Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelter in place order

Post Thanks / Like

Shelter in place order

We in Colorado got the shelter in place order that goes into effect this morning. There are exceptions such as essential services which include agriculture, taking care of livestock ect.
    My question is, is it a stretch to fly the cub up into the hills to check on the stock water tanks to see if any immediate maintenance is needed?
    That was on my to do list before all of this happened.
    Thanks Eddy

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks DJG thanked for this post
    Likes SJ, 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We've had a similar order for awhile. I don't see much difference since most people were already distancing. I interpret the order's purpose as limiting gatherings. There's no restriction on personal transportation.
    Thanks SJ thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Lewis View Post
    We in Colorado got the shelter in place order that goes into effect this morning. There are exceptions such as essential services which include agriculture, taking care of livestock ect.
    My question is, is it a stretch to fly the cub up into the hills to check on the stock water tanks to see if any immediate maintenance is needed?
    That was on my to do list before all of this happened.
    Thanks Eddy

Under Washington's version that would fall under essential service and maintaining mental health, among other things.

Post Thanks / Like
    We got it here in Idaho yesterday. Left unclear is who is providing essential services, and who is not. Is my crane service essential, like setting HVAC units on the county jail as I did two days ago? I think maybe so. I did see that on the official state list of businesses that will still be open as usual was: 1. grocery stores and coming in at number 2. liqueur stores! In a state with a lot of non drinking Mormons this position of being #2 is a hoot. So, no need to hoard the booze, though I did buy an extra case of beer last time I was at the grocery store, just in case supplies run short.
    Likes Southern Aero liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    We got it here in Idaho yesterday. Left unclear is who is providing essential services, and who is not. Is my crane service essential, like setting HVAC units on the county jail as I did two days ago? I think maybe so. I did see that on the official state list of businesses that will still be open as usual was: 1. grocery stores and coming in at number 2. liqueur stores! In a state with a lot of non drinking Mormons this position of being #2 is a hoot. So, no need to hoard the booze, though I did buy an extra case of beer last time I was at the grocery store, just in case supplies run short.
    Liquor stores are by far and away one of the most essential services. The last thing we need is a bunch of EtOH withdrawals in with the COVIDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anchorage people are funny. I went to my optician's shop yesterday to have them change the nose pads on glasses I got a couple of days ago. No fitting. They handed the new glasses out of a cracked door since they're in lockdown. I get it, my company is doing the same thing. When I left I drove through the big box parking lot. Sportsman's Warehouse, Office Max, and Petco. The parking lot was full. Like Christmas shopping full. Costco has limited shoppers inside to promote low density indoors with several hundred people waiting in a high density line outside. I guess you can't legislate common sense, but they'll keep trying.
    Thanks silflexer thanked for this post
    Likes RaisedByWolves, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I traveled into town yesterday to pickup a motor starter for our refrigerator. I was traveling with hand wipes, commercial sanitizer and a small jar of 151 rum on the seat next to me. The 151 is my true sanitizer and mount rinse.
    In my 30+ mile drive I did not notice any reduction in traffic. The oil change shop employees were out curbside trying to get business. All parking lots were at their usual amount of vehicles.
    I expect if I drove up to the ski areas it would be a different story but in town it looked like a normal day.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're driving from your home to the airport and not associating/ gathering with others, I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Checking your water tanks is certainly an essential part of an agricultural operation. Just follow protocol if handling fuel nozzles etc.

The way the media has been fanning things up, you'd think we may fall under martial law any minute.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !
    Thanks Coulee Clipper thanked for this post
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    ....The way the media has been fanning things up, you'd think we may fall under martial law any minute.
    A friend of mine told me yesterday that her husband & a buddy of his were gonna go fishing and got turned around by a fish cop,
    I assume at the boat ramp.
    Told them they couldn't go out unless they already co-habitated. (enforcing social distancing)
    They turned around.
    I told her if they were REAL fishermen (do anything to get out on the water),
    they woulda told him they were live-in gay lovers.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes Goldknight, DJG, Southern Aero liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    A friend of mine told me yesterday that her gusband & a buddy of his were gonna go fishing and got turned around by a game dept dude,
    Told them they couldn't go out unless they co-habitated.
    They turned around, I told her if they were REAL fishermen (do anything to get out on the water),
    Was that around where you are? Yikes, that's pretty strict. I asked our local sheriff about enforcement on boats and fishing here and he said as long as people aren't having parties in the parking lot, he thinks fishing is a good thing to be doing these days. No party boats or large groups.

