• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A Lovely Day in the Neighborhood

stewartb

Noisy night. Supposed to blow until tomorrow afternoon. I don’t miss parking outdoors right now.

IMG_0196.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 316
Yes, hangars are wonderful. Electric grid is on lockdown in our region today, no electrons moving about until further notice.

This is the kind of day Lake Hood guys take off thinking it's nice and get the crap beat out of them across the inlet. I remember it well.

IMG_0971.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 206
This is typical March weather for Alaska. A Low sitting south of the State and a High or two up north. Lots of tight isobars and a NE>SW breeze often enhanced by orographic features. Usually the increase in daylight over 12 hrs gets winter soaked folks outdoors wild and wooly.

Gary

The wind isn’t a big deal, just interesting to watch. Birchwood and Anchorage are getting it now.

I still went for a walk. 35G55 and I wasn’t the only one out. A couple of dog walkers, kids playing, just another day.

IMG_0197.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 203
The last two times it gusted over 50 in fairbanks I had five Spruce trees hit my roof, deck, and shed. About $40,000 later the weak trees were gone and the rest repaired.

Gary

I got caught out today. Landed to the north on Lake Hood gusting over 40.....yuck.:oops:
on the bright side it was gorgeous coming through Lake Clark Pass with absolutely no wind.

Takes good breeze and lots of runway to launch a Stinson....probably poor tiedowns and maybe neglect

Last edited:
I got caught out today. Landed to the north on Lake Hood gusting over 40.....yuck.:oops:
on the bright side it was gorgeous coming through Lake Clark Pass with absolutely no wind.

Interesting. Where did you start noticing wind? I'd have guessed the passes were rough. Lucky you!

Still blowing hard here in the Valley.

Wind didn’t get us until the MacArthur or so. Little bumpy time the big sue but sporty as all get out across the inlet to landing on the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back