• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bill Rusk Presents: "One mans Journey in a Super Cub from Barrow to Ketchikan"

Thanks a bunch to Bill and SJ. Great presentation and very well coordinated. Bill’s stories, videos, and pictures are absolutely intoxicating. I have always wanted to go to SE Alaska and the presentation tonight sealed the deal. Now I need to find some Wips.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

The book about flying to and around Alaska that was mentioned tonight is out of print. A pdf version of it is available to Alaska Airmen members via their web site. While still a great resource, the info is getting a bit dated.

Great presentation, Bill. Thanks for facilitating, SJ!

One of the things I took from flying with Bill in SE AK was that I could do this. Really. The weather limits are really no different than here in MN, in that I don't fly my cub into IMC. For those who fly in mountains, you don't fly through a pass unless you can see the other side of the pass. With this if you are worried about the weather, simply stay put. We need to be provisioned, to make staying put comfortable/possible.

We can make this trip, folks. I'm gonna do it on amphibs someday, in my own cub.

Another thing that I learned with these cabins is that while there may be places for 4 to sleep, there really aren't many that two aircraft can comfortably beach or dock. The cabins are for one aircraft, with some exceptions.

Thanks, again, Bill. Great opportunity was given to you, you took advantage of the opportunities and you made them happen, and you have inspired many.

Randy

Thanks Bill, it was a great presentation!

Eric

Thank you for sharing your adventures, Bill! Awesome presentation!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Hear more from Bill Rusk

Folks, last year I did a great interview with Bill. You can listen to it here if you want to get more on his background: click here

Also, I will be sending out a survey soon to help us learn what we can do better next time!

Finally, some stats: We had 309 people come and go during the meeting according to the Zoom status report. It looked like a sold 130 or so that I saw. Not sure which to believe but really glad so many people attended!

sj

Thanks SJ and Bill.

That was really great, far better than another lame Netflix series.

Kirby

ps. Bill you need to come visit and we’ll take you to the other end of Will’s life, the birthplace/museum at the Dog Iron Ranch (East of Claremore) which maintains a great grass strip.

Last edited:
What a great idea to have this presentation! Thanks to all of you involved! Really enjoyed it and looking forward to seeing more!

In order to make things better in the future, please help us out with this quick survey on last night's presentation!

https://forms.gle/k2ZfJw8fCxUnRW2a8

sj

SJ, I'm not sure who all should fill out the survey.

The first question has an answer choice: "
No The Time Did Not Work For Me"

That's what I chose. but then all the other questions required answers as if I had seen the presentation. I couldn't submit the survey because I couldn't answer all the required questions.

FWIW

Good points! It seems that no matter how hard I try to get a survey correct, I always mess it up somehow!

However, there has been some GREAT feedback on how to improve next time. My mic (which BTW is NOT just a mic in the computer) was clipping big time and I was unaware of it so I came across much louder than Bill. I'm working on the video to post as I type and it is frustrating to listen to as sound is one of the things I am usually pretty good at. Zoom does not offer much in the way of audio monitoring out of the box, but I have a plan... :)

I appreciate all the folks taking the time to fill out the survey - even when you could not get on there. I have modified the survey so the impertinent questions can be skipped if you could not make it.

Thanks again!

sj

P.S. We have gotten some GREAT suggestions for future topics!

Folks, if you missed it, you can now watch Bill's presentation on YouTube. Be sure to set your quality to 720 / HD (click watch on youtube for full screen).

Thank you Bill and Steve (and all others involved) for your time and work to share this great trip with us.

Stay safe, Anthony

sorry for the upside down picture. We have a very nice evening looking that video ;)

Attachments

• 620AA4FF-D44B-4131-A292-3477A1A6A266.jpeg
    620AA4FF-D44B-4131-A292-3477A1A6A266.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Thanks Bill and Steve. That was very enjoyable watching the YouTube edition on this snowy April afternoon!