As for cohabitation, in our little world that is an ever-changing concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    In California the loophole is you can go for walks or walk your dog. Common sense says you could include a drive to the airport and a flight, which I have been doing every day. Nobody comes in my hangar or touches my Cub.

I am not doing students except for very limited Stearman stuff, and won't touch the J4 or instructional Cub unless nobody else has touched them for 48 hours and they have been wiped down.

Not paranoid, not scared - easy for me to take precautions and still do everything I normally do.

Classroom is on Skype - new for me, but it works so far. Getting gasoline is a comedy of gloves and spritzer.

I will get it anyway - the Greek goes to the food stores daily during senior hours. That's where it is transmitted.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine told me yesterday that her husband & a buddy of his were gonna go fishing and got turned around by a fish cop,
    Told them they couldn't go out unless they already co-habitated. (enforcing social distancing)
    They turned around.
    Here's Montana's recommendation for social distancing from Fish, Wildlife & Parks:

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes Cub Special Ed, Hardtailjohn, Amy, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Lewis View Post
    We in Colorado got the shelter in place order that goes into effect this morning. There are exceptions such as essential services which include agriculture, taking care of livestock ect....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1585165023357.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	47858

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning to fly out this morning to check on some pasture seeding I finished yesterday and also take a measurement on a harrow that needs a repair. I can be there in minutes by air and drive down later with the tools I need including a welder.

Agriculture is essential by anyone's measure I'd say.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes courierguy, Hardtailjohn, hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They turned around.
    That cop must've graduated top of his class. They rode there together in the truck and now have to go home together in the same truck, but can't ride together in the boat.....sheer genius. They should've sneezed on him.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    For us in Oklahoma were under an essential businesses only rule for all counties with active cases (19 of 77 counties by this mornings count) but the "essential" list is quite large, including construction and its supporting functions so were still working, in the office (but we each have our own) and with essentially no in-person meetings.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    My airport is a slice of Old Florida, X58. I can go fly and not come within a hundred yards of another human. I will fly tomorrow on my birthday!
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    Here's Montana's recommendation for social distancing from Fish, Wildlife & Parks:

Trout must be bigger now!

Sent from my SM-J320V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    They turned around.
    Well, disregard my previous comment. Recreational fishing is closed in Washington now.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...ow-coronavirus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    My airport is a slice of Old Florida, X58. I can go fly and not come within a hundred yards of another human. I will fly tomorrow on my birthday!
    Jumped at Indiantown in the early 70's, love it there. Popenhager I think ran it then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    Well, disregard my previous comment. Recreational fishing is closed in Washington now.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...ow-coronavirus
    IMHO the fish cop was overstepping his authority.
    The fishing ban went into effect yesterday evening march 25,
    this incident happened tuesday march 24.
    Interestingly, the photo they used on that "WA bans recreational fishing" link shows a lone fisherman with no one else in sight--
    social distancing guidelines complied with.

I kinda get it, the news showed footage from some parks & trails with a buncha people all clustered up--
    including some big rock promontory (in a Seattle area park?) with people all over it. Waay closer than 6'.
    Fishing while observing distancing guidelines seems like a good way to avoid that, if you wanna be outdoors.
    But I guess the innocent have to suffer along with the guilty.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

But I guess the innocent have to suffer along with the guilty.
    Right. For the first time since the mess started, I'm feeling thwarted. My wife and I have been going out on the Snake River almost every week since a year ago spring. It's something we do regardless of if the fish are biting. Last month we never saw more than 2 other boats whenever we went out.

Of course, the Snake is also Idaho water. We could launch from the other side, at least for a few more days maybe. And the Clearwater is just across the bridge....

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing sez you can't be out in your boat. Just no poaching.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes RVBottomly, hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Clyde Dawson owns it. He is about 93. No helicopters, parachutists, ultralights, etc..etc. Do have P-51s, however.

Quote Originally Posted by okmike View Post
    Jumped at Indiantown in the early 70's, love it there. Popenhager I think ran it then.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been under these orders in CA now for about a week. Each county interrupts what is essential vs nonessential. The list of essential is longer than nonessential. Only mention regarding aviation is that flight schools are closed. Gun stores in my county specifically listed as essential; other counties nonessential. San Luis Obispo county ......
    Marty
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    These restrictions are a pain, but they can keep you guys in the middle of the country ahead of the curve. We here in NY have half the cases in the whole US. Our current infection rate is about 2 per 1000 population. The total of the whole US WITH NY included is less than POINT 2, ten times less. NY, especially the city failed to heed the warnings coming from Italy and other places. The citidots continued to have large gatherings, weddings, cocktail parties etc. The numbskull Mayor was telling people to go see a broadway show about two weeks ago. All of a sudden the fertilizer hit the fan and the hospitals are overrun. Remember, what we do today affects what happens two to three weeks from now.

