• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lycoming oil suction tube problem

Tunria

Florida
On the A and B series engines the Oil Suction Screen goes into sump from the bottom of the engine and is captured by p/n 61381 suction tube. Have any of you amazing mechs out there had any problems with this brazed assembly, specifically, it sucking air at the gasket where it mounts inside the accessory case? I have an engine that suddenly developed a problem at a normal oil change (also cleaned screen). Won't make over 25 psi oil pressure. It also has an AirWolf remote filter kit which has been trouble free for years. No metal in oil and Airwolf guys said I might have a bad spin-on filter, but tried another to no avail. First, I did put a calibrated gage and hose on it to verify its not a gage problem. Anyone have any ideas before I remove the Sump? Hoping someone has seen this.

I don't really post here, just sneak in and read for education but in over 40 years as an AP/IA I have had 3 experiences with this. Normal oil change and a tiny bit of crap gets disturbed and contaminates the relief valve. Good on you for checking the suction screen, so many don't do it. The really frustrating part is that many times I have not actually found the bit in the ball/seat, just fixed the problem by "looking". That's where I would start and the good part is that is an external item, go deeper only as a last resort.
I've had far too many cases of target fixation that took good techs down the rabbit hole and pulled me right in after them.
Ken

It changed after an oil change? I’d retrace my steps. Filter already swapped. When you say you cleaned the screen do you mean the suction screen? Have you removed and double checked that?

When you tried a different gauge did you use the same restrictor fitting? It’s easy to imagine that getting fouled.

A bit of crud under the oil pressure relief ball?

Yes, I'm hoping for this one! I did buy a new ball and spring and they are ready for install with the crush washer. Thanks so much, guys! I will let you know when i get back in town to get it done. --DRB

Thats a great thought too. The external gage is still on there so after I check the ball and seat, if no luck, then i will send a soft wire through the fitting --or maybe compressed air..... or maybe remove it first, lol.

Yes, I'm hoping for this one! I did buy a new ball and spring and they are ready for install with the crush washer. Thanks so much, guys! I will let you know when i get back in town to get it done. --DRB
It may just be a spec of carbon between the ball and seat. Not likely to need to replace the ball & spring.

Back