Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acme black ops

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m guessing the STC reads similar to the Catto STC. Step #1 Remove sticker.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine the FAA isn’t helpful at all as of lately.

https://www.facebook.com/17442527358...90028577/?vh=e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    I would imagine the FAA isn’t helpful at all as of lately.

https://www.facebook.com/17442527358...90028577/?vh=e

drop tests are the least of the torture induced on a fuselage....

loaded & turning in soft or tundra is what gets them....

Post Thanks / Like
    Good evening everyone. We definitely appreciate all of the positive feedback around our products. I see a lot of questions pertaining to certifications. We are currently in the process of gaining an STC and PMA for our BlackOps shocks, Stinger tailwheel suspension, and gear legs.

We’ve compiled all of the baseline drop test data from bungees, all of the drop test data for the BlackOps, Stinger and gear legs and are currently finishing up a lot of the “paperwork” portion. Our engineers and DER seem to think we are a month or so out. I tend to be more conservative and think it’ll be mid-fall of this year. We have a huge meeting tomorrow to review timelines, outstanding needs, etc. I can definitely post here tomorrow once I have a better idea of what we lack to finish up.

Long story short...we are very close to having an STC for three different products. If anyone has any questions whatsoever please don’t hesitate to reach out at 704-496-9022 ext 2. We’d love to speak with you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, wonder what the Ranger series is?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been pretty outspoken and critical of acme over the past few years. They’ve left a little bit of carnage in their wake on their way to developing a pretty solid product. And taking it a step further, seeking approval for use on certified aircraft, Considering the limited market and expense involved, no small feat!
    We need innovators. My hats off to you guys for your dedication, persistence and hard work
    Doug
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes hangarmonkey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Black Ops on the front and the Acme stinger on the tail. Maybe along with my slats, adding those shocks were the single best up-grade I've made to my SQ. They're clean in flight and dampen extremely well. It's such a huge benefit to literally never bounce when landing on a rough strip or bank. And, I love that they don't seem to cause the airplane to "dart" if during a crosswind take off or, a rough roll out, they become unevenly loaded. I've heard other shocks can do that? Obviously, good technique will get you through with no shocks better that shocks will get you through with **** technique but, man..... my Acme shocks sure allow for some margin when the landings are on really rough terrain and there's no going around. I love them. I think people discuss performance a lot but, safety is a huge benefit in my humble opinion. Also, as pointed out above.... I like that if you ever had a blown seal, the spring will still get you outta there and home. I've heard of another pilot who had a different shock, landed (not even particularly hard) on a gravel island and one of his shocks failed. Lop sided and flat, he needed a new shock to be able to get his bird off that island. Sounded stressful as the river had a daily rise with melt water during the afternoon.....
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With what Jeff S. mentioned on blowing a seal (Black Ops shock) and still being able to get home, would one still want/need to have safety cables?

Post Thanks / Like
    Still need safety cables to "save" you if your cabane-V fails, for instance.
    Likes Jeff S, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I suspected as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    AcmeAeroFab.... Any news on the black ops STC?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Likes Herc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daves123 View Post

Thanks,
    Dave
    Funny you mention this, I was just wondering about this myself the other day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    Steve, how would I work that from Minnesota? I would like to make this change.

Randy
    I can't believe that you risked porkie ole Santa's life all these years with an old suspension.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes mike mcs repair, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when Mick Capouch came to New Holstein for the first time with his wife, Rose, and they were sportin' bushwheels. When asked how she liked them she replied "Landing with those Bushwheels was like landing with two big pillows on my butt" ...or something to that effect.

Well, I'm not telling Santa this, but he has two pillows on his butt, too. Mrs. Claus is too sweet to concur...

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I can't believe that you risked porkie ole Santa's life all these years with an old suspension.

Glenn
    ”Legacy Death Gear”

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! Yup, I have Amce's on my old legacy death gear. Makes the 'death' a lot softer.
    Likes mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Web
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daves123 View Post

Thanks,
    Dave

Update from Acme yesterday. "We are looking at having everything done with STC and PMA first quarter of 2021. We are in conformity testing and prescribed drop testing with the FAA now. Flight tests to follow and we will be all wrapped up."

The question was asking for an update on the black ops shocks and stinger certification.
    Thanks KevinJ, WindOnHisNose, JeremyLee89 thanked for this post
    Likes TJAK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a heavier SQ3 (PA-12 Fuselage with SQ2 Mods) and it always felt like the bungees bottomed out even just taxiing in grass. Then I installed the Acme Black Ops and cannot get over the difference. Huge fan! Have always been certified until this plane and can't stress how much the FAA stymies creativity with the whole relentless STC certification process. Eric & Matt @ ACME were great.
    Last edited by Pilatus_Porter; 11-23-2020 at 04:47 AM.
    Thanks Airguide, JeremyLee89 thanked for this post
    Likes tedwaltman1, Jeff S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was out today trying to find rough places to land to really test the Black Ops Gen 4. I can not believe the difference these shocks make, a total game changer. If you have an old shock system do not follow a guy around that has the Gen 4's or you may be sorry, you may even wreck your airplane. I hit stuff that I think this is going to be bad and I don't even feel it.

I recently became aware that my Acme are Black Ops Gen 3 not 4
    Last edited by Mauleguy; 11-26-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: wrong information
    Thanks Airguide thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Spot on Greg, exact thing here in Maine. Im testing out a 6 in extended gear with new Gen 4 black ops on the CarbonCub.Big difference from the gen 3. A lot of stuff you dont even feel now. I was into some rough stuff yesterday, then a bunch of STOL practice, dropped it in numerous times from a couple feet, its a non event. Ive not flown the TK1, but cant imagine they could work better than these. Well done Acme
    Jim
    Likes tedwaltman1, BTV liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So what is the difference between Gen3 and Gen4? I thought the only difference was the STC? And are you using Acme's new gear legs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gen 4 is the pro series, they have more travel and some
    Different internals, geared more towards lighter weight flying and stol contest type stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Went on their (Acme's) website and didn't see anything, but I do now see the pro series even though they have not uploaded information about the pro series.

Good thing I have Gen3 as I'm certainly not a Pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    So what is the difference between Gen3 and Gen4? I thought the only difference was the STC? And are you using Acme's new gear legs?
    Yes I bought a set of 6x3 Acme HD gear and a new pair of Gen 4 shocks thru Smiling Toms Cub parts and sales. So far they have been awesome. Acme is sending me a shorter Heim joint and reinforce sleeve because I feel it doesn’t have quite enough positive camber. Acme has been awesome. The only thing I have noticed is I think the powder coat is quite brittle I have some rock chips from the past 3 weeks ok bushwheels But the places I was in would probably do the same thing to painted gear . They are very well built, with a removable axle
    I don’t have many good pix and the gear is in my dads car headed to FL and I am headed there Friday on Amphibs. Acme website has some good pix of the gear, I think mine show in the pixs

jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93863DA4-9493-44CB-A5F7-D264CA202357.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	52529  
    Likes Utah-Jay, Bearhawk Builder liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, sharp looking plane there.

You probably know this trick for rock chips on the gear, but I have applied the 3M clear auto protective film to my gear and leading edge of the horizontal stab. My poor stab was getting beat up.
    Likes courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Santa, go for it! All you have to do is schedule a couple of unnecessary surgeries.
    Mick Capouch
    PA-18 150 N6TD
    Likes Dave Calkins liked this post