BTW, I’m not an alarmist but facts are facts. There’s a lot of people here so 2 out of a thousand translates to 37,000 cases in NY State today. Currently doubling every three days. Best two things you can do: avoid crowds and wash your hands.....and definitely go flying.....alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you serious about gun stores being essential? Are we going to exchange gunfire over toilet paper?

Flight schools are still doing business in SAN, but I refused students starting three weeks ago - even 180 students.
    Our daily ops are less than half - yesterday I had the airport to myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup... Gun stores and Gun ammo stores are "Essential" in the Great State of Texas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Our daily ops are less than half - yesterday I had the airport to myself.
    I had a survey pop up when I was reading Kitplanes online. It asked this very question, leading with "has GA activity increased since the pandemic?" Or something like that.

I was wondering if that was true anywhere. Things have definitely slowed down around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
    Yup... Gun stores and Gun ammo stores are "Essential" in the Great State of Texas.
    Many locales are ordering gun stores shut down.
    I don't know that I'd consider gun stores "essential"...but then again,
    if you order them shut down, that's a de facto restriction on gun purchases & may be a violation of the 2nd amendment.
    In fact, the mayor of Edmonds WA attempted to invoke emergency powers to revoke privileges of those holding a concealed pistol license.
    He was shut down, and the city is now discussing removing any reference to firearms from the emergency powers in the city code.

https://www.edmondsbeacon.com/story/...ban/22916.html
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Local news says San Diego County deems gun stores essential.

The Second Amendment says nothing about the sales of weapons. It just speaks of keeping and bearing. Most of the current court adheres to the idea that you don't add words that are not there.

Post Thanks / Like
    DON'T DO IT SJ!

Craaaap . . . . . .

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously learning that my lifestyle is on the introvert side, though I am often not and introvert.

Our community stores have not quite locked down, but most tell you to call or email a list and it will be delivered or they will set it on the steps when you get there.

I have my own gas at the hangar, so no worry there. My work gloves, (heavy equipment operating gloves) have more dirt, grease and grime in them than any amount of washing might remove, so I don't worry here.

Stay safe everyone, we will make it through.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes PerryB, RaisedByWolves, DJG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed a big difference in traffic as well as cars in parking here in St'Mary's MD . The other thing is that on the local news the reported case of infection rate per 24hrs is about 100 cases and increasing for the state. That's interesting the time here is 1731 post change time for another time zone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much the same here... snow, sunshine, rain, snow, wind, sunshine, etc... and then it's lunch time. It really hasn't changed our routine much... cows having calves, horses having foals, I'm in the paint booth or shop, unless something needs fed or helped. I just have to snicker when people can't stay home for a couple weeks without going to town.... if I didn't have to, I'd never go at all!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Michigan folks are playing pretty "fast and loose" with the order.. The Governor had to come on today and state Golf Courses are NOT essential business..
    Bob D

Post Thanks / Like
    Alaskan docs are encouraging outdoor activities. Like they could keep anyone inside with sun and 40*.

The first Alaska death happened today in Anchorage. Stay well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Alaskan docs are encouraging outdoor activities. Like they could keep anyone inside with sun and 40*.

The first Alaska death happened today in Anchorage. Stay well.
    That just changed:

The other mandate, which will go into effect at 5 p.m. on March 28, requires that everybody in Alaska - except for those engaged in essential health care services, public government services, and essential business activities - must "remain at their place of residence and practice social distancing."

It starts with NO INTERSTATE travel unless essential, (defines essential as food gathering, medical or for assisting family with medical).

Getting serious here in Alaska, first death in the state to this.

On we go.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Alaska Health Mandates from Saturday 3/28 to sometime in April. http://dhss.alaska.gov/News/Document...te-011-012.pdf

At least they've started the process. Fishing boat travel will require careful self-monitoring given our experience with the 1918 Spanish Flu. Same now for air travel to communities.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    More walkers out today than I’ve seen since I moved here. You can go outdoors and maintain separation. I had a nice visit with neighbors yesterday from 6’. All good.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Hardtailjohn liked this post