• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Epic “FAIL”

Almost sounds like it wasn't programmed. In a nutshell, was it programmed with aircraft info (length, width, weight) and set to nexnav GPS info? This should be all that's needed to turn it from a transponder into an ADS-B out unit.

Web

Yes. Tried the other options for gps source as well. These were the settings supplied by trig

Switch OFF
Press and hold FN for 5 seconds while you power ON. (You should see a screen that says ‘Press ENT to enter setup menu’)
Press ENT
Use FN to skip pages, use the right hand knob to alter setting and ENT to select.

Set the following;
GPS Source: Nexnav
Baud rate: 19200
GPS Cert: Level C
NACV: 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the shop I’ve worked “fails” are just like Web states. GPS signal failure or bad config.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back to conclude the original intent of the thread, my transponder came back from Garmin today :) they trouble shot the board and replaced a do-dad and complied with another issue I hadn't heard of, bench calibrated it and burned it in all for the bargain price of $1.3 aviation units.

Lets 's see, 0.5 Aviation units = 1shrink /hr,
Aviation
units = oil change on truck
0.1 Aviation units = one Aviation hamburger
1.3 Aviation units = 3 rounds of golf where I live.

It's all good, just where you want to spend it.8)

Back to conclude the original intent of the thread, my transponder came back from Garmin today :) they trouble shot the board and replaced a do-dad and complied with another issue I hadn't heard of, bench calibrated it and burned it in all for the bargain price of $1.3 aviation units.
That is very likely more than they sold the unit to their distributor for originally. From the manufacturers perspective, these avionics are just throwaways. They are making it very difficult for people like Web to service avionics. Remove and replace, throw out the old and replace with new. We used to be able to take our malfunctioning piece of avionics to the local radio shop, there a very knowledgeable person who loved working on avionics would fix it like new. Now the manufacturing companies are trying to put these great people out of business.

The last time I needed an item repaired, I went to my favorite shop where a fellow who I had known for 50 years was working for a few hours a week for something to do, because he still enjoyed working on and fixing avionics. The bench section was large with lots of work stations. He was the only person there. Thankfully he was able to replace the capacitor and I was back in business. Previously, I had a screen go blank on a CNX-80/GNS480. He couldn't fix it because he couldn't see the screen, so it had to go to Garmin's flat rate $1,100. If he had been able to light up the screen, there was a good possibility I would only have been out a Ben Franklin.

That's the way things have been going for years. The installer hangs the unit in the aircraft and if it needs repair, it goes all the way back to the factory. Luckily I ran across a disgruntled Bendix guy that says he'll fix them for just as long as he can find parts, lol. I liked him as soon as he said that!

Web

Back