• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Self isolation.

S2D

Montana
My friend sent me this picture of his new 2 week self isolation camp last night. Said he took along a loaf of bread, can of spam,roll of toilet paper, gallon of water, and a pound of coffee. Plus 2 36 packs of beer.

He called me early this morning in a panic.
Said all the supplies were good except he miscalculated on the beer. He was out. He wondered if i could go pick some up and just drop it to him so he wouldn't get my bug.
So i went down to the store real early and snuck a couple cases out the back door. Flew out and pushed them out, going real slow.
When i got back there was a panicked message on my phone. Seems all the bottles broke.
So im gonna go back out and and try it in a few minutes with cans.
But if that dont work, are there any physics majors here that can advise the next best way to go about this DSCN1153.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• DSCN1153.jpg
    DSCN1153.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 580
Thats called a Distancing FlyIn, there getting more popular these days. but to start with, to take care of the emergency, i would shove the long neck bottles into the center of the toilet paper rolls and see if your lucky and they land right. or a home made parachute, i would try the stuffed toilet paper first if it were me. but first put a wrap of duct tape around the bottle so the cap dosent come off with a little shaking or it will be in vain, you know. need any other ideas dont be scared to ask.

Last edited:
Hehehe. This has been discussed at length in a semi-recent thread about dropping supplies. And a guy that pioneered and perfected drops and pickups while circling...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Drink the beer, then drop tbe empty bottles on him.
It's nice to know that they waived that regulation for us during this coronavirus but I'm pretty sure if I drink all that beer I won't be able to find his camp

06282006705U7468abandoned prairie.jpg

I'm self isolating at my summer cabin.

Attachments

• 06282006705U7468abandoned prairie.jpg
    06282006705U7468abandoned prairie.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 3,064
Not quite as news worthy, but how about just landing a half mile away and set the beer down on the ground, then take back off and let him walk to the beer?

He said he went in to the hospital and when he asked the pretty nurse how close he could get to her she said get outta here and dont come within 6 miles of the place.
Thats why he is out there.
I didnt believe him so i went down and when she saw me she got this scared look and said get 10 miles away. I guess she was real worried for me. I must be a little more impotant than him
Anyways where this was going, i don't think he can walk 10 miles to get his beer from where i drop it off. As bad as he was staggering, that would be about 20 miles each ways.

My friend sent me this picture of his new 2 week self isolation camp last night. Said he took along a loaf of bread, can of spam,roll of toilet paper, gallon of water, and a pound of coffee. Plus 2 36 packs of beer.

He called me early this morning in a panic.
Said all the supplies were good except he miscalculated on the beer. He was out. He wondered if i could go pick some up and just drop it to him so he wouldn't get my bug.
So i went down to the store real early and snuck a couple cases out the back door. Flew out and pushed them out, going real slow.
When i got back there was a panicked message on my phone. Seems all the bottles broke.
So im gonna go back out and and try it in a few minutes with cans.
But if that dont work, are there any physics majors here that can advise the next best way to go about thisView attachment 47885

S2D
That plane in your picture looks familiar....anyone I know? :)

I have a huge collection of my father's Popular Science and Popular mechanic magazines, from the very early '40's to the late '50's in my shop's bathroom. One of them has an article about the circling while dropping a line concept, in the case I read about, it was a field telephone.

Done correctly, your friend will be re-supplied, I see the major sticking point figuring out to make the takeoff, and then once aloft and in his neighborhood, egressing the beer and then providing a means of reeling out the line. Having the line all laid out and the beer attached all while on the ground, and then making the takeoff, would simplify things, but also complicate things! You need someone in the passenger seat, beer in their lap, once it's out 20' the rest would be easy. That first few part would be the tricky part.

I once delivered a 60 pound tepee to some back country skiers, on a 8600' ridge, by replacing the pass. seat with a plywood rear cargo deck. With the door open on the appropriate side (RANS S-7S, has two doors) and a major side slip it ejected cleanly. Hell, drop him off some thickly padded bottles of whiskey, and tell him to consider himself lucky.

Drop him some well padded Everclear and some coconuts. He can make cocktails and eat the rest. If he suspects a virus has landed the high proof ethanol will kill it

Gary

Done a lot of whiskey and ice drops, but always in lakes in warmer weather. The collective here can surely come up with a summer beer drop procedure.

S2D
That plane in your picture looks familiar....anyone I know? :)

Yea but If I gave it out, all those girls might find out and beat a path to his camp !! Luckily that nurse was perfessional about it.

In one of the national maps on a TV network news show, showing the severity of the virus spread, it appeared that Fort Peck Lake and in general NE Montana was still one of the most untouched areas in the nation. I flew the length of that pond once, east to west, it is worth doing.

In one of the national maps on a TV network news show, showing the severity of the virus spread, it appeared that Fort Peck Lake and in general NE Montana was still one of the most untouched areas in the nation. I flew the length of that pond once, east to west, it is worth doing.

Asotin and Garfield Counties, in Washington, so far have no reported cases. Maybe because they aren't testing.

It is odd, though, that our local hospital is treating patients for Covid19. They are from across the river in Lewiston ID, so I guess they don't count.

Preppers are saying I told you so. I've talked with one on ham radio in northern Idaho who had a single line trail to his camp. Seems wind dropped a bunch of big trees recently and his game cameras are checked daily. I'd not want to wander in unannounced.

Gary

Back