• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa 14 Tail Cluster Cracks/Failure

llew0002

Idaho
I have a 1949 Pa-14...Baby Bushwheel on for 10+ years. Hit a bit hard on landing the other day and wrinkled fabric. On further inspection show broken braces. Tubing does not seem to be corroded but I am not 100 percent sure at this time. Had my mechanic look at it and we are trying to figure the best options for repair. Searched the forums and didn't find what I am looking for, so i thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had ideas on best route for repair/strengthen it.
Thanks

Attachments

• Tail 1.jpg
    Tail 1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Tail 2.jpg
    Tail 2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Tail 3.jpg
    Tail 3.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 179
Normal damage

Weld it up and add gussets.

Make sure to check stabilizer angles as you may need to shorten lower longerons to correct angles while you are in there. Not sure if anyone is offering a -12/-14 tail section you would splice on... it IS DIFFERENT than -18 tail section

You will probably need to change a chunk of the diagonal tube there it’s pretty beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

attachment.php

Notice the missing primer on the tail post between the rudder hinge and the horizontal jigging tube. Inspect that closely for compression stress.

We cut and splice the damaged tubes. You can buy a tail post from Univair and splice to stay out of the top longeron cluster. Pretty much replace all those tubes.

Back