• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float fittings info needed

skukum12

The Last Frontier
I am gathering info about putting my 12 on floats. Some basic answers are needed:

I already have 18 gear if that makes a difference and the plane is covered/flying.

Will all weld on/bolt on fittings work with all floats?

Is it true 12 and 18 fittings are different?

Im sure I will come up with more questions.....thanks, Joe

fuselage shape is different .... so they have different bend than -18 if i recall correctly...

make sure you put them at proper location, I had to grind a set off once that was installed previously one bay to far back, not fun...

Not to suggest you do it but I flew a PA-12-180 on EDO 2000 PA-18 struts and wires for a few years. It had PA-18 wheel gear already. Rear fittings were pre-welded Atlee Dodge which allows for strut alignment due to fuselage shape. Pulley tabs on the fuselage were clamp-ons. Worked very well. The wires can be lengthened with suitable extension straps. Eddie Peck would know the exact dimensions.

Gary

For sure the front gear attachment block is different on a 12 vs. 18.

I think the diagonal flying wires are longer and the spreader bars are wider to accommodate the 12’s wider body and the rear strut is shorter.

If you’re looking at EDOs, call Erik at Kenmore Air Harbor. He know everything about them.

Be careful, you don’t want to buy a set of used floats expecting to buy the correct attachment gear/items afterwards. The parts are astronomically expensive, even from Eddie Peck.

Back