacement. A friend had a friend who was an electrical engineer from MIT. He took both units and determined that inferior low grade parts had been used. So he replaced them with a better quality. No more troubles. Perhaps I just happened to get a bad batch? The point is that someone who knows electronics can fix them.

So, is this like whisky compasses, fix it with no technical data using parts that may or may not be approved by a person not authorized to perform maintenance? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll contend those points.
- There are no CAR's or FAR's that bar me from repairing a whiskey compass. All replaceable parts are readily available and their replacement consists of simple tasks. And like any other system, the operator is responsible for checking it's operation. Again a simple task.
- If I perform a repair it's up to me to prove that I have the training/experience to perform that task, if questioned by the feds. AND, I can legally perform repairs with basic items that are equal to or greater than the quality of the original items. In the case of the flash units, this usually consists of replacing the power transistors. This is no different than performing an airframe repair with a type of metal or style of rivet that was not available when the aircraft was built. As for the transistors, I have been down that path with more than one fed, over the transistors used in the panel light dimmer in the Cessnas. I buy them as transistors (2N3055), NOT as Cessna parts.

Web

- There are no CAR's or FAR's that bar me from repairing a whiskey compass. All replaceable parts are readily available and their replacement consists of simple tasks. And like any other system, the operator is responsible for checking it's operation. Again a simple task.
- If I perform a repair it's up to me to prove that I have the training/experience to perform that task, if questioned by the feds. AND, I can legally perform repairs with basic items that are equal to or greater than the quality of the original items. In the case of the flash units, this usually consists of replacing the power transistors. This is no different than performing an airframe repair with a type of metal or style of rivet that was not available when the aircraft was built. As for the transistors, I have been down that path with more than one fed, over the transistors used in the panel light dimmer in the Cessnas. I buy them as transistors (2N3055), NOT as Cessna parts.

Web

One of our mechanics lost his ticket for a while from redoing a compass and logging it. Considered instrument overhaul..... FYI..... your FAA May very....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Web

Maybe you better read 65.81. The only entity authorized to make ANY repairs to an instrument is a a repair Station. 65.81 specifically excludes instrument repairs from mechanics.

43.13 requires you to use instructions provided by the manufacturer or practices “acceptable” to the administrator. I haven’t seen any documents beyond manufacturers manuals, ACs, or repair station repair specifications that have been determined to be acceptable to go into a box and change electronic components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll still argue that. Part 65.85 (a) states that a mechanic may return an airframe, or any related part or appliance, to service, after he has performed maintenance or inspection.

FAR 1.1 defines 'Appliance' as 'any instrument, mechanism, equipment, part, apparatus, appurtenance, or accessory, including communications equipment, that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, engine, or propeller'.

As far as replacing transistors, it's a simple task. It's removal and replacing an item using standard shop practices not performing modifications or any operations that require testing beyond an operational check. I'll give you that it's not to the strictest adherence to the regs, but are you going to tell me that every single maintenance function you have performed on an aircraft has been with a book setting next to you? I.e., if you are going to perform a simple sheet metal repair, you don't go running for a structural manual.

As for the guy Mike referenced, I don't know the back story. The fed may have been having a excremental day and needed to work out some stress?

I've done a slug of compasses, logged them in, and intend on continuing. We're all big boys here, read the regs and make up your own mind.

Web

By the way 1.1 defines 'Instrument' as 'a device using an internal mechanism to show visually or aurally the attitude, altitude, or operation of an aircraft or aircraft part. It includes electronic devices for automatically controlling an aircraft in flight'.

Last edited:
Back