What a well put together podcast-have sent it to a colleague who lived many years on the North Slope.

What is the range with reserves on Bill’s Javron Super Cub ? 350nm?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

My heartfelt thank you for an excellent presentation Bill. And many thanks to you as well Steve for organizing this, and numerous other, wonderful presentations!

I didn’t see the chat, where you might have listed these, so…

Here are links to a few of the items mentioned during the webinar:

Floats-to-Alaska-2016: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?50420-Floats-to-Alaska-2016

Foats-to-Alaska-2017: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?52302-Floats-to-Alaska-2017

Floats-to-Alaska-2018: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?55705-Floats-to-Alaska-2018

LogbookWeb.jpg

Alaska Airmen’s Association Logbook (Flying to/from Around Alaska): Out of print, but a PDF is available on this page under the Misc section. Perhaps a donation to the Alaska Airmen’s Association (link) might be appropriate if you download the PDF https://fly2ak.com/?page_id=25

Tongass National Forest Cabin map (interactive—scroll around—zoom in/out): https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/tongass/maps-pubs/?cid=fseprd538083&width=full

Public Lake Cabins of Alaska (by Tom Bass): http://www.publiclakecabinsak.com/

Alaska Flight Planning Website: http://fly2ak.com

I'll add a section on wheels-vs-floats with your comments, Bill, to the fly2ak.com website. I do already have some thoughts regarding "Time of Year" on the site. As you aptly mentioned, "It's all good!"

Attachments

• LogbookWeb.jpg
    LogbookWeb.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Thanks, Ted! I added a link to these to the description on the youtube video also!

sj

Bill and Steve, Excellent presentation! Brought back memories flying up to SE Alaska on Wips!

Below is a 2017 trip to the Brady Glacier from Juneau. It’s a long video so grab a cup of coffee and put your feet up...

L18C-95

With the fuel pod I have 68 gallons of gas which, at 8gph is about 8 1/2 hours. I cruise at 2400 RPM at 100 mph. So.... I guess you could say 800 statute miles with 1/2 hour reserve. I would certainly not push it that far but 600 miles is doable. The longest leg I’ve done to this point was about 6 hours. Nonstop from just North of Seattle over Canada to Ketchikan.

Thank you for the kind words and your interest.

Bill

I’ll add my two cents worth to this thread: Bill has done a great job of fulfilling his dream, and helping several others whet their appetite for an “Alaska fix“. And, assisted by SJ and his technical wizardry, Bill was kind enough to share his adventures with the rest of us.

The program brought back lots of memories of flying floats in AK, and interior and nip or there AK. Bill was also kind enough to send a link of he and Jay’s trip to Kodiak, which also brought back memories.

Thanks again, guys! A nice break from “hanging out”.

MTV

Lyn and I watched the recorded version the other evening for our nights entertainment. Not only thank you for making the presentation, but for further recording and making this available to watch any time and over again!!

While wheels do limit your flying, there are some cabins on northern South East that can be used. We have a few beaches, and some cool river bars, and a few mountain tops a plane can stop and take a picture.

From Haines you can head through the mountains west to Yakutat which has multiple strips with Forest Service cabins- and those cabin strips are long and very will maintained!

Please feel free to call or email me if folks want information about this area, I will be glad to offer some advice.

Folks

Thank you very much for all the positive feedback. A great deal of the credit, should go to Steve Johnson for working me through how to use zoom. And also to Dr. Randy, for encouraging me to throw all this out there. My sincere thanks to both of them for their help and encouragement.

Also as I mentioned in the program, if you go to YouTube and type my name, Bill Rusk, in the YouTube search box, that will take you to all of my videos.
By doing it this way the resolution is a little better, and hopefully easier to watch.

Thanks again folks for everything! The members of supercub.org are simply the best people you’ll ever meet, and certainly the best I’ve ever known.

Best regards

Bill

Last edited:
Back