• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lycoming press in oil tube length?

CharlieN

Down low in the hills of Vermont USA
The O-290 I have here has a ridiculously short oil fill tube. I see a 7 1/8" tube being available, but is anything longer available?

The one I removed when I switched my sump is 11-1/2”. It’s a stock Lycoming part, but it’s threaded.

The one I removed when I switched my sump is 11-1/2”. It’s a stock Lycoming part, but it’s threaded.
Is that a threaded in or press in?
I would expect you have a threaded in tube on the later engine, mine is antique crap.

The press fit tubes are a thin brass tube used extensively until Lycoming knew better. I would say they were the most common up till the late 50s or early 60s. Call it O-290s, O-235s and very early 320s.

I had not thought about what the lower thread size is as to whether I can cut threads in my engine case, or turn the threads off a tube.I would more than likely incorporate an upper support since it appear long press in tube might not have been utilized.

I am considering extending mine, these are nominally 1 ¼ OD tube and I can get a foot of 1 ¼ .032 wall from Mcmaster to work with. Probably be just about right.

Yes,
I do not know if the upper and lower threads are the same since I never paid attention to that in the past, logically I could use a standard Lycoming extension or if a medium length filler tube would work as such.

The O-290 I have here has a ridiculously short oil fill tube. I see a 7 1/8" tube being available, but is anything longer available?

charlie i have a bunch of the different length screw in type, tell me the length your looking for and i will send you one. some are metal and some are a bakelite product.

That would be logical.
For my needs an oil tube of 10-11" would bring the fill up close to the cowl. I did not check what thread they use to determine if I can just thread my case, I will check that soon.
But logically it might be if I just threaded a 7ish inch fill tube into the 3" tube my engine has and use a long Dip stick would be the most reliable way rather than homebrewing something that could kill me.
Being that I will be welding up my own oil sump the calibration of the dipstick is meaningless till I know what mine calls for.

Back