• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Epic “FAIL”

OLDCROWE

FRIEND
Meanwhile,...
Fairly used to hearing radar coverage lost, but this time I wasn’t low or far away and the urgency in the second half of the call for “say altitude.” So as I responded I noticed my semi-new transponder
E8323E26-16F8-4EE0-8153-7B0319D57331.jpeg

Talked to the shop that did the install, they had me reset and try again with no luck so pulled it out and took it in. They plugged it into another aircraft they were servicing with the same unit and verified it’s the unit and not something else so off to Garmin in went.

Besides wanting to know what’s in there to let go, especially in flight, does anyone have a clue how backed up Garmin is for service these days (they should have received it by Wednesday) as I need it back operational in 3 weeks for a work trip that requires Class Bravo fun.

Attachments

• E8323E26-16F8-4EE0-8153-7B0319D57331.jpeg
    E8323E26-16F8-4EE0-8153-7B0319D57331.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I can relate to your transponder misery
14781118ec8b3e6a07ae7d45364054c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re not alone, I’ve got that pain as well.

ABCECD40-F8A2-472E-A95A-FA8FA99A6609.jpeg

Attachments

• ABCECD40-F8A2-472E-A95A-FA8FA99A6609.jpeg
    ABCECD40-F8A2-472E-A95A-FA8FA99A6609.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 167
'No ADS-B Position' usually means no WAAS GPS position information. Check connections and check your GPS position source.

Web

Not yet resolved, that’s why I’m so anxious about the 180 otherwise I would take Cub.

So far we have swapped out the gps antenna to their latest unit and Trig sent me a brand new box. Plus before the install Steve had the transponder firmware updated and I’ve tried every config. combination in the setup menu all no-go. We’re down to building a new wiring harness to rule out that variable and next would be replacing the new coax and if that doesn’t fix it Trig’s not going to like my next correspondence. My gut feeling is that either Trig has a problem or possibly the installation instructions are just wrong. Steve has been all over them with many calls via Mid-Continent who is there US service center. There is strength in numbers so you’re welcome to them a call and join the party.

Last edited:
Sounds like everything I’ve done, haven’t changed the box or antenna yet. Plus side is I’m getting good at taking it out.

I'm feeding my new Trig with an iLevil 3AW, with the WAAS option. Lat/Lon displayed on the Trig but PAPR has a problem with the confidence level. the iLevil is not certified, but somehow conforming. Supposed to be ok for exp. Neither vendor has any successful configs to use. I'll have to keep flying and changing the setting A thru D(I've tried the fifth "uncertified") on Trig confidence.

Has any Trig owner passed PAPR with an uncertified source?

Oldcrowe and 'wolves; what GPS antennas are installed and what color is the coax cable connected to the antenna?

Web

Also verify that the transponder is connected to the 'Port 1' lines on the TN70. Then verify that the transmit line from each unit is connected to the receive line from the other unit . . . yes this happens more often than you think.

Web

Also verify that the transponder is connected to the 'Port 1' lines on the TN70. Then verify that the transmit line from each unit is connected to the receive line from the other unit . . . yes this happens more often than you think.

Web

Since we’re a couple hundred miles apart, Steve offered to build a new harness to rule out cross-connects, bad pins, bad juju and all other sorts of EMS maladies but had to order a little bit of stuff first and it didn’t get in before he went off the grid for a few days. I’m sure he’d jump in here when he returns to the world.

Last edited:
Check for metal to metal contact between the antenna and fairing.

Are the coax ends crimp type (preferred) or the screw together type?

Web

That style of 90º TNC connector solders the conductor inside the connector and crimps the braid to the outer shell. Should be good if assembled correctly. Check the end at the antenna also. Coaxs are usually easy to check. With both ends disconnected, there should be continuity between the outer shells of each connector, continuity from one center pin to the other center pin, but NO continuity from outer shells to center pins.

Use a bonding brush to remove paint from the fairing at each screw hole for the antenna. Install the antenna with no gasket and seal the edges after installation.

And just a point about the TNC connectors. There are 50 ohm versions and 75 ohm versions. You will need to check the part number to verify which one you have but you need to use the 50 ohm version.

Web

When you do the continuity checks as above, pull and twist the cables at the connectors to see if the connections are intermittent.

Web

Stupid question on the TN-70 problems for Kirby and Tom: did it work before and just stop working, or has it never worked right? If I remember correctly you guys have been running the Trig transponders for a while and added on the TN-70 recently.

Stupid question on the TN-70 problems for Kirby and Tom: did it work before and just stop working, or has it never worked right? If I remember correctly you guys have been running the Trig transponders for a while and added on the TN-70 recently.
I’ve been running the Trig(s) for many years with no issues, just added the TN-70 module to be ADS-B compliant a few months ago, been fighting the problem since but the Mode-S still works. It’s interesting it starts up ok and about 5 minutes later you get the error.

Last edited:
Same. Mode s has been working fine. Just added the tn70. Mode s still works,
It’s not getting a gps signal apparently. Papr report
Comes back as no report. Mine never shows a position and comes up with the no signal. With the mode s it will show up on other airplanes traffic panels. Friend has a g500 and it shows up as a primary target. No n number which would come from the adsb.

4ef6f5c24b038e86ed0752dd1a0fa3b8.jpg

Last edited:
Almost sounds like it wasn't programmed. In a nutshell, was it programmed with aircraft info (length, width, weight) and set to nexnav GPS info? This should be all that's needed to turn it from a transponder into an ADS-B out unit.

Web

Back