• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Troubleshooting a strobe

I'll still argue that. Part 65.85 (a) states that a mechanic may return an airframe, or any related part or appliance, to service, after he has performed maintenance or inspection.

FAR 1.1 defines 'Appliance' as 'any instrument, mechanism, equipment, part, apparatus, appurtenance, or accessory, including communications equipment, that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, engine, or propeller'.

As far as replacing transistors, it's a simple task. It's removal and replacing an item using standard shop practices not performing modifications or any operations that require testing beyond an operational check. I'll give you that it's not to the strictest adherence to the regs, but are you going to tell me that every single maintenance function you have performed on an aircraft has been with a book setting next to you? I.e., if you are going to perform a simple sheet metal repair, you don't go running for a structural manual.

As for the guy Mike referenced, I don't know the back story. The fed may have been having a excremental day and needed to work out some stress?

I've done a slug of compasses, logged them in, and intend on continuing. We're all big boys here, read the regs and make up your own mind.

Web

By the way 1.1 defines 'Instrument' as 'a device using an internal mechanism to show visually or aurally the attitude, altitude, or operation of an aircraft or aircraft part. It includes electronic devices for automatically controlling an aircraft in flight'.

I hear what you are saying related to Appliance, but historically FAA has taken the limitation in 65.81 (but excluding major repairs to, and major alterations of, propellers, and any repair to, or alteration of, instruments) to limit what a mechanic cane do, and reserve those items to Repair Stations.

65.81 provides what any mechanic can do, and provides the limitation above, 65.85 further defines the scope of an airframe rating, and 65.87 further defines the scope of a power plant rating. 65.85 and 65.87 don’t add any additional capability beyond what 65.81 provides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe you better read 65.81. The only entity authorized to make ANY repairs to an instrument is a a repair Station. 65.81 specifically excludes instrument repairs from mechanics....

Maybe Aircraft Spruce should be prosecuted for selling compass repair kits to the general public?
IMHO the regs need to be tempered by common sense.

Maybe Aircraft Spruce should be prosecuted for selling compass repair kits to the general public?
IMHO the regs need to be tempered by common sense.

Couldn’t agree more.

Keep in mind, anyone can sell anything they want, but a mechanic can only perform functions that the regulations permit.

That said, I think the majority of mechanics that have been around a while have done their share of compass repairs, just won’t admit it.

Several years ago, there was an effort to amend Part 65, and compass repairs would have been permitted. Unfortunately there was a lot of other stuff in that proposal that would have driven costs up with no increase in safety, so due to public comments the proposal was dropped.

What is needed is people in aviation that see stupid rules to petition FAA to change the rule. If enough people petition for rule making, it can be accomplished. It’s just that most of us are to lazy to participate in the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll still argue that. Part 65.85 (a) states that a mechanic may return an airframe, or any related part or appliance, to service, after he has performed maintenance or inspection.

FAR 1.1 defines 'Appliance' as 'any instrument, mechanism, equipment, part, apparatus, appurtenance, or accessory, including communications equipment, that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, engine, or propeller'.

As far as replacing transistors, it's a simple task. It's removal and replacing an item using standard shop practices not performing modifications or any operations that require testing beyond an operational check. I'll give you that it's not to the strictest adherence to the regs, but are you going to tell me that every single maintenance function you have performed on an aircraft has been with a book setting next to you? I.e., if you are going to perform a simple sheet metal repair, you don't go running for a structural manual.

As for the guy Mike referenced, I don't know the back story. The fed may have been having a excremental day and needed to work out some stress?

I've done a slug of compasses, logged them in, and intend on continuing. We're all big boys here, read the regs and make up your own mind.

Web

By the way 1.1 defines 'Instrument' as 'a device using an internal mechanism to show visually or aurally the attitude, altitude, or operation of an aircraft or aircraft part. It includes electronic devices for automatically controlling an aircraft in flight'.

You can sign off the replacement of soldered components per Mil-Std-2000a

.....What is needed is people in aviation that see stupid rules to petition FAA to change the rule. If enough people petition for rule making, it can be accomplished. It’s just that most of us are to lazy to participate in the process. ...

An expression that comes to mind is "tilting at windmills", another is "you can't fight city hall".
When a simple field approval that should take about a week (including mail time) takes 11 months,
just think about how long it would take & how hard would it be to actually change a regulation.
Most folks are just gonna skirt it if they can.

An expression that comes to mind is "tilting at windmills", another is "you can't fight city hall".
When a simple field approval that should take about a week (including mail time) takes 11 months,
just think about how long it would take & how hard would it be to actually change a regulation.
Most folks are just gonna skirt it if they can.
There's the right way, the wrong way, the FAA's way and our way. Our way keeps planes flying safely.

Back