• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alternator field breaker tripping

I don't go as deep in the weeds as you do, usually, on the design stuff, but I put spike diodes on EVERYTHING with a coil. Even little accessory relays get them. As you pointed out lots (maybe most?) installs work fine without them but for about a dime a diode, it's not worth the hassle to not put them in. Also, my view is that that spike today may not knock out your radio but repeated spikes will eventually catch up to it and shorten it's life. Or maybe just that one, unusually large spike like that 'third wave' theory?

As to fancy clamp or sensing circuits, For aircraft use, I feel that lower tech is better. You can make an extremely sensitive, fast acting circuit to protect the rest of the board, but in a fairly 'noisy' electrical environment it's just going to cause more headaches than it will prevent.

Web

I don't go as deep in the weeds as you do, usually, on the design stuff, but I put spike diodes on EVERYTHING with a coil. Even little accessory relays get them. ...
Web
That's a good idea. Every once in a great while, my old-school turn and bank will trip the OV clamp. It has its own switch.

Well it looks like the spike diodes did the trick, I installed one on the master and starter solenoid this morning (neither had one) and flew it several times today and no field breaker tripping! Why build a $100k plane and not install $10's worth of parts to make it right?? Just an over sight I guess.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions!

Dave

B and C is a good supplier of both Master Relays and Starter Relays. This photo shows their Master Contactor with its external mounted diodes.
Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 7.47.23 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 7.47.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 7.47.23 AM.png
    185 KB · Views: 214
I’ve been following this thread and had nothing to add because I knew Web and others had nailed it. I’m just smiling because I started designing circuits in the early seventies and remember drawers filled with 1N4004 diodes and the recommendation to apply them liberally to anything with a coil in it. :)

Rich.

Last edited:
When I first got to Silicon Valley they had just cut down the last apricot orchard. My co worker had put a cap across a relay coil to absorb the inductive energy(like points ignition), but it delayed the pull-in. I figured a reverse-biased diode would do the job. By the end of the week Randy was gone and I was hanging with the boss after hours. The next month I flew with Dave Kilbourne, who, 8 years prior, showed us you could make an oversized waterski kite and run down a hill (Mission Ridge, behind the Tesla plant) to launch it. Good times. Now a year goes by in a month.

Back