• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cover my gear legs or not

courierguy, will you try one more test? Using the same piece of streamlined tubing, reverse it so that the thin pointed edge is facing into the wind. Compare that reading to the one you already tried. According to Prof Shapiro in #59's video the drag should be higher.

Thanks for posting your test results, Tom! Now I'm curious as to how a streamlined profile could compare to a teardrop shape at those speeds. My gear legs are covered, but if they weren't, I'd try something like Gary suggested above, and fair the reason the tube. It would be very interesting to see how it all translates to speed gain... 2-3 mph? More?

courierguy, will you try one more test? Using the same piece of streamlined tubing, reverse it so that the thin pointed edge is facing into the wind. Compare that reading to the one you already tried. According to Prof Shapiro in #59's video the drag should be higher.

Did that, was very noticeablly higher drag, but no where near draggy as the round tube.

I would think that that area your trying to test in would be a low pressure area behind the windshield?

Glenn

Yes, altered flow for sure, if this was a serious test, but the overall much greater drag of the round tube still a given, re the wrist test.

Were focused on the gear legs, but most have installed the safety cables. Check the testing of wire shapes in the MIT video. Of course the drag ratio is at much higher speeds in his tests but sure makes you think.

Since I have what amounts to over built gear on my S-7S, (and I guess, I'm a thrill seeker) I did not install the safety cables that came with my gear. The extra drag was the first consideration, followed by their weight. No regrets yet, I also don't wear suspenders when I wear a belt. Heavier planes that work their gear much harder then my lightweight, are a different deal. To me, this was just another benefit of keeping things light.

Could always slide a section of this over your gear legs.

IMG_9328.jpg IMG_9327.jpg

pb

Attachments

• IMG_9328.jpg
    IMG_9328.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9327.jpg
    IMG_9327.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 157
Peter, that looks like the Aerolite product at uflyit.com . Leave it loose and tell us if the spiral slipstream moves it out of trail.

Peter, that looks like the Aerolite product at uflyit.com . Leave it loose and tell us if the spiral slipstream moves it out of trail.

Only on landing/taxiing.

Fastening is simple with 2 adel clamps per section. I was changing my gear bolts so sliding them on required no splitting.

Last edited:
IMG_8675.jpg

59501880101__9040443A-6068-497B-B268-F505F22DEEBB.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8675.jpg
    IMG_8675.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 59501880101__9040443A-6068-497B-B268-F505F22DEEBB.jpg
    59501880101__9040443A-6068-497B-B268-F505F22DEEBB.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 173
Having the gear covered adds a huge amount of drag, in a slip. The more drag the better, trying to drop down over 100 foot trees.

Just having covered gear could shorten your landing by 5 feet.

Jonny

